Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Give us the deets @Jim Ryan
Sci Fi I Know Nothing GIF by Warner Archive

24 Jun 2022
Yeah completeley right. I was trying to find details of the deal earlier to confirm if they signed console and cloud. It was only a console deal they signed.

Has zeroe bearing on the CMA decision. We are basically in the same position as yesterday with the CMA.

Ms wont be able to use this against them, as CMA doesn't give shit about console contracts.

At the same time, Sony doesn't technically provide an individual cloud service anymore, either. Cloud streaming is technically tied to PS+ Extra and Premium, it's an extended feature of them. Microsoft can easily argue that and CMA would have to accept, since again, Sony don't have an individual cloud streaming service anymore.

It doesn't matter if xCloud is tethered to Game Pass, by the way. So you're right CMA don't care about console contracts, but they aren't going to hold anything against Microsoft for not doing a cloud deal for Sony, when PlayStation doesn't have its own specific cloud streaming service.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
these Xbox twitter guys are the same losers on Reset and the same ones on r/GamesLeaks

Never despised a part of the community before like this. Ever since this Microsoft astroturfing war allowed these people who don’t actually play games to get involved in gaming conversations the industry has been increasingly and increasingly getting more fucked

24 Jun 2022

These shills still want another acquisition of publisher. Is it never enough for Xbox Cunts?

No, it's not. They want Microsoft to have complete control of the industry, push PlayStation out of business altogether, and expect to get "free" games on Game Pass in perpetuity since they supposedly love these games, but are too cheap to pay for quality.

And Microsoft 100% enable this type of stuff; people like Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg (and now, Sarah Bond and soon-to-be-MS-employee Lulu Cheng Merservey) openly associate with and encourage these toxic morons. It's why I didn't give two shits when Major Nelson announced his retirement: he was the archetype for people like Destin Legaire in the first place. You have no impact worth preserving in this industry, goodbye.

But of course, the official PlayStation Twitter account, oblivious to any of this, had to give him a send-off. At times it feels like they are just inviting a gradual teardown and crumbling of their own gaming brand. Depending on how things shake out, it might get to the point where I just openly want an actual hungry competitor to step in as a 4th player and throw off what seems like a duopoly (or triopoly with Nintendo in the picture).

Feels like some are getting too complacent but, again, we'll see what takes shape over the next few weeks/months.

Playstation x SquareEnix?

Could be anything and I'm tired of listening to these insiders. Nothing matters unless it's officially announced. Keep in mind Snitch and several others were hyping up the May Showcase with a bunch of stuff that ended up not even happening.

So they don't have the best track record ATM.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
At the same time, Sony doesn't technically provide an individual cloud service anymore, either. Cloud streaming is technically tied to PS+ Extra and Premium, it's an extended feature of them. Microsoft can easily argue that and CMA would have to accept, since again, Sony don't have an individual cloud streaming service anymore.
Not being and individual cloud service is irellevent tbh. Many different companies provide cloud gaming services in different ways, Sony is one participant in cloud gaming who chooses to provide that way. Doesn't make them any less deserving to getting those deal.

Besides ps premium or formerly ps now has been around for years, I doubt this was an issue for regulators.

It doesn't matter if xCloud is tethered to Game Pass, by the way. So you're right CMA don't care about console contracts, but they aren't going to hold anything against Microsoft for not doing a cloud deal for Sony, when PlayStation doesn't have its own specific cloud streaming service.
Your right they aren't going to hold ms to account for not doing a cloud for Sony, and that's because those deals are garbage and they went into detail why that is in their report.

But you can bet ms would have tried to use that against the CMA regardless.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
ZZZZZZZ. No thank you, this is enough.

I mean take 2 bought Zynga, and it would be like a 30+ Billion acquisition or something it would get blocked immediately by CMA. And actually Destin again is wrong again, relationship wise Sony has a much closer relationship with Rockstar than xbox. Maybe in the 360 days they did. But now GTA V selling so many copies with Sony promoting it along with Red dead 2.

I just dont see it happening. They already are trading at 150$ a share.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
No, it's not. They want Microsoft to have complete control of the industry, push PlayStation out of business altogether, and expect to get "free" games on Game Pass in perpetuity since they supposedly love these games, but are too cheap to pay for quality.
It's a cult. It's a mindless zombie convention with no thoughts of their own. Herd mentality, basically.

That's Snitch guy also said Sony had more stuff ready to show but he has no idea why they didn't. We'll see if it's true and Sony does some damage control with a new showcase.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
UbiSoft will be better than SE imo.

Nah, Japan market is where Sony wants a bigger foot hold. And with FF14 being a big WOW competitor and now that same team just delivered FF16 which is going super well.

Ubisoft at this moment had to get their shares bought by a foreign entity so they could have control back to not sell.

SE is the way to go.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
24 Jun 2022
Not being and individual cloud service is irellevent tbh. Many different companies provide cloud gaming services in different ways, Sony is one participant in cloud gaming who chooses to provide that way. Doesn't make them any less deserving to getting those deal.

This is an idealistic argument. Problem is, the way Microsoft and the CMA would define the conditions, is based on semantics and technical classifications that I'm sure Microsoft can finess through legal speak to convince the CMA are worth accepting.

Besides ps premium or formerly ps now has been around for years, I doubt this was an issue at for regulators.

Yes but the important fact being, it's not around as its own product anymore, and Sony got rid of it for reasons that have nothing to do with MS acquiring ABK.

Your right they aren't going to hold ms to account for not doing a cloud for Sony, and that's because those deals are garbage and they went into detail why that is in their report.

But you can bet ms would have tried to use that against the CMA regardless.

Oh I'm sure they would but just as you said, all that matters to MS is that the CMA don't view Sony as a cloud gaming service provider in the same way as Boosteroid or Nvidia. Microsoft can also just say that they offered the terms to Sony at one point and Sony rejected them (which is true).

Doesn't matter (unfortunately) if the terms were trash in those deals.

It's a cult. It's a mindless zombie convention with no thoughts of their own. Herd mentality, basically.

That's Snitch guy also said Sony had more stuff ready to show but he has no idea why they didn't. We'll see if it's true and Sony does some damage control with a new showcase.

The next few weeks/months (weeks in particular) are just going to be very telling in general.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst (or at least underwhelming).

Last edited:

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Square is the way to go for first stage

Moved headquarters closer to Sony and They’ve already trimmed the fat from it. Easier to keep talent and grow. Unlike Activision and Zenimax which have and will see a lot of people leaving and people being fired.

Microsoft will never understand this and until that point they do the industry will still never be fully consumed by them

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Nah, Japan market is where Sony wants a bigger foot hold. And with FF14 being a big WOW competitor and now that same team just delivered FF16 which is going super well.

Ubisoft at this moment had to get their shares bought by a foreign entity so they could have control back to not sell.

SE is the way to go.
It should be more than just SE but it is a good buy though and atleast a start.
I mean take 2 bought Zynga, and it would be like a 30+ Billion acquisition or something it would get blocked immediately by CMA. And actually Destin again is wrong again, relationship wise Sony has a much closer relationship with Rockstar than xbox. Maybe in the 360 days they did. But now GTA V selling so many copies with Sony promoting it along with Red dead 2.

I just dont see it happening. They already are trading at 150$ a share.
Take two lost 1.1 billion dollars last year. That might not stop MS but it is worth noting. I don't see it happening either. Having King and Zynga and GTA would cause more than just concern.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This is an idealistic argument. Problem is, the way Microsoft and the CMA would define the conditions, is based on semantics and technical classifications that I'm sure Microsoft can finess through legal speak to convince the CMA are worth accepting.
Well they haven't, that's why ms have been forced to propose a new deal. Ms have been trying to argue the same for gamepass ultimate that cloud is just a feature. CMA was unmoved here.
Yes but the important fact being, it's not around as its own product anymore, and Sony got rid of it for reasons that have nothing to do with MS acquiring ABK.
None of the regulators see that as an issue though.

Oh I'm sure they would but just as you said, all that matters to MS is that the CMA don't view Sony as a cloud gaming service provider in the same way as Boosteroid or Nvidia. Microsoft can also just say that they offered the terms to Sony at one point and Sony rejected them (which is true).

Doesn't matter (unfortunately) if the terms were trash in those deals.
It does matter, cause those deals were not acceptable to the CMA. It's no different then Nvidia taking that deal. These companies taking the deal doesn't change the fact that CMA found issues with the deals themselves.

CMA identified 3 major competitors to MS in cloud gaming, Sony, Nvidia and Amazon. So they do see consider sony in cloud gaming.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It should be more than just SE but it is a good buy though.

Take two lost 1.1 billion dollars last year. That might not stop MS but it is worth noting. I don't see it happening either. Having King and Zynga and GTA would cause more than just concern.
Take-Two includes Zynga that I don't like at all, PC only studios and I have concerns about R* going forward. Why not back up Dan Houser new studio instead? Seems like the smarter bet.