Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They just got done losing the Meta/Within Unlimited case. Except instead of officially "losing" it they withdrew the case to go back to arbitration for the sole purpose of allowing the deal to go through. Its the most recent closed case here.
The difference in that case is that the FTC was out of its mind and was probably just trying to fuck with meta as it made no sense why they would argue against such a tiny acquisition. Activision is much different as it's a huge corporation that can have lasting impact across the entire industry.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This charade that the FTC doesn't know the law or what its doing originated from xbots and needs to end.
"Two important precedents happened with the Meta/Within case:

The court accepted FTC's definition of a small nasceant market, a huge implication on future cases as much of prior anti-trust was based on what market definition is.

The court accepted FTC's theory of buying leading firms in nasceant markets is anti-competitive

Such a theory has not been accepted by courts in over 40 years. Really shows how the tides are slowly changing on the judiciary level. On the Senate/Congress level things are changing very fast and, well on the regulator level, the FTC has already completely changed."

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
fVMMMlM.png

Whelp. EU seems to be on-board.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Care to post the full article?

BRUSSELS, March 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft's (MSFT.O) readiness to offer licensing deals to rivals is likely to address EU antitrust concerns over its $69 billion acquisition of Activision (ATVI.O) without the need for asset sales, three people familiar with the matter said.

The European Commission is not expected to demand that Microsoft sell assets to win its approval, the people said.

Microsoft President Brad Smith last month said the U.S. software giant was ready to offer rivals licensing deals to address antitrust concerns but it would not sell Activision's lucrative "Call of Duty" franchise.

The EU competition enforcer declined to comment.

Microsoft said it was "committed to offering effective  and  easily  enforceable solutions  that address the European Commission's concerns".

"Our commitment to grant long term 100% equal access to  Call of Duty to Sony, Steam,  NVIDIA and others  preserves the deal's benefits to gamers and developers and increases competition in the market," a spokesperson said.

It's a bunch of nothing, lmao.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Welp, I know how to copy-paste a link

BRUSSELS, March 2 (Reuters) - Microsoft's (MSFT.O) readiness to offer licensing deals to rivals is likely to address EU antitrust concerns over its $69 billion acquisition of Activision (ATVI.O) without the need for asset sales, three people familiar with the matter said.

The European Commission is not expected to demand that Microsoft sell assets to win its approval, the people said.

Microsoft President Brad Smith last month said the U.S. software giant was ready to offer rivals licensing deals to address antitrust concerns but it would not sell Activision's lucrative "Call of Duty" franchise.

The EU competition enforcer declined to comment.

Microsoft said it was "committed to offering effective  and  easily  enforceable solutions  that address the European Commission's concerns".

"Our commitment to grant long term 100% equal access to  Call of Duty to Sony, Steam,  NVIDIA and others  preserves the deal's benefits to gamers and developers and increases competition in the market," a spokesperson said.

That's the whole article. I wouldn't be celebrating based on this.

Damn @Swift_Star beat me to it

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
EU is so gullible, and I'd never thought I'd see the day where American and UK anti trust was tougher on corporate mergers than them. Dissapointing if this turns out to be the case.

Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

So, it is nothing burger by scummerland citizen?
I am shocked.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

Agreed. "Sources" and "insiders" are not reliable indicators of which way the EU will go. Then again, why wait for an actual decision when you can make a clickbait article now.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I compiled a list of all mergers approved or prohibited between January 2022 and today, by the EC:
So, out of 14 deals
  • 2 prohibited
  • 1 approved unconditionally
  • 11 approved with conditions, 1 being exclusively behavioural and the other 10 with divestiture.
Thinking there will be no behavioural or structural remedies in the EU is just wishful thinking at this stage. Even Kustomer, a customer service platform, being acquired by Facebook, which is technically not one, had behavioural remedies added to it. It's beyond me how someone could consider that the EU will have no concerns whatsoever with an acquisition that is valued at 70% of the main competitor's value as a company.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I always said, sony needs to stop wasting time trying to kill this and make deals of their own. Circle the Wagons around Square and capcom at the very least whatever that looks like.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I always said, sony needs to stop wasting time trying to kill this and make deals of their own. Circle the Wagons around Square and capcom at the very least whatever that looks like.
Best case scenario is this deal failing and no one else doing this kind of shit. This also why it's so important the deal falls through. We don't need this kind of consolidation.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
EU is so gullible, and I'd never thought I'd see the day where American and UK anti trust was tougher on corporate mergers than them. Dissapointing if this turns out to be the case.

That Vesteger has always been money before principles..... the minute Apple put a data-center in Denmark, she let them go on the Irish tax situation more or less.

Europe is really not trustworthy, too much lobbying now.... Brussels is worse than Washington.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

It's a bunch of nothing, lmao.
I am amazed at how insanely gullible the EU is, even after having MS spit in their faces on the Bethesda deal.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I better see some harsh behavioral remedies from the EU that all but make COD a multi platform game for X amount of years if they don't want divestiture. Or else what was the whole dog and pony show for if they approve it with no concessions. Still good luck to MS trying to get through the FTC and CMA. Both want nothing less than a seperate activision or blocked deal.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I better see some harsh behavioral remedies from the EU that all but make COD a multi platform game for X amount of years if they don't want divestiture. Or else what was the whole dog and pony show for if they approve it with no concessions. Still good luck to MS trying to get through the FTC and CMA. Both want nothing less than a seperate activision or blocked deal.
EU will 100% ask for concessions, will depend how harsh it is. What will really surprise me is how much control Microsoft will have control of the price of the license of putting cod on competitor cloud platforms. If the EU aren't complete idiots they will have to find a way of controlling that.

Reactions: nongkris
24 Jun 2022
Are people actually taking that article seriously? Who are the "sources" in there? Which way do they lean? Are they representing any given side in the proceedings? If so which one?

The fact is we've only seen Microsoft representatives out here talking about the deal for the past couple of weeks, so I'm inclined to believe the "sources" in that article are just more Microsoft people applying their own perspective on the deal proceedings. Unless we get actual word from the EC, ALWAYS take these kinds of articles with big Pink Himalayan grains of salt.