Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Unless Sony make a big move by the end of the year, I feel like we’re watching Sony get Walkman’s to IPod here in real-time slow motion. Microsoft has a huge catalog of recognizable IP now and it’s only because of their horrible mismanagement and business model that they aren’t the dominant player. Sony can’t buy all the big companies in retaliation but I think they do need to lock down certain key Japanese partners to at least “Nintendofy” themselves from an aggressive competitor trying to consolidate.

I think Sony made the made the most of this situation by delaying it as long as possible and getting a 10 year deal instead of 3 or whatever the original plan was. But if Sony thinks they can stay the course and just develop new IP and in house Gaas I fear they will be mistaken. Unless Sony get some established ip under their belts they can’t always assume they are going to be the best selling console by 2:1 and force Microsoft to port games to them.

Another problem I see for Sony is most if not all of their major ip have gone off the deep end on “woke” politics and characters in an environment where consumers are on the look out to it and are voting with their wallets. Disney is a good example of doing something similar with their ips and they’ve had a horrible year. So not only are they slowly losing ip from third parties, they’re also making what they do have, undesirable to large swathe of potential customers.

All of this is compounded with the fact Sony stereotypically seen as making “movie games” or “walking simulators.” They need new genres. They need an rpg studio asap and they need more than one. They’ve been locked out of most western rpg and fps development already and besides bungie, haven’t done much to remedy it.

And that’s part of the problem, they haven’t done much of anything substantial in the 4-5 years we’ve seen of industry consolidation. In the past they’ve let from software and atlus slip through their fingers for Pennie’s on the dollar of what they’re worth now. There was always a high probability this deal was going to go through and in the past 18 months they’ve done very little to prepare for the eventuality that it would. It’s like they actively refuse to accept reality.

I could go on about other things and maybe I will but I’ve said enough for now.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
This is not a case of them winning or losing. They can either go with the original date or appreciate a new deal, and I think they should go with the latter so that they are not accused of being bias or the only roadblock.
It was a figure of speech my good sir.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Unless Sony make a big move by the end of the year, I feel like we’re watching Sony get Walkman’s to IPod here in real-time slow motion. Microsoft has a huge catalog of recognizable IP now and it’s only because of their horrible mismanagement and business model that they aren’t the dominant player. Sony can’t buy all the big companies in retaliation but I think they do need to lock down certain key Japanese partners to at least “Nintendofy” themselves from an aggressive competitor trying to consolidate.

I think Sony made the made the most of this situation by delaying it as long as possible and getting a 10 year deal instead of 3 or whatever the original plan was. But if Sony thinks they can stay the course and just develop new IP and in house Gaas I fear they will be mistaken. Unless Sony get some established ip under their belts they can’t always assume they are going to be the best selling console by 2:1 and force Microsoft to port games to them.

Another problem I see for Sony is most if not all of their major ip have gone off the deep end on “woke” politics and characters in an environment where consumers are on the look out to it and are voting with their wallets. Disney is a good example of doing something similar with their ips and they’ve had a horrible year. So not only are they slowly losing ip from third parties, they’re also making what they do have, undesirable to large swathe of potential customers.

All of this is compounded with the fact Sony stereotypically seen as making “movie games” or “walking simulators.” They need new genres. They need an rpg studio asap and they need more than one. They’ve been locked out of most western rpg and fps development already and besides bungie, haven’t done much to remedy it.

And that’s part of the problem, they haven’t done much of anything substantial in the 4-5 years we’ve seen of industry consolidation. In the past they’ve let from software and atlus slip through their fingers for Pennie’s on the dollar of what they’re worth now. There was always a high probability this deal was going to go through and in the past 18 months they’ve done very little to prepare for the eventuality that it would. It’s like they actively refuse to accept reality.

I'm all for criticizing playstation on their faults but some of this is really hyperbole. And i don't understand how their IP's have gone woke unless you have an issue with Sony not catering to strictly racists and homophobes ...

The only way to counter is to buy up publishers, maybe they aren't willing to compete in a losing arms race, but it's delusional to think they haven't accepted reality. At least give them 6 months to see how they react.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I guess we will just have to wait until tomorrow to see if Bobby (ABK) wants to continue this by granting an extension which he more then likely will. On another note the judge is not thrilled at all in what the CMA is doing right now.
Maybe he's annoyed at having gotten ready for a trial only for this to happen.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

🙄🙄More doom gloom bs.

Funny how Sony got “walked-manned” like 3 times and they are still around……

This is not the same as the walk man situation, this is poor commercial regulation, nothing Sony can do about it.
I keep saying it, folks need to stop putting this on Sony, they have done more than nintendo and MS to remain competitive.

God himself could be managing Sony right now and MS would have still got abk and pulled the same shit they pulling now.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
How do you write up hundreds of pages of a report on the issues of MS buying Activision proposes. Then now just saying “a new deal will satisfy all that.” I don’t get it.

Something is up.
The cat judge dont get it either😂
Seems pressure can break regulators, right or wrong. Its right to block this merger but ms got more cash to pressure regulators until they get what they want.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Why did Sony sign the contract if it's not a done deal?

The cat judge dont get it either😂
Seems pressure can break regulators, right or wrong. Its right to block this merger but ms got more cash to pressure regulators until they get what they want.
Right or wrong? Wrong, definitely wrong to not do your job because you were pressured. Now that we have to deal with these multi trillion dollar companies regulators are more important than ever but to bad we are just finding out the obvious, they were always corrupt and not doing their job properly or in the best case scenario set up to fail.

No reasonable person could think it makes sense to allow MS to buy ABK.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Jimmy is a terrible CEO. Worse even, while it seems like Nintendo's deal includes all of ABK's catalogue, Sony's only includes CoD. He's genuinely awful.
For Jim Ryan's sake this deal better pass soon or Sony better announce they made a huge publisher acquisition of their own (so it would make sense to just move on from the ABK thing).

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I love how people still act like Jim Ryan is some sort of Rogue Agent at Sony HQ and that he’s going off the script making these decisions and fighting Microsoft on this deal on his own accord.

As if there aren’t a team of highly paid lawyers and decision makers above him at sony putting him on these flights and walking him through these legal proceedings lol