NPD December 2022 (PS5 #1 Revenue, Switch #1 Units, Xbox @ $200 Forever #3, Leaked LTD up to Nov 2022: 10.6m PS5 / 8.7m Xbox)

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Lol the Vgchartz numbers were a lie

wqkja8B.jpg

VGChartz always add more numbers to the Xbox sales :ROFLMAO:
Vgchartz actually believed XBOX was tracking ahead of PS5? You would have to be living under a rock and completely clueless to make that assertion.......

As for the numbers, is Aquamarine on Iconera. If you post her numbers you have to be careful, definitely ask her and make sure you credit her appropriately.

Yet, those numbers are something, November was a massacre. Isn't this where MS started basically giving the S away and the X was heavily discounted. I thought people would tear the BestBuys down and purchase all XBOX consoles, noting they have a bevy of free games on
"the best deal in gaming"...

Still, what I want to see is December, if November was so lethal, December must have been an annihilation. Hopefully they had the stock. I expect January should track very well for Sony too, heavily ahead YOY......

The craziest thing is this is the only place where MS competes, well somewhat. In the "rest of the world" the comparisons are even more lopsided...

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

wqkja8B.jpg

They always do, back when I was on twitter, I said to TrunksDW that his numbers were way off.... about every month. But he either had an excuse or ignored me each time. Then he would post on his twitter that he was going to stream the latest gamepass game....

Anyway... glad people can see clearly all this nonsense now, if they didn't before.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They always do, back when I was on twitter, I said to TrunksDW that his numbers were way off.... about every month. But he either had an excuse or ignored me each time. Then he would post on his twitter that he was going to stream the latest gamepass game....

Anyway... glad people can see clearly all this nonsense now, if they didn't before.
His numbers are probably not very off for these few months but since 2020.

Edit - He still believes they are not crazy off 🤷‍♂️

Like 54k and 96k for a 200-300k months is not crazy enough 😂😂😂

It is around 30% off even excluding the November where it was near 50% off… and don’t rule out December being around 700k too and putting his ass numbers to shame.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022

It is around 30% off even excluding the November where it was near 50% off… and don’t rule out December being around 700k too and putting his ass numbers to shame.
Probably getting false information from Aaron and now realising it 😂😂😂

Reactions: ethomaz
24 Jun 2022

Curious if this has been shared with. Seemingly actual unit numbers for PS5 & Xbox Series since June. Source is InstalledBase

Aquamarine specifically, at least that's what others have mentioned

These seem believable and the source has been accurate in the past when NPD were more open. Seems PS5 has been increasing its gap every month since June.

More interesting is that PS5 has 2% more market share in NA vs. PS4 at the same point in its lifecycle. Just wish we had January - May numbers, specifically April because that was a month Microsoft themselves boasted about both in record revenue and unit sales for Xbox consoles.

EDIT: Seems @ethomaz was on top of it

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Sony killed it with production this holiday. around the end of october, PS5's popped up everywhere. everything before then was supply constraints.

It would be even higher if they had more stock during the first half.

and if series S didn't exist, it would be 4 or 5:1

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

He is saying that Xbox could be almost 300K overestimated and PS5 150K underestimated...... so nearly half a million off in the US alone and that is what he is willing to admit, could be more.

Worldwide, his figures are probably millions off.

Funny how it always favors Xbox....just a coincidence each and every time I guess.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
He is saying that Xbox could be almost 300K overestimated and PS5 150K underestimated...... so nearly half a million off in the US alone and that is what he is willing to admit, could be more.

Worldwide, his figures are probably millions off.

Funny how it always favors Xbox....just a coincidence each and every time I guess.
i don't understand how places like VGchartz get away with this.

Of course Greenburg won't correct the record either. The more Xbox consoles people believe are out there benefits MS, their investors, and allows them to weasel their way into ill-gotten and undeserved support.

the real numbers paint a bleak picture.

24 Jun 2022

wqkja8B.jpg

They really need to be a banned source at this point, and Aaron Greenberg is a douche for quote-tweeting them to add fake legitimacy to their reporting. That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm talking about when I bring up bad messaging from MS/Xbox just to drive optics even if they aren't based on facts. And how that damages wider discourse online when talking about the hobby & industry.

There's nothing about that type of behavior which is positive to gaming.

i don't understand how places like VGchartz get away with this.

Of course Greenburg won't correct the record either. The more Xbox consoles people believe are out there benefits MS, their investors, and allows them to weasel their way into ill-gotten and undeserved support.

the real numbers paint a bleak picture.

Glad I decided to try figuring out Xbox's numbers a long time ago. Still sticking with this: if we don't get anything about them tracking ahead of XBO at the investor's call on Tuesday, at BEST they are about even with XBO sold-through numbers.

However, they could just as easily be tracking behind XBO, which by this point would probably put them between 17 million and ~ 18.25 million (XBO reached 18 million by its 26th month, but I think that was towards the start of January 2016).

Glad we have actual NPD numbers for a change; in fact with those numbers I'm even more confident of my earlier Xbox Series sold-through projections of 16.5 - 17.5 million by end of 2022. NA is one of Xbox's strongest markets, the other being the UK. Do we have any info on UK console sales LTD for PS5 and Xbox Series? Because for Xbox I would assume UK & NA combined probably account for 60% of the global market share.

I did some quick looking and seems Xbox Series sold 1 million consoles in UK by December 2021. Let's be generous and say they sold 2 million in UK in 2022. That'd make for 11.736 million Series between NA & UK LTD end of 2022. Let's say that is 60% of Xbox's global market, between them (which I think would be the case; 360 did over 47 million in NA apparently, which was almost 60% of 360's total sales numbers!). I'm being very generous because something tells me NA & UK account for more than 60% of Xbox's global market share, but I'll just say it's 60%.

The ROTW would then account for an additional 4.69 million units, that would bring global Xbox numbers to 16.43 million by end of 2022. However, maybe we can throw another 500K on top of that (being generous) to account for ROTW 2020 sales that aren't US or UK. That's still under 17 million sold-through by end of 2022, which would be tracking behind Xbox One (reached 18 million "activated" (guessing sold-through) units by its 26th month).

It really puts to bed all the BS speculation of Xbox being anything around 20+ million sold-through globally; it's statistically impossible right now. They might hit that figure by Q2 calendar this year assuming supply is good (particularly for Series X in US & UK), and they have at least SOME big heavy-hitters release between now and end of March (RedFall, Stalker 2 etc.) that can either do okay at retail or help drive Game Pass growth.

Like I've always said, I want Xbox to do well, and to do better. But we have to be honest about the numbers, first, and that's something "certain" people in the fanbase will continuously lie about just to prop up a narrative that most likely is not bearing out in reality.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

Those Xbox Series numbers aren't bad at all considering the fact that excluding the second half of 2021, they've had basically nothing for the generation.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Those Xbox Series numbers aren't bad at all considering the fact that excluding the second half of 2021, they've had basically nothing for the generation.
They're pretty bad considering the majority is series S which sells for less than a nintendo switch base model (not Oled) from 2017...

MS is making no money at all on console sales.

24 Jun 2022

The thing about Jan - May is we don't have actual numbers to show how big (or small) the gap for Xbox was over PS5 in those months. We can roughly assume what April's numbers were because if sources are to be believed April 2022 was Xbox's best month ever in unit and dollar sales; they had the unit record previously with 360 (~450K) and dollars record with XBO (although in that month I think they were outsold by PS4). However, without knowing PS5's numbers for that month there isn't much we can do.

Regardless, I think the numbers in that tweet are a bit damning for MS/Xbox for two reasons. One, it shows that PS5's been increasing its sales gap over Xbox every month since June of last year; we already know they outsold Xbox for December according to NPD in unit & dollar sales, the question is how big was the gap. If the trend established so far is anything and if December is anything like November, then December was a bloodbath for Xbox, in its strongest territory no less.

The other, more poignant thing it reinforces is the likely global sales gap which, and I've been saying this for a while personally, is probably bigger than some want to think. US & UK combined account traditionally for at least 60% of Xbox's total global sales (the 360 for example, the ratio was even higher IIRC b/c US got it to 47 million and then you add UK on top of that (8.4 million from a quick search), accounts for a larger percentage (over 65% of 360's global sales were in just US & UK markets). So if U.S sold-through LTD by end of the 2022 was 8.736 million, and (being generous here; I couldn't find 2022 Series sales numbers for UK) UK being at 3 million (Series reportedly reached 1 million by end of 2021 some I'm literally throwing them 2 million in one year here), then combined they would account for 11.736 million units. Assuming the 60/40 ratio holds true, then global Xbox Series sales by end of 2022 would be at just 16.4 million sold-through, maybe just shy of 17 million throwing in 500K for non-US/UK ROTW 2020.

In other words, it'd mean at least as of the start of this year, Xbox Series would have been trending behind XBO (reached 18 million by its 26th month), and that should be VERY worrying for fans of the brand and is probably a point of concern for Microsoft as well. After all, they have all the data, but there's a reason they aren't putting out certain PR statements relating to sales. Not even in relation of Series compared to 360 & XBO. If we get no such statements at the investor's call, then it's just going to solidify the estimates being stated here.

The bigger issue then is, how much is due to lack of supply and how much is simply due to lack of demand? Because if I'm being honest, amongst the whole market, it would be a mix of both. But what does that mix look like? Supply is always theoretically easier to fix than demand issues, but I think Xbox's issues are mostly stemming from lowered demand. People's gaming time is limited and between PC (Steam), PlayStation 4/5 and Switch, what is Xbox Series really bringing to the table that clearly stands out as unique and of value compared to other options, for the majority of the market?

At the very least, MS should start prioritizing Series X availability in US & UK and, more importantly, promote the damn thing. All their marketing has centered on Series S & Game Pass but that is clearly not having a resonating effect with most would-be customers, otherwise their numbers would be better. So it's time to shift, and if they finally start getting some big content coming regularly, they can at the very least stave off losing any further market share to PlayStation in US & UK, but it is absolutely not going to be easy and I don't see RedFall, Forza or even Starfield being enough.

P

peter42O

They're pretty bad considering the majority is series S which sells for less than a nintendo switch base model (not Oled) from 2017...

MS is making no money at all on console sales.

True but let's be honest, Microsoft doesn't need to make money on the console. If Sony releases the PS5 Digital revision with an optional disc drive attachment at $400, I see Microsoft reducing the price of Series S/X to $200/$400 respectively.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
True but let's be honest, Microsoft doesn't need to make money on the console. If Sony releases the PS5 Digital revision with an optional disc drive attachment at $400, I see Microsoft reducing the price of Series S/X to $200/$400 respectively.
I have the feeling MS will increase the X price and continue with deals around $200 for S.