Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

And I guess we are expected to believe she wont use her position to further Microsofts interests, where she will be given an even more profitable role after she finishes up working for the EU?

The conflict of interest is astounding. It screams corruption.

Even the fact that they are changing established rules to accommodate this hiring. So there was nobody qualified in ALL OF EUROPE for this role? BULLSHIT!!

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And I guess we are expected to believe she wont use her position to further Microsofts interests, where she will be given an even more profitable role after she finishes up working for the EU?

The conflict of interest is astounding. It screams corruption.

Even the fact that they are changing established rules to accommodate this hiring. So there was nobody qualified in ALL OF EUROPE for this role? BULLSHIT!!
There is one publisher which comes to mind: Ubisoft. Remember guys Tencent had like 20-30% share of ABK but Microsoft still bought them. I wouldn’t wonder if Ubisoft is their next target.

Reactions: Bryank75

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
More like Microsoft Dystopia because everyone else is getting blocked for small stuff like a fitness app.

They are also ruling against Apple and Google for mobile (with the help and support from Microsoft of course).
Facebook actually "won" that case (FTC withdrew before the trial got started after realizing how weak* their case was.)

*I'm not actually sure if it was as weak as people think, it would all depend on if home-use VR actually ever takes off. If it does, which I doubt, then home fitness should actually be a big and viable market.

edit: @Eternal_Wings there's no way that Microsoft wants all or even most of Ubisoft. They are trying to keep headcount down right now, not bloat it with Ubi's utterly massive payroll. They might have an interest in certain Ubisoft studios though, if they need to sell some for liquidity or if they ever do outright go bankrupt and get dismantled. Scrolling through their portfolio, MS would fit well with the Paris Studio (Just Dance,) Nadeo (Trackmania,) the AC IP, which is passed around between teams, Annecy (extreme sports games like Steep and Rider's Republic,) RedLynx (Trials.) For what its worth, in such a sell-off, maybe Sony goes after Red Storm (Tom Clancy,) San Fran (Stick of Trurth and now Rocksmith,) Massive (Avatar, Star Wars) or Toronto (For Honor.) Its also possible that some sort of French corporate protection law is out there, preventing an international/non-EU takeover. They're very protective of their cultural ecosystem, which has always included "new art" like games.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023

The current state of the gaming community is too weird for me.

giphy.gif

Screenshoted just in case :

llQVNM7.png

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
There is one publisher which comes to mind: Ubisoft. Remember guys Tencent had like 20-30% share of ABK but Microsoft still bought them. I wouldn’t wonder if Ubisoft is their next target.

They won't be able to acquire Ubisoft (at least, nowhere near as easily as ABK which has been hell for MS to acquire as-is). In fact, they won't be able to acquire any other gaming publishers for a long while. Microsoft argued for ABK on the grounds of being in 3rd place relative Nintendo (2nd) and Sony (1st). They argued on grounds of having way less market share than PlayStation. With ABK they now leapfrog Nintendo and are in spitting distance of PlayStation's annual revenue.

While they have also tried arguing market share in terms of consoles sold, opponents to future gaming acquisitions can easily point out Microsoft themselves saying console sales don't matter, not to mention, console sales are only a means to an end and actual market share is measured by revenue generated by the console brand, which is a LOT more than just consoles sold.

If regulators suddenly "change up" their own viewpoints just to accommodate MS buying more gaming publishers to "compete", when buying both Zenimax and ABK can statistically be pointed to as having boosted them more than enough to "compete", then you will see regulators dismantled and torn apart by lawsuits the likes of which has never been seen. Companies like Microsoft (and yes Zzero I know MS isn't the only company that's done this) can install people with close connections into regulatory groups, but the law doesn't end with them. It never did.

I think some of you are stressing out too much about MS going after more publishers because the way I see it, they won't be able to. At least not for a very long while. The main point of concern we should really be having about the acquisition is what do the concessions look like. So far MS have tried getting out front with their own remedies, but these are weaksauce remedies that still do their absolute best to have MS keep the advantage. What we need to see are what hardline concessions the CMA, EC, and FTC demand out of Microsoft for the deal.

That is going to set a precedent to other companies and maybe ward off other Big Tech from thinking they can just effortlessly replicate Microsoft's strategy for gaming acquisitions and consolidate everything to their absolute preferred advantage. It'll set guidelines for other companies like Sony who are likely looking into some larger gaming acquisitions of their own. It'll set guidelines for stipulating where the independent, open 3P software market needs to look like in terms of publisher stability and baseline revenue to help ensure enough choice in 3P relations for platform holders (where they can actually operate independently vs. going through another competitor for such opportunities i.e like Sony trying to get development or marketing deals with ABK after MS acquires them, which will be virtually impossible).

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Honestly the most annoying part for me is going to be MS and their shills gloating for who knows how long over this, as well as the fanboys on era writing essays lecturing us on why Playstation deserves to be destroyed and how they hope they buy more and how great Xbox is, etc.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Honestly the most annoying part for me is going to be MS and their shills gloating for who knows how long over this, as well as the fanboys on era writing essays lecturing us on why Playstation deserves to be destroyed and how they hope they buy more and how great Xbox is, etc.
No one's going to believe Xbox is great at least

Reactions: Deleted member 417

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
Honestly the most annoying part for me is going to be MS and their shills gloating for who knows how long over this, as well as the fanboys on era writing essays lecturing us on why Sony deserved to be destroyed and how great Xbox is, etc.

Snap out of it. Sony isn’t destroyed.. letting that kind of talk from delusional xboners affect you would be absurd especially when you see the opposite happening in the real world with PS5 destroying Xbox everywhere you look. PlayStation will always prevail because it understands how to make great games.. Microsoft only understands how to buy and destroy. Talent will always gravitate to the places where it can grow and prosper and that’s with Sony.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Snap out of it. Sony isn’t destroyed.. letting that kind of talk from delusional xboners affect you would be absurd especially when you see the opposite happening in the real world with PS5 destroying Xbox everywhere you look. PlayStation will always prevail because it understands how to make great games.. Microsoft only understands how to buy and destroy. Talent will always gravitate to the places where it can grow and prosper and that’s with Sony.
That was a typo, I don't think Sony is destroyed. My bad, haha.

I was mainly mentioning how there's going to be a lot of dumb takes coming soon from them about how great it would be if Playstation was gone/significantly weaker.

Also how they think Playstation should disappear because they were mean to Xbox, lmao.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That was a typo, I don't think Sony is destroyed. My bad, haha.

I was mainly mentioning how there's going to be a lot of dumb takes coming soon from them about how great it would be if Playstation was gone/significantly weaker.

Also how they think Playstation should disappear because they were mean to Xbox, lmao.
I understood exactly what you meant. It's going to be ugly the next few weeks.

Microsoft made Sony their primary (only?) target during this whole debacle.