Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
EU will 100% ask for concessions, will depend how harsh it is. What will really surprise me is how much control Microsoft will have control of the price of the license of putting cod on competitor cloud platforms. If the EU aren't complete idiots they will have to find a way of controlling that.
Yep if the price of the license is astronomical to basically prohibit it, then the EU will look like even dumber idiots. That's something I didn't even think about and 100% why MS is so heavily pushing these licensing deals, I'm sure they'll include a poison pill after X amount of years the cost to license goes up.

Reactions: FatKaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Are people actually taking that article seriously? Who are the "sources" in there? Which way do they lean? Are they representing any given side in the proceedings? If so which one?

The fact is we've only seen Microsoft representatives out here talking about the deal for the past couple of weeks, so I'm inclined to believe the "sources" in that article are just more Microsoft people applying their own perspective on the deal proceedings. Unless we get actual word from the EC, ALWAYS take these kinds of articles with big Pink Himalayan grains of salt.
I posted this before, but all conveniently before the CMA hearing aswell....

EU have asked for an extension to evaluate things, how are these sources so confident this early?

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Bryank75

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Are people actually taking that article seriously? Who are the "sources" in there? Which way do they lean? Are they representing any given side in the proceedings? If so which one?

The fact is we've only seen Microsoft representatives out here talking about the deal for the past couple of weeks, so I'm inclined to believe the "sources" in that article are just more Microsoft people applying their own perspective on the deal proceedings. Unless we get actual word from the EC, ALWAYS take these kinds of articles with big Pink Himalayan grains of salt.

I've seen people already declaring the deal will go through based on this shoddy reporting. It's a cycle at this point, but those with vested interests never learn not to buy into it. It's a logical fallacy - appeal to authority. Three different regulatory bodies have implemented roadblocks to this deal going through as it was originally conceived. But an unidentified insider in an internet article says it's all okay, so it must be. Real head-scratching stuff when, in reality, we won't have any real information until the EC gives it to us.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

For all we know this could be another PR Blitz from Microsoft. "Sources" told bloomberg who im sure isnt above running Smut for microsoft. Maybe im coping though.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
For all we know this could be another PR Blitz from Microsoft. "Sources" told bloomberg who im sure isnt above running Smut for microsoft. Maybe im coping though.
Nahh you are right to be suspicious, Bloomberg is not the most reliable source ( anyone remember the article saying Sony brough Square ) and worse sources are people on twitter. Reee are already celebrating. After my hiatus of 2 years, I decided to go there ask "why are people cheering, what do we gain from this"...I love when people try to disguise their bias with "the Activision employees are now free from Bobby" etc. This is just ridiculous and funny when you remember those are the people who say they are anti-capitalists.

I just want this to be over and hope for the best - that the gaming industry does not get in a worse state.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Nahh you are right to be suspicious, Bloomberg is not the most reliable source ( anyone remember the article saying Sony brough Square ) and worse sources are people on twitter. Reee are already celebrating. After my hiatus of 2 years, I decided to go there ask "why are people cheering, what do we gain from this"...I love when people try to disguise their bias with "the Activision employees are now free from Bobby" etc. This is just ridiculous and funny when you remember those are the people who say they are anti-capitalists.

I just want this to be over and hope for the best - that the gaming industry does not get in a worse state.
Pretty obvious it's about beating / punishing Playstation for them.

We just need to hang back and watch this all play out. Sucks that there's still almost 2 months of this back and forth nonsense left though.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Im confused, the eu was always more of a sure thing, its the cma the big hurdle, why People are acting now like the cma doesnt exist?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Reee is creating a fantasy narrative where the CMA is collaborating with the EU in the sense that they'll also approve and leave enforcement of behavioural remedies to the EU, remedies which the CMA has rejected as being sufficient on their own.

I don't have a good read of the EU situation, but if they do approve it'll be a completely political move by Vestager.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Reee is creating a fantasy narrative where the CMA is collaborating with the EU in the sense that they'll also approve and leave enforcement of behavioural Even the EU remedies to the EU, remedies which the CMA has rejected as being sufficient on their own.

I don't have a good read of the EU situation, but if they do approve it'll be a completely political move by Vestager.

Even the EU regulator's president implied in a recent interview that just because they rule one way doesn't mean another will. They're doing some reaching.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Reeeeee really bought this nonsense report lol
Reeeee in a nutshell

dont-jump-jump.gif

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Eurogamer is in bed with MS, this is more PR pressure even though any one could make up a story with unnanmed sources.

Reactions: Gamernyc78