PS "exclusive" Helldivers II will require PS Plus Membership (online paywall) while releasing on PC Day & Date, with online play being free!

• Thread starter Deleted member 223
  • Start date

Fair or Unfair? Should the online PayWall die?

• Total voters

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
These numbers might be different for multiplayer games as PC players can't easily pirate multiplayer games and they are an audience that is more skewed to mp games.

That is what I always said, the GaaS push is directly related to the PC ports push. PC ports are nowhere near as harmless as people pretend they are because they influence what games are made. Instead of ending up with unique PlayStation games we'll end up with games that were made taking into account how to succeed on PC (and the first thing you need to do well on PC is begin some sort of GaaS).
Nope, this time won't be any different and I also bet it'll last much longer on PS5 like how people are still playing TLOU and Uncharted online, there are even people still playing God of War Ascension online 😂. Meanwhile, most games on PC lasts a few months at most, like Battlebit, everyone was hyping it up, it had almost 100k concurrent players, and then it completely died less than 2 months later. They went right back to csgo, dota, league, valorant, fortnite, etc. They just latch on to whatevers popular on Twitch and then get bored in a few weeks and move on to the next cool thing. Right now it's Lethal Company. I doubt Helldivers 2 will get much Twitch fanfare so don't expect it to do well.
People falling for the gaas marketing taking point.

I prefer traditional multiplayer games anyway. Normal map levels and a lobby. No battle pass, DLC skins, and seasons.
Sadly all of Sony's gaas, including Helldivers 2, will be exactly that.

24 Jun 2022
If Sony are smart and throw in free perks (free weapons, cosmetics, skins etc.) to PS+ subscribers, this online paywall disparity between the PS5 and PC versions would be mostly absolved. At current, with no word on said perks, it does seem like preferential treatment to PC gamers (on top of them being able to bulldoze their way to better competitive performance with higher FPS and Hz refresh monitors, not to mention KB&M support).

These companies (Sony; Microsoft, too) really need to remember to ALWAYS prioritize the console buyer, regardless if they're trying to expand out into other ecosystems. As Microsoft have learned, failure to do so is one of the quickest ways to alienating your core customer group. Sony have to avoid making those same mistakes; at least in their case (IMO), they still have time to adjust and make corrections.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
If Sony are smart and throw in free perks (free weapons, cosmetics, skins etc.) to PS+ subscribers, this online paywall disparity between the PS5 and PC versions would be mostly absolved. At current, with no word on said perks, it does seem like preferential treatment to PC gamers (on top of them being able to bulldoze their way to better competitive performance with higher FPS and Hz refresh monitors, not to mention KB&M support).

These companies (Sony; Microsoft, too) really need to remember to ALWAYS prioritize the console buyer, regardless if they're trying to expand out into other ecosystems. As Microsoft have learned, failure to do so is one of the quickest ways to alienating your core customer group. Sony have to avoid making those same mistakes; at least in their case (IMO), they still have time to adjust and make corrections.
Great idea, they do it with CoD and 3rd party games like Hogwarts, why not do it with your own IP? 🤔

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I always say PC is the best place to play multiplayer games. But then you're paying more for the hardware in the first place.

I always expected this to be behind the paywall on console, not sure why anyone would be expecting otherwise. At least it's reasonably priced.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Not only is it free on PC, the PC version also requires a PlayStation Network account at that 😒 And the PC specs were shown before the PlayStation performance options, and all of the recent footage has "captured on PC". Sony and Arrowhead bending over backwards for the platform where this game will sell by far the worst.....

image.png

its $33 on PC already through cdkeys...keys that were illegally obtained through stolen credit cards BTW. So Sony's revenue is already taking a big hit
CDKeys is legit, not the same as those two dodgy sites people use.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
CDKeys is legit, not the same as those two dodgy sites people use.
Nope, CDKeys isn't legit. Well.... it's legit in the sense that the key you purchase will almost always work and they have decent support, but they don't get their keys directly from publishers. The only legit key resellers are GreenManGaming, Humble Bundle, and Fanatical. Places like CDKeys, G2A, and Eneba are fine to buy from because you'll get what you paid for in the end, but they get their keys through nefarious means.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's dumb to be outraged that having a PlayStation is the more expensive way to play a PlayStation? :ROFLMAO:

It's drastically more expensive since the game price will fall over time while PS+ time won't.

This mentality of pretending to be happy with everything is very Xbot like and how they ended up where they are.

Charging for online multiplayer was always a scam (introduced by MS and welcomed by Xbox players, later copied by Sony since it was easy money for them), PlayStation games on PC just expose how stupid it is.

Yes the outrage is dumb because this is nothing new. You either buy it on PC and play online free (since you claim you already game on PC) you can still party up with your PSN friends and play as a group. Or simply buy it on PS5, it's not like you'll be renewing or signing up for PS+ for this game as most of us already have PS+ and it's not just to play online games. Or wait for a discount as going by the rollout the game will drop in price fast enough.

There is no "mentality" here, you wanna everyone to be mad about everything all the time, sorry this isn't one of them for me as again, we've known for well over a year this would be the case. I don't subscribe to PS+ for online play only, so either way I would still be subbed. I've been subbed since 2012 when Online was also free .. I ain't paying for PS+ again till 2027... So spare me if I don't wanna join in on the fake outrage 😫.

There is a case to be made about PC support undermining the PlayStation ecosystem and I fully agree...

But Helldivers 2 being the sacrificial lamb? Fuck that

And also... LOL... @ you claiming I'm happy with everything like an Xbot... One minute I'm accused of never being happy with anything Sony does on this site, the next im apparently a boot licker for everything they do.... Y'all need pick a struggle quickly.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yes the outrage is dumb because this is nothing new. You either buy it on PC and play online free (since you claim you already game on PC) you can still party up with your PSN friends and play as a group. Or simply buy it on PS5, it's not like you'll be renewing or signing up for PS+ for this game as most of us already have PS+ and it's not just to play online games. Or wait for a discount as going by the rollout the game will drop in price fast enough.

There is no "mentality" here, you wanna everyone to be mad about everything all the time, sorry this isn't one of them for me as again, we've known for well over a year this would be the case. I don't subscribe to PS+ for online play only, so either way I would still be subbed. I've been subbed since 2012 when Online was also free .. I ain't paying for PS+ again till 2027... So spare me if I don't wanna join in on the fake outrage 😫.

There is a case to be made about PC support undermining the PlayStation ecosystem and I fully agree...

But Helldivers 2 being the sacrificial lamb? Fuck that

And also... LOL... @ you claiming I'm happy with everything like an Xbot... One minute I'm accused of never being happy with anything Sony does on this site, the next im apparently a boot licker for everything they do.... Y'all need pick a struggle quickly.
Or I buy neither because I can do whathever I want. If they are pushing me to pay for PS+ I migth as well give them what they want and play it on PS Extra. If they want to be like Xbox I'll treat them like Xbox.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Or I buy neither because I can do whathever I want. If they are pushing me to pay for PS+ I migth as well give them what they want and play it on PS Extra. If they want to be like Xbox I'll treat them like Xbox.
You're also free to do that of course.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yep, good point. I think it's the least they can do to address the fact PS console buyers have to pay for online while PC players don't. It's a leveling agent, in a sense.
Absolutely! It's such a shame they killed their forums back in 2016. This use to be an easy way to reach developers and some upper management at Sony.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Nope, CDKeys isn't legit. Well.... it's legit in the sense that the key you purchase will almost always work and they have decent support, but they don't get their keys directly from publishers. The only legit key resellers are GreenManGaming, Humble Bundle, and Fanatical. Places like CDKeys, G2A, and Eneba are fine to buy from because you'll get what you paid for in the end, but they get their keys through nefarious means.
Not sure who decided that, but CDKeys always works immediately for everyone I know who uses it, doesn't have the ridiculously low prices of G2A and Kinguin, and even advertises on Instagram and YouTube etc which would seem unlikely if they were going around buying stuff on stolen credit cards...

Gamersgate is another good one which is why I don't buy the BS about a tiny set list of 'legit' key sellers.

Edit: Indiegala too.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Not sure who decided that, but CDKeys always works immediately for everyone I know who uses it, doesn't have the ridiculously low prices of G2A and Kinguin, and even advertises on Instagram and YouTube etc which would seem unlikely if they were going around buying stuff on stolen credit cards...

Gamersgate is another good one which is why I don't buy the BS about a tiny set list of 'legit' key sellers.

Edit: Indiegala too.
that doesn't contradict what I said at all, advertising on youtube means literally nothing lmao, a ton of pc youtubers do g2a ads and everyone knows that site is sketch. Never heard of gamersgate or indiegala, and I don't mean those are the only 3 legit sites, just meant those were some of the few legit ones. Most are getting keys illegally

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
This is the first generation I haven't bought a console since the mega drive.

Decisions like this validate ditching consoles in favour of PC

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
that doesn't contradict what I said at all, advertising on youtube means literally nothing lmao, a ton of pc youtubers do g2a ads and everyone knows that site is sketch. Never heard of gamersgate or indiegala, and I don't mean those are the only 3 legit sites, just meant those were some of the few legit ones. Most are getting keys illegally
cdkeys is a lot more legit than any other key selling site other than official stores. They used to be kinda dodgy like 10-15 years ago but they since cleaned up their act. I don't think they've sold stolen credit card keys for a long time, now they use regional reselling by stocking up on keys from other regions or during sales.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Yeah individual YouTubers, that isn't the same as actual YouTube ads or Instagram ads lmao.

Seen plenty online say it's legit, so I guess not everybody knows.