Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is no way Sony will do nothing and sit ideally by. They got even a worse deal than before offered from Phil Spencer. No Crash, Spyro, Diabolo, just Call of Duty. They will/lost a big chunk of Activision content for the future.
Sony will definitely acquire Intellectual Property. First where they need to start ist Japan, they have a big hole there. No matter what some Japanese Gaming Haters here do say, but it’s important to fill the gaps in their portfolio right now. Means catering-attracting future Japanese audience is important too.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
There is no way Sony will do nothing and sit ideally by. They got even a worse deal than before offered from Phil Spencer. No Crash, Spyro, Diabolo, just Call of Duty. They will/lost a big chunk of Activision content for the future.
Sony will definitely acquire Intellectual Property. First where they need to start ist Japan, they have a big hole there. No matter what some Japanese Gaming Haters here do say, but it’s important to fill the gaps in their portfolio right now. Means catering-attracting future Japanese audience is important too.

Sony has a bigger void to fill in Japan than the West.

Only 2 Sony studios are Japanese.

Square Enix or Capcom need to be acquired.

In the West get Bungie or another studio to create a Military shooter.

Larian Studios or CDPR for Western RPGs.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
They do not really hate Japanese Gaming, they just want Sony to counter the Activision deal by buying something equally massive such as EA buyout to get hyped up and feel safe.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

This is what I have saying the whole time. They need to get Japanese publisher with valuable IPs with having potential for Multimedia and also a competent WRPG developer. But according to some Japan haters here, PlayStation needs to go full Western. PlayStation is already enough westernised. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Get Square Enix for Japanese audience and CDPR or Larian Studios for WRPGs.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They do not really hate Japanese Gaming, they just want Sony to counter the Activision deal by buying something equally massive such as EA buyout to get hyped up and feel safe.
Why does a fan need to hope for them to counter Activision? Who cares about stupid console wars. This shouldn’t be the concern of an average PlayStation fan.
Hell people with this mindset can jump ship. Xbox will welcome people like this.

Sony needs just to fill their gaps. In Japan they have only two studios with a marginal output. Square Enix is important for Japanese content. I also don’t mind if they stay semi-independent but for Sony’s own good put finally a ring on them.

Their concern for WRPG can be easily solved: Just make a good offer to CDPR or Larian Studios and one of them will join.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Glad to know you didn't read my whole post I literally said that at the end of it.

CMA already rejected MS doing all those 10 years deals with Nintendo, Nvidia, and whatever other company MS could scrap up. It was not suitable enough to address their issues with cloud gaming.

Sony, stupidly, signing a deal with MS will have no affect on the CMA decision.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Square Enix is worth it to Sony for FF14 alone. For its ongoing success and revenues as Square’s premiere game. It also directly competes against Blizzard’s WoW.

Konami is worth it for the Castlevania and MGS IPs and only for legacy. Their studios are worthless.

From Software and Kojima Productions are worth it for talent alone. This would be the play IMO. CDPR is too big of a purchase but I’d also love to see it along with those two and answers Todd Howard’s BGS.

Sony has already sweeped up all veterean FPS talent at both Bungie and for Firewalk. Valorant lead devs, 4 years of 343 staff exodus, etc…

CoD already splintered off with Respawn and gave us Apex Legends. And when it comes to that… EA and Zampella are surely thirsting at this new opportunity. It’s very doubtful Sony will keep the market still in CoD’s favor and push it as they did.

I don’t think CoD needs to be directly addressed. Just a fair playing field for competitors and it’ll resolve itself when Sony’s stops pandering to Activision.

This is all very exciting. MS buying Activision is the end of CoD’s dominance. Gamepass model and Xbox’s poor management will make sure of that. Very much looking forward to the further shakeups in online games; there’s a transformative era coming.

Once Kotick is gone Activision is done. Phil Spencer just knows how to piss away money; not create successful products.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Square Enix is worth it to Sony for FF14 alone. For its ongoing success and revenues as Square’s premiere game. It also directly competes against Blizzard’s WoW.

Konami is worth it for the Castlevania and MGS IPs and only for legacy. Their studios are worthless.

From Software and Kojima Productions are worth it for talent alone. This would be the play IMO. CDPR is too big of a purchase but I’d also love to see it along with those two and answers Todd Howard’s BGS.

Sony has already sweeped up all veterean FPS talent at both Bungie and for Firewalk. Valorant lead devs, 4 years of 343 staff exodus, etc…

CoD already splintered off with Respawn and gave us Apex Legends. And when it comes to that… EA and Zampella are surely thirsting at this new opportunity. It’s very doubtful Sony will keep the market still in CoD’s favor and push it as they did.

I don’t think CoD needs to be directly addressed. Just a fair playing field for competitors and it’ll resolve itself when Sony’s stops pandering to Activision.

This is all very exciting. MS buying Activision is the end of CoD’s dominance. Gamepass model and Xbox’s poor management will make sure of that. Very much looking forward to the further shakeups in online games; there’s a transformative era coming.

Once Kotick is gone Activision is done. Phil Spencer just knows how to piss away money; not create successful products.

A year ago I said on another forum that I'm now banned from that this deal will go through with some large concessions. I think Sony even though Youtubers are making cringe content, are in for ana awakening.

Sony made MS desperate because they were steam rolling them. MS's gamepass initiative has pushed Sony along with looking at ROI's from COD/Fortnite/Apex ect to make strategic plays.

David Jaffe to me has a Nihilistic view of how this will play out. ABK will push XBox to actually be competitive. Issue is going to be though that this play came really late in the game. The biggest titles have released on all platforms.

The only thing they can do is change Profit sharing for some titles. What they cant change is the split in actual players on those titles yet.

Bungie was the smartest play to me that i've seen sony make since Insomniac's purchase. If rumors are true about a SE pairing, Sony will have effectively covered GAAS/Mobile for most if not all regions with their purchase of SE and Bungie.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Square

Excellent points. Sony will also sweep up the talent that will bleed out of this Activision deal as well

The bigger issue for Sony is if they lose the EA Sports games then COD. They need to decide whether to stop relying on 3rd parties like this or try and secure it long term. It is critical.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Larian, Capcom, SE all sound good. CDPR is a little trickier but I could see it being a great deal for both. Sony has no presence in Eastern Europe and no Western RPGs.

I would also add at least timed console exclusives with FromSoftware and other exclusives like Ace Combat (with VR support), Persona 6, Yakuza, etc. These Japanese games aren't selling at all on Xbox so Sony can use it in their favor.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Square

Excellent points. Sony will also sweep up the talent that will bleed out of this Activision deal as well

The bigger issue for Sony is if they lose the EA Sports games then COD. They need to decide whether to stop relying on 3rd parties like this or try and secure it long term. It is critical.

The Show being on Xbox kinda shows us that the big sports organizations do not want this. So even if Microsoft were to buy EA I don’t think sports games will go. I don’t think Sony would buy EA either tho. Way too expensive due to their mobile division and I think Sony would rather pursue mobile with lower risk NetEase partnerships etc…

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
View attachment 1891
F1MabCaXoAAyIyO
What was JImbo cooking?

Fairgame$, Marathon on Xbox, Concord.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The CAT conference is today, does it change anything about the deal?
At this rate we dont know. CMA original order still in effect.
But, with the way things are going the CAT and the cma might just let this go through after today.
Expect anything, anything anything today from the CAT.
If the past 2 years teach us anything its that judges and regulators have no problem picking winners.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Arminius

19 May 2023
Personally, I think CMA will capitulate without hesitation. It’s human nature to desire not being the odd man out.

• angry
Reactions: Ezekiel
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
My 2 cents on today

Option 1
  • CMA stands firm on the August date, and Microsoft x ABK announce tomorrow that there has been an extension to the deal completion
Option 2
  • CMA accepts whatever bullshit divestment Microsoft proposed and the deal is closed
There's no other possibility here. I don't see MS and ABK not extending the deal, and I'm fully expecting the CMA to capitulate.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I swear I hate this dumb bots. My concern is they have real and close interactions with Xbox executives. They are part of the problem why Xbox started buying Publishers. Because this dumb buffoons started decades ago begging for Microsoft to gobble up Publishers. Do you know understand why it’s important that Sony needs to lockdown Square Enix?