Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
There is a group of people who play at 30fps anyway (I assume they are represented on every platform).

But given how MS emphasized on smoothness over everything else in their PR since Halo 5, and especially in the run up to the new generation... Well, they should pay the price with their reputation when they deliver a sub par product like this.
What's that im hearing....

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
Oh no-no, you can't disguise
You can't disguise
No, you can't disguise

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What's that im hearing....

Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
Oh no-no, you can't disguise
You can't disguise
No, you can't disguise
Great song!

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Like I said:
30 fps was always fine, it was the annoying PC crowd that are senstitive snowflakes that cry about 30fps, look at how spider man on ps4 or totk are smooth and with low input lag?
Then you have xbots crying and nipicking every small irrelevant detail when it comes to playstation and nintendo games. They're always roasting them for low resolution, textures, insignificant frame rate drops.
And now they're releasing 30fps games back to back. Of course they'll get roasted after all the fake outrage they push on forums and twitter.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
30 fps was always fine, it was the annoying PC crowd that are senstitive snowflakes that cry about 30fps, look at how spider man on ps4 or totk are smooth and with low input lag?
The games are still better at 60+ fps.

Now, as I was saying during the PS4 gen, 30fps is a workable compromise that could be understood. But with the current batch of consoles (except the S) there should be no game released without a 60fps mode.

This is much worse now because I play all games in performance mode (60 or more FPS), I keep trying to go back to the 30\40fps quality modes all the time and they just feel completely broken, even on games that default to these modes. So I can get those who say, Zelda is so great, the 30fps compromise is fine in this case (60+ with higher levels of details would still be better, just like Blueray is better than DVD, or even streaming services).

Xbox\Bethesda should learn to optimize their software, or take the time to do so before they unleash it upon the world. With a console like the Series X there is no apparent reason, these Ryzen CPUs are pretty powerful, the GPU can handle much more impressive stuff than what they have shown (hopefully).

Even if the game was super impressive with RT up the wazoo, they can make a mode that doesn't use it.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I honestly don't mind 30fps for most games. Beat em up, racing, slasher, etc, yeah I prefer 60. But stuff like forbidden west I completed it with 30fps and it was enjoyable. TLOU PT 1 and 2 also 30 fps.

That said, if I can get the same visual fidelity, i'll always pick 60fps, though depending on the game, the cinematic feeling of 30 cannot be thrown aside. this is just my take, anybody can disagree with it.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
If MS wasn’t so dumb about things, they could implement 40Hz on 120Hz displays like PS5 does.
Sony has TVs to sell so they gotta make those 120hz screens worth it to buy, starfield won't even hold stable 30fps let alone 40fps, maybe in the closed quarters of the ship it could go to 60fps but no way the framerate won't tank in the cities

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm surprised you think this is running above 40fps. Odds are it won't even run well at 30fps.
Where did I say that? I was positing a possible mode to make things better than 30FPS.

I've ben gaming too long to expect a Bethesda console game to even be a steady 30, but if 40 was an option they wouldn't look so embarrassing.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Where did I say that? I was positing a possible mode to make things better than 30FPS.

I've ben gaming too long to expect a Bethesda console game to even be a steady 30, but if 40 was an option they wouldn't look so embarrassing.
If they could have a 40fps mode they would have it, it's not because they don't know about 120hz being an option. Bethesda is probably crunching like hell to get this game out at 30fps looking like it does.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony has TVs to sell so they gotta make those 120hz screens worth it to buy, starfield won't even hold stable 30fps let alone 40fps, maybe in the closed quarters of the ship it could go to 60fps but no way the framerate won't tank in the cities
MS offers better VRS on their consoles than Sony, they even touted it for so long before the PS5 had VRS patched in (Sony promised it would come). Mind you, I think that this feature is still niche, same for 120fps.

For what it's worth, I'm much better at aiming in games that have higher frame rates.
I'm surprised you think this is running above 40fps. Odds are it won't even run well at 30fps.
Sad, but true.

People will ignore other games that are about as complex to explain the issue away.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
MS offers better VRS on their consoles than Sony, they even touted it for so long before the PS5 had VRS patched in (Sony promised it would come). Mind you, I think that this feature is still niche, same for 120fps.
You can't just keep on putting features and not use them, what is the use of all this vrr tech when games are gonna run unoptimized and get low framerate

Xbox just seems like it ticks off a checklist of features and then thats it

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If Sony knows how to troll they should add No Man's Sky to PS+ Essential in July or September.

Funny how No Man's Sky got so much heat for it's marketing but we all know Bethesda/MS are going to get away with all their bullshit.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
If Sony knows how to troll they should add No Man's Sky to PS+ Essential in July or September.

Funny how No Man's Sky got so much heat for it's marketing but we all know Bethesda/MS are going to get away with all their bullshit.
On discord i just mentioned this same thing that no mans sky literally promised so many things and starfield is shaping up to be like that. Then i told him that if you are interested in rpgs then jrpgs are a better choice right now cause not only they release so many games but also the quality is good and western rpg developer take their time with the game and releases are less frequent. This dude started shaking and going off about how that's an attack on not only wrpgs but also crpgs. Even a mention of the trailer watch count made him go crazy cause he thinks starfiled is an important wrpg release

I still don't understand how telling him that jrpgs release more games was an attack on crpgs

Be safe out there cause when arguing online you might just might find someone who doesn't view them as just games but rather has their whole personality tied to them, even an ambiguous statement is enough to set them off.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022
So another dev has made another post about 30 and 60 fps but, this one is a long thread.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
So another dev has made another post about 30 and 60 fps but, this one is a long thread. So if you want to read it, you better buckle up.

I trust VR developers to know about this stuff, cause its kind of their responsibility that i don't puke all over the floor while playing their game, not many are going to put the blame on starfield cause of the low frame rate, stutter and motion blur giving them a headache

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
So another dev has made another post about 30 and 60 fps but, this one is a long thread.

"play like molasses".
Lost the point there as this isn't factual, not for everyone, this is completely subjective.
This debate is overdone.
Yes, higher framerate is better.
Sometimes it can't be achieved, it is what it is.
Developers shouldn't abide to arbitrary baselines to achieve their vision, they should do whatever they want.
I'm so sick of this debate and I hate Digital Foundry and PC gamers for making this a thing. 99% of the time, framerate is irrelevant.
For the 1% of the time it actually matters (some first person games, some racing games, VR) it's ok, but FFS, most single player games play perfectly fine at 30fps.
If you are that sensitive, by all means, spend $10k on a PC, it's on you, but know it's a never ending road since you'll always have to upgrade to the newest thing to keep high framerates.
I, for one, am glad I'm able to play perfectly fine at 30fps, imagine skipping gems like totk or TLOU games at launch because of this stupid thing? lol
I'm glad that this shit has not spilled into non interactive medium like movies and tv shows.
Let the developers do whatever they want, enjoy games, stop bitching.
Also, input lag is more important than framerate and these aren'r necessarily related.
Oh, and 4K was a mistake, clearly.