Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Apparently South Korea also defined the cloud as a separate market.

View attachment 1495
Yeah saw that earlier.

MS appealed on the market definition as well.

Well we now have EC calling it a market and south korea as well.

I don't know if FTC have come out and said they consider it a separate market, but they seem aligned with the CMA and most likely call it separate as well.

That appeal on the market defintion ain't looking so good.

Reactions: AshHunter216

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah saw that earlier.

MS appealed on the market definition as well.

Well we now have EC calling it a market and south korea as well.

I don't know if FTC have come out and said they consider it a separate market, but they seem aligned with the CMA and most likely call it separate as well.

That appeal on the market defintion ain't looking so good.
They would have to fall back on their other arguments, namely that owning ABK wouldn't give them an unfair advantage in the cloud market and that the 10 year deals should be good enough to solve everything.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
As far as I understand things, the CAT ruling doesn't happen today regardless, but I could be mistaken. Apparently the hearing is supposed to go on for a few hours as well.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
If what @MrRevocs1256 is correct, it's actually unexpected for me: I always thought MS would get cold feet, not ABK.
ABK might lose the window to renew contracts with Sony for their games (which are pretty valuable, regardless of delulded xbots saying their relationship is sour, it's not). Also, the deal probably freezes reinvestment in the company.
They probably simply want to move on from this.