Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
We’re pretending switch is a home console again … :ROFLMAO:

What a farce. Nintendo got their ass whipped and quit the home console space altogether.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
More like he will say they could stream it to the swirch
Its a possibility but I doubt streaming COD on the switch would be an enjoyable experience especially with it being a competitive FPS. Unless the consumer just want to play the campaign but still that wouldn't be the ideal way to play this game.

And would that justify a price parity with the console versions?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Its a possibility but I doubt streaming COD on the switch would be an enjoyable experience especially with it being a competitive FPS. Unless the consumer just want to play the campaign but still that wouldn't be the ideal way to play this game.

And would that justify a price parity with the console versions?
When has Activision worried about justifying their pricing for games?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
When has Activision worried about justifying their pricing for games?
Never. I was asking from the consumer viewpoint. The ideal of a streaming version of COD as a compromise because the system cant handle it is not a compelling product to even put out nor would it sale well. Only 1st party Nintendo games would get a pass with switch fan when it comes to price.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Never. I was asking from the consumer viewpoint. The ideal of a streaming version of COD as a compromise because the system cant handle it is not a compelling product to even put out nor would it sale well. Only 1st party Nintendo games would get a pass with switch fan when it comes to price.
Dude, I saw someone pay $70 Canadian for the shitty SpongeBob remaster on Switch. Don’t kid yourself, Switch owners will pay full pop for any old shit, as long as it comes on that little black wafer that fits in their tablet!

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Dude, I saw someone pay $70 Canadian for the shitty SpongeBob remaster on Switch. Don’t kid yourself, Switch owners will pay full pop for any old shit, as long as it comes on that little black wafer that fits in their tablet!
I Believe You Arab GIF by GIPHY News

You Win This Time Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I would like to invite some members and lurkers to take a look into this section of the Europa website.

Simply filter by "mergers" as your keyword and you will see the position of the Commission when discussing a lot of them. I'm less and less sold that the EC will approve this deal without any structural remedies. Here are my 2 cents at the moment about the big three:

FTC
They are pretty much powerless against the big conglomerates in the US, which is why I think they're sandbagging a little. I don't see a court agreeing with them on blocking the bill, so it's pretty much a given that it would be approved in the US.

European Commission
The EC is more likely to accept behavioural remedies however, I still think they will require some form of divestiture, either from Activision or Blizzard (or both). I could see a world where they are allowed to keep all the studios but would be forced to sell some IP, including, but not limited to, Call of Duty. More on this below.

CMA
The CMA is probably the biggest barrier to this deal. As @KiryuRealty said plenty of times, their notice of remedies document reads as if it is some kind of poison pill: They are not saying outright they will require divestiture, but they are pretty much implying that. For those unaware, here are the scenarios:

• Requiring a partial divestiture of Activision Blizzard, Inc. This may be:
    • Divestiture of the business associated with Call of Duty;
    • Divestiture of the Activision segment of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (the Activision segment), which would include the business associated with Call of Duty;
    • Divestiture of the Activision segment and the Blizzard segment (the Blizzard segment) of Activision Blizzard, Inc., which would include the business associated with Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, among other titles.

If I were to put my money on something, I'd say the European Commission could take the route in the first bullet point, while the CMA is more likely to take the route of the third point. Why do I say this? Because the CMA has mentioned other IP Microsoft took from other platforms, and I think they may be reviewing all the IP ABK owns to understand how much value could gamers on other platforms lose.

My bets TL;DR

FTC - Fuck all
EC - Divestiture of Call of Duty IP
CMA - Divestiture of Activision and Blizzard

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Update posted by Idas from mlex

N7JLhhj_d.webp

3rd pont is interesting, why even say this passive aggressive statement If your confident in what you offered?
The arrogance on display from MS is unreal. They are depending on CMA’s decision here and ending with that aggressive third statement. They sound salty AF and I believe they know that their “solutions” aren’t gonna sway the CMA.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
One day apart from the CMA decision. Yeah they can no longer use EC decision to pressure CMA.

I do wonder if there are any talks happening between CMA and EC, decision dates are awfully close.

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
One day apart from the CMA decision. Yeah they can no longer use EC decision to pressure CMA.

I do wonder if there are any talks happening between CMA and EC, decision dates are awfully close.
Why would anyone look at this (especially with the dates lining up on other regulatory bodies) and think "this is good news."

• they're_right_you_know

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

On some level, they likely are.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Why would anyone look at this (especially with the dates lining up on other regulatory bodies) and think "this is good news."
I guess there can be arguments made from both sides whether it's good news or bad news. But personally i don't see it as good news, It will become more painful for them if things don't go well for them in london with the CMA hearing, and EC starts asking for more stronger concessions.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I would like to invite some members and lurkers to take a look into this section of the Europa website.

Simply filter by "mergers" as your keyword and you will see the position of the Commission when discussing a lot of them. I'm less and less sold that the EC will approve this deal without any structural remedies. Here are my 2 cents at the moment about the big three:

FTC
They are pretty much powerless against the big conglomerates in the US, which is why I think they're sandbagging a little. I don't see a court agreeing with them on blocking the bill, so it's pretty much a given that it would be approved in the US.

European Commission
The EC is more likely to accept behavioural remedies however, I still think they will require some form of divestiture, either from Activision or Blizzard (or both). I could see a world where they are allowed to keep all the studios but would be forced to sell some IP, including, but not limited to, Call of Duty. More on this below.

CMA
The CMA is probably the biggest barrier to this deal. As @KiryuRealty said plenty of times, their notice of remedies document reads as if it is some kind of poison pill: They are not saying outright they will require divestiture, but they are pretty much implying that. For those unaware, here are the scenarios:

If I were to put my money on something, I'd say the European Commission could take the route in the first bullet point, while the CMA is more likely to take the route of the third point. Why do I say this? Because the CMA has mentioned other IP Microsoft took from other platforms, and I think they may be reviewing all the IP ABK owns to understand how much value could gamers on other platforms lose.

My bets TL;DR

FTC - Fuck all
EC - Divestiture of Call of Duty IP
CMA - Divestiture of Activision and Blizzard
You clearly don’t seem to know the FTC has its own administrative court, and hasn’t lost a case there yet.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You clearly don’t seem to know the FTC has its own administrative court, and hasn’t lost a case there yet.
They just got done losing the Meta/Within Unlimited case. Except instead of officially "losing" it they withdrew the case to go back to arbitration for the sole purpose of allowing the deal to go through. Its the most recent closed case here.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If MS says Xbox "will be okay" without ABK, why make such a fuss trying to buy it? They wouldn't be...lying, would they? Surely not? For shame if so.
Because MS thinks they'd be ok without ABK, but that they'd be much better with ABK