PS5 Beta introduces 1440p support, Gamelists, and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
1440p is a dyning old transitional tech.
I've been using 4k for years already and this is just redundant to introduce support for old tech. Some points from me:
-Most 4years old and newer 1440p monitors support 4k edid and downscale internally. It looks ok.
-4k does not mean you have to run at 4k... you can run dlss quality or 1440p checkerboard to 4k with all sharp 4k native UI elements.
-You can do 4k120 fps. So it's not this or that. Just power
-MONITORS FUCKING SUCK DONKEY ASS!!! NO REAL HDR, SMALL SIZE, FCKING LCD!!! MONITORS ARE LAME YOU FOOLS PLAY GAMES WRONG WAY!!!

Ok, that is all from me. Nice to see Sony introduce support for this format, so the 1% can be happy too

edit: I know which one I prefer !
r6cj5bd.jpg

53sTeAW.jpg
Get rid of that Xbox and this set up will be perfect.

• haha
Reactions: rofif

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Sony wouldn't bend over backwards to add these features now if it wasn't needed or requested by their user base.
Its a case of balancing what is on the Wishlist vs what is easy to implement. I don't doubt that a small minority has been asking Sony for this, but clearly this isnt the focus of this update, the QoL stuff is the meat here.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
If you mean Dualsense, it's talked about all the time. Some people are trying to sell it as the only real next-gen feature. And yes, VRR was a big differentiator when PS5 didn't have it. It was often the difference between stutter and no stutter, input lag vs no input lag, screen tearing and no screen tearing.

Again, it's not talked about much because both consoles have it now. There's nothing to talk about. It's still mentioned consistently by DF though, every time a game has performance issues, which is very often.

A rock solid 60 fps throughout the entire game, regardless of graphical load, means that the hardware is heavily underutilized most of the time. VRR solves this problem, it's a total game changer.

Your scenario doesn't exist, at least in console gaming. Everyone has the same frame rate. VRR just makes the game look smoother and makes it not rely on v-sync, which, as we all know, increases the input latency significantly.

People rarely talked about 1440p. It's only really relevant for monitors.

If you mean Dualsense, it's talked about all the time. Some people are trying to sell it as the only real next-gen feature. And yes, VRR was a big differentiator when PS5 didn't have it. It was often the difference between stutter and no stutter, input lag vs no input lag, screen tearing and no screen tearing.

Apart from the dualsense, the ssd's and loadtimes are revolutionary for consoles too....More 60fps games, more 120hz games, games which use RT, Remote Play, better editing software like sharefactory. More people are actually using and enjoying these everyday and they don't need a vrr tv to do so. Vrr is niche. All of these are more important and gamechanging than vrr currently/

Also, vrr does not prevent stutter below it's threshold, vrr does not mean no input lag. The screen tearing issue was more an issue on XBOX where most games did not employ vysnc as opposed to PS5. PS5 also had better framerates on most games whilst holding vysnc. SO vrr was just used as a plugin for XBOX woes more or less.

Again, it's not talked about much because both consoles have it now. There's nothing to talk about. It's still mentioned consistently by DF though, every time a game has performance issues, which is very often.

Lots of the games hold 60fps just fine, minus something like Elden Ring, everybody should be fine.

A rock solid 60 fps throughout the entire game, regardless of graphical load, means that the hardware is heavily underutilized most of the time. VRR solves this problem, it's a total game changer.

No, that is called optimization, if a game has a surplus of 10-20 frames over 60fps, that's a perfectly optimized games, perhaps even a surplus is necessary when higher level alpha and effects are used. Devs can manage per level, per scene and per load.

Your scenario doesn't exist, at least in console gaming. Everyone has the same frame rate. VRR just makes the game look smoother and makes it not rely on v-sync, which, as we all know, increases the input latency significantly.

Not PS5 vs XBX. Usually PS enjoyed better framerates with vsync. In a case like Elden Ring, the frames were so low on XBOX that vrr did nothing to offset it really. PS4 PRO settings is still the best way to play for smoothness.

People rarely talked about 1440p. It's only really relevant for monitors.

Still, most games are 4k now anyway, so you are still missing out using a 1440p for these consoles. I could understand using a 1440p monitor on predominantly 720p games in the 360 era.... As I said, the feature is still good for the rare rare scenario, but hardly something significant.

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
Not sure but I don’t think you can by the blog post.
Does not appear so, but you can just pin the games you are currently play anyway, so I don't think it is really an issue. Having folders in the library makes more sense to me.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Years ago I lost game progress due to a beta firmware programme on Xbox, so I'd rather wait for the full roll-out.
That is safe.

In any case I’m in most of Betas since PS3 and has no issue… the last one on PS5 was very stable to the point I did not realize it shifted to final firmware for weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Themaskedcrag

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Well most 1440p monitor has no issue with 4k signal.

Like people said it is a feature that will be useful to gamers with 1440p monitor that doesn’t support 4k signal… these old models that didn’t receive firmware update to support it.
yep exactly.

Reactions: ethomaz

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The "folders" for organization is nice. Too many games bunched up together as it currently stands. I don't use my PS5 on a monitor but for those that do, and specially for streamers it's nice that 1440p support is added. At this point I'm not sure what I would be looking forward on firmware updates, except maybe "themes" but it's a minor want.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Vrr is a good feature, but it is not a game changer. A gamechanger would impact and affect a much higher demographic. Besides, Vrr does not replace frames, the frames are still low just with minimized stutter. For consoles, I think more 60fps games is a gamechanger, as opposed to 30fps. For example, the PS5 controller with haptics is a gamechanger in the way you play and get feedback in games, everybody can use it that has a PS5, as opposed to Vrr, you need a TV and the feature is not specific to XBOX.

There are many features that PS has that are more popular or more widely used than VRR. Yet there is no need to have a marketing strategy around that. Features like vrr or 1440p which are miniscule in adoption or use, should not be used as some massive differentiator as has been seen or touted in some circles.

Now that Vrr and 1440p is on PS5 nobody really cares anymore, even DF doesn't talk about vrr anymore, so it was all fake hype around the feature, smoke and mirrors about it's importance for marketing purposes. I'll tell you this, I'll take a solid 60fps anyday or wish my devs optimized their games as opposed to crutch unto vrr as some revolutionary game-changing tech and fail to optimize their games, because well VRR will save us. I will continue to snipe you every second at 60fps whilst you play at 40fps with vrr. I will continue to combo you in fighting games at 60fps whilst you miss your inputs at 40fps with vrr. That is the reality. VRR does not add frames, it does not make the game run faster.

As for 1440p, UC4 and LOU2 were 1440p on PRO. I played those on a 4k tv and they are still some of the best looking games this gen with some of the best image quality. I played 4k games that didn't have IQ nearly as good on the same tv. So 1440p on a 4k set is not mush as some people would imply and I would rather game on a tv than to be so close to a smaller sized monitor.
VRR is feature that once it's not enabled you know the difference. To say it makes none and that it's some niche feature is just cope for the fact it took Sony nearly 2 years to implement it

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
In your collection you create customizaed game lists.
You can add the same game to several game lists you created... there is a limitation you can have 15 game lists with max of 100 games each...
Visually is probably like folder if you ask me.

3b1a644099d4127e0bd97bc1484866d92c2a2e82-scaled.jpg

Looks cool. But its not on the main screen Im guessing

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
VRR is feature that once it's not enabled you know the difference. To say it makes none and that it's some niche feature is just cope for the fact it took Sony nearly 2 years to implement it
Let me guess you don't play Sony first-party games... better... you only play games like Elden Ring (most 3rd-parties games are not like that)?
Because since VRR was added the games I played had no difference at all but I did not play games like Elden Ring.

VRR does nothing to optimized games running at constant 60 framerate.
That is true before VRR and after VRR.

And to be fair in console space it is hard to have a game poor optimized like Elden Ring... when it is it become buzz and everybody talks about how shit the performance is.

Edit - Changed the phase because most 3rd-party games doesn't have bad performance like Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif
Status
Not open for further replies.