Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Remember the poster who called me a cunt in two messages in a row, was the one asking can't we all get along in the previous message. Thanks for proving my point.
You hit a nerve, it's as simple as that.

Smash Pacific Rim GIF

24 Jun 2022

Is this Ida's POV on the EC statement & CMA? Sure reads like it. It'll be interesting to see how MS responds to the EC's concerns.

Still find it funny people are pointing to the public comments to CMA as something more than what it really is. I knew they threw out non-UK letters (hopefully) but I genuinely wonder how many of those letters in favor had reasons that just boiled down to "COD in Game Pass saves me money!".

Because I don't think that boils down to a very good reasoning on its own, even if it is a customer (or would-be customer) saying it.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Still find it funny people are pointing to the public comments to CMA as something more than what it really is. I knew they threw out non-UK letters (hopefully) but I genuinely wonder how many of those letters in favor had reasons that just boiled down to "COD in Game Pass saves me money!".

I think it has to account for something, why else would they open the forum for it otherwise.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You can't reason here with majority of the members. They are brainwashed and jealous of Game Pass. Trust me, if Sony offered a similar service it would have been a different tune. It's all Tribalism.
Yes, everybody is jealous of the subscription service that:
  • Has been continually missing its growth targets,
  • Has the fewest subscribers among console platforms and ranks in the last position,
  • And has tanked first-party game sales by up to 80% when the claim was that it would increase game sales.
Hot Sauce Crying GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
what hardcore gamer gives 2 shits about a digital-streaming service on a console with no exclusive games?

We buy physical discs (which MS refuses to support).
I mean.... can't the same thing be said about the music industry? Who buys physical CDs anymore? Do those even still exist? Spotify is regarded as the best thing ever for music. Why it cannot be the same for games?

I like Physical games as well and used to be a huge collector. The last time I collected physical games was during the PS4/X1 era. But now days both on my PS5 and Series X I do not buy physical games anymore at all for multiple reasons.

Reason A) - I do not have to worry about going to the store at midnight or the next morning to get the next big game
Reason B) - You can pre-download/load it before it releases
Reason C) - No clutter anymore in the house and running out of shelf space.

While I get the negatives of not being able to trade a game in or sell it back, I do not buy games anymore that I know I won't play. And if its a game I was thinking of trying, I can usually try it on Game Pass.

The reality is that the digital future is coming whether you like it or not and to be fair we are basically almost here. I highly doubt you will see physical media anymore come PS6 and Next Xbox in the year 2028 or later.

How exactly is MS not supporting physical media anymore?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

Yeah, not sure what that is about lol.

The only thing I can see is that because of smart delivery, cross-gen games have XBO SKUs on discs, but when XBO games phase out, the discs will also only have the Series SKUs on them.

But that isn't the same as "not supporting physical media" either, lol.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I mean.... can't the same thing be said about the music industry? Who buys physical CDs anymore? Do those even still exist? Spotify is regarded as the best thing ever for music. Why it cannot be the same for games?

I like Physical games as well and used to be a huge collector. The last time I collected physical games was during the PS4/X1 era. But now days both on my PS5 and Series X I do not buy physical games anymore at all for multiple reasons.

Reason A) - I do not have to worry about going to the store at midnight or the next morning to get the next big game
Reason B) - You can pre-download/load it before it releases
Reason C) - No clutter anymore in the house and running out of shelf space.

While I get the negatives of not being able to trade a game in or sell it back, I do not buy games anymore that I know I won't play. And if its a game I was thinking of trying, I can usually try it on Game Pass.

The reality is that the digital future is coming whether you like it or not and to be fair we are basically almost here. I highly doubt you will see physical media anymore come PS6 and Next Xbox in the year 2028 or later.

Check out "does it Play" on Twitter. Basically Xbox disc's often don't have a playable build of the game or the full game data on the disc while Switch and PS do, essentially requiring a download. Personally, I enjoy having a shelf with physical media on it and tend to just order online and wait for it to come in the mail. Plus I'm weird, I actually like chatting with folks at game stores.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

This was fixed last year, the mandatory online check has been removed.

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Check out "does it Play" on Twitter. Basically Xbox disc's often don't have a playable build of the game or the full game data on the disc while Switch and PS do, essentially requiring a download.Personally, I enjoy having a shelf with physical media on it and tend to just order online and wait for it to come in the mail. Plus I'm weird, I actually like chatting with folks at game stores.
ehhh.... if my memory serves me correctly anytime i insert a PS5 or a Xbox disc into my consoles there is always a download... its been like that forever and nothing new. Pretty positive that when i inserted FF7 Remake Interlude the PS5 still had to download the game. Ill have to double check this but i am pretty positive its like that for PS5/XSX.

I've never had any issues playing any games on any consoles when using a physical disc. And the data will always be missing, because there are new patches for the games and they need to be fully updated to run.

REPLY UPDATE - Looks like what you were talking about is a license check update which is a different thing and has been fixed for a while now.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Xbox had a one-time check even if the disc itself contained the whole content but that was removed last year.

Now, almost all modern games being unplayable to a point without day 1 patches is a whole another thing.

Callisto Protocl is damn near unplayable without patches.

Kingdom Hearts 3 didn't even ship with the ending of the game on disc IIRC, it was included in the day 1 patch.

Shit like that happens everywhere and can't be blamed on any one party doing it more than the other.

Reactions: Elder Legend