"Presentations & updates for PlayStation’s Strategy & Business May 2024 " Beyond boundaries". |UP| Info released & updated.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
That was the SONY corporate meeting. Next week is far more focused and centered around PlayStation.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Remember 2022? We didn't get a showcase at all in 2022. And then we got an awful showcase in 2023. I'm sure the fanboys will still defend Sony no matter what, as for me I'm leaving this sinking ship
Sony's first party stable is definitely not working on any new games at all

They're all porting games to PC

There will never be another first party PlayStation game announced ever again

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Fans just want a showcase already, i don't understand what the hold up at sony is

Why are they struggling so bad at consumer relations and fan engagement

There is no defending Sony's strategy

Do we have to review bomb their games just to get them to listen to us for once?

That's because you don't realize how much work putting together showcases are. You also don't realize/care that Sony has more concerns than advertising to existing customers.

Customer Acquisition costs vs Customer Retention costs.

When it comes to dollars spent on marketing, you definitely want to focus on customer acquisition, it's why CAC is more expensive than CRC.

I'm not even sure that a May showcase even makes sense.

What are Sony's biggest priorities for the fiscal year?

• PS5 Pro Launch - October/November
  • Destiny 2 Final Shape - June
  • Concord - Presumably Fall
  • Until Dawn - Presumably Fall
  • Continued sales of Helldivers 2 - Year round
A state of play focusing on Destiny 2 Final Shape, Concord, and Until Dawn makes more sense than a showcase. I won't be upset if they do a showcase, but I'll be immediately wondering what they're going to do in September to promote the PS5 Pro.

A September showcase makes WAY more sense as a PS5 2.0 launch showing what's immediately available for PS5 Pro and teasing for FY2025 and maybe FY2026.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Polyh3dron

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
I'll be immediately wondering what they're going to do in September to promote the PS5 Pro.
Just drop a video of Final Fantasy XVI running at 60 FPS with all the graphical bells and whistles, and then show Final Fantasy VII Rebirth running at 60 FPS without being a blurfest.

That'd be an instabuy for me.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Need to take some time to review the whole thing, but as far as Playstation goes there's some really cool stuff there.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Just drop a video of Final Fantasy XVI running at 60 FPS with all the graphical bells and whistles, and then show Final Fantasy VII Rebirth running at 60 FPS without being a blurfest.

I think they'll show RT and their new AI upscaling in Cyberpunk.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony's first party stable is definitely not working on any new games at all

They're all porting games to PC

There will never be another first party PlayStation game announced ever again
Come on man, you know someone will actually take this seriously. Expecting a tweet stating "IconEra insider claims no Sony 1st party games coming. Ever.".

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
PlayStation Next Gen Controller: (Concept)

GOOscM7WsAAoI2x

This could be a hint into what the next-gen Playstation will be, especially the portable one. The one thing to notice is how the screen is projected into the air, meaning the player is probably using XR glasses instead of the screen. Something like this:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I'm sure the showcase will improve your opinion.
They guy's way down the rabbit hole. The company basically confirms that every single aspect of its business is on the rise, including subscriptions and he's just posting crap. At this point, it's a cry for attention, not an actual opinion.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Those are definitely 2 games I'll visit on PS5 Pro, there's actually a long list of games I'm waiting to play on PS5 Pro, even some older games that I still hope get the Pro treatment that might be unlikely.

I've definitely been holding back on playing some games because I'd rather play them in a better setting. I really wish the Pro had come out last year, but totally get why it didn't.

I think Sony is eschewing costly components for investments in AI Upscaling that will pay dividends not just for the PS5 Pro, but for the PS6 and a PlayStation Handheld as well.

Will be very interesting to see what Cerny has in store for us here. We're probably less than 4 months away from a reveal. So I just don't know how Sony should balance that or be expected to balance that with a May Showcase.

If I were planning a PlayStation event for September though I'd drop the following announcements

• PS5 Pro
  • PS5 Pro patches for the following games
    • Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2
    • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
    • God of War Ragnarok
    • Horizon Forbidden West
    • The Last of Us Part 1 and The Last of Us Part 2
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Returnal
    • Demon's Souls
    • Destiny 2
    • Helldivers 2
    • Elden Ring
    • Hogwarts Legacy
    • Resident Evil 2-4
    • FF7 Rebirth and FF16
    • Baldur's Gate 3
    • Cyberpunk 2077 and the Witcher 3
    • Star Wars Jedi Survivor
    • Fortnite
  • PSVR2 PC Adapter
  • PSVR2 enhancements on PS5 Pro
  • Announcement of Until Dawn VR on PS5 and PC w/PS5 Pro enhancements
  • PS Portal Cloud Support
  • PS Cloud Streaming on PC,MacOS, Android, and iOS
  • Helldivers MacOS port
  • Concord
  • Marathon
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Fairgame$
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Convallaria
  • Wolverine
  • Venom
  • Maybe KOTOR
  • Phantom Blade Zero
Like I feel like you could probably do 90 minutes with all of this.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So I went and watched the whole thing. I don't think there's anything new or drastic they announced. Of course they had to insert the AI buzzword since all the investors and analysts are losing their minds over it now, but it seems like they'll be quite conservative about it. In fact everything they talked about in the meeting seemed like they were going to make conservative moves in the mid term and consolidate the gains they've had. Mostly focused on increasing profitability. It's also interesting that the two big products they were lining up behind were image sensors and game engines. Not TVs, not music, not film. kinda feels like this was, in a way, the Japanese version of Steve ballmer's "developers developers developers developers" rant

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Hiroki Totoki shared what Sony wants to become in the next 10 years when it comes to entertainment/creativity, including gaming