Veteran
22 Feb 2023
xb.jpg

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The Tencent and Saudia Arabia things are just fear-mongering and creating a pretense for allowing MS to buy up the industry.

There's shades of xenophobia to the entire thing.... and this whole attitude that only the US is entitled to have a say where gaming goes. Especially after they ran the industry into the ground back in the 80's and it was Japan that rebuilt it....

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This whole market share argument is a big nonsense and also a just a snapshot in time.
We have seen how much regulators do care about market share. Sony losing 10 million active players for Call of Duty is okay but Microsoft losing like a couple of thousand Xbox players who plays Japanese games would be anti-consumer? This logic is ridiculous. Nobody cares about Xbox in Japan this why never any regulator would dare to object it. Even if Microsoft would surprisingly not get Activision Blizzard King, they still acquired Zenimax aka Bethesda. Do you know how much bigger Bethesda is than said Japanese publishers? Sony would be more than able to justify a Square Enix buyout: countering with Bethesda as an argument. TES, Fallout are much bigger heavy hitters than Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. This is wishful thinking of fanboys who don’t want to see Sony acquiring a publisher themselves.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
This whole market share argument is a big nonsense and also a just a snapshot in time.
We have seen how much regulators do care about market share. Sony losing 10 million active players for Call of Duty is okay but Microsoft losing like a couple of thousand Xbox players who plays Japanese games would be anti-consumer? This logic is ridiculous. Nobody cares about Xbox in Japan this why never any regulator would dare to object it. Even if Microsoft would surprisingly not get Activision Blizzard King, they still acquired Zenimax aka Bethesda. Do you know how much bigger Bethesda is than said Japanese publishers? Sony would be more than able to justify a Square Enix buyout: countering with Bethesda as an argument. TES, Fallout are much bigger heavy hitters than Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. This is wishful thinking of fanboys who don’t want to see Sony acquiring a publisher themselves.
SImple logic and reason don't matter. Valid arguments are irrelevant. Authorities are in the pockets of Big Tech.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zeno

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
If Sony / Playstation/ Jimbo is smart. I'll exclude Hermen since he's a clueless hack. But really should start a strategic partnership with Tencent going forward.

Reactions: kuzon and Arminius

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Isn't it appalling that we all now expect the CMA process to be a formality on the way to approval of this malignant tumour of a deal?
They may be more surprises on the way, like New Zealand/Australia/Canada having issues with it, and CMA can still theoretically block it if the new structured deal isn't to their satisfaction, but it does seem like there's a lot less fight against it.

The FTC should really kick in their administrative lawsuit, now that there's new merger guidelines approved by Biden.

Reactions: laynelane

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
John Linnerman from digital foundry trying to play pretend.

I know right. Everyone trying to close the door now that MS got thru it. Not happening, i see even nintendo going after a pub. Unless countries pass laws outlawing mergers these fuckers better get use to this new reality. We as gamers are going to have to own every console and sub to every gaming service if we want to play all our favorite games by this time next gen.

Just like tv, we are going to end up paying more due to the amount of subs we will need.

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
I really hate how people keep parroting "I'd rather Microsoft buy the publisher than Ten Cent or Embracer Group". These people have no fucking brains. If embracer or ten cent buys a publisher, the games will still be third party and released on all platforms. But when MS buys a publisher, the games become first party exclusive.

I have read this nonsense by posters and gaming media so many fucking times I wonder if these people are capable of critical thinking or not.

How the fuck can one prefer MS buying up publishers instead of ten cent or Embracer Group? I don't get it. Are people so brainwashed to this level?

And I just posted this 2 days ago where people parrot the MS acquire devs = good, tencent acquires devs = bad nonsense.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Oh yeah, NOWWWW its a problem.

I fucking hope Tencent and Sony and Apple and maybe even Google buy everything in gaming they can. As long as it all remains on PlayStation.
Let's hope Sony and Tencent enters into a strategic partnership as well. Let's hope things aren't that Bad between them and Shawn Layden, he can pull some internal strings