PS5 has sold more than 533,000 units In February NPD, breaking the record set by PS2 in 2005

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I've always said the Series S is what's over shipped not the X. Remember there are two different Xbox's.

I've been saying since December that the X had been more difficult to find which is correct. Series S has remained in supply but isn't moving units.

Speculation here but would help my point, last year the Fortnite Series S bundle was basically the holiday bundle for 2021 and as that ran out of units the regular S was what started getting sold again. 3 months after Christmas and the current Gilded Hunter bundle is not only still available but the regular S isn't.

The regular S isn't available for "New" at GameStop, Walmart, or Amazon. Target has it in low supply at the stores it's still in, and Best Buy is still selling it, but the Gilded bundle is always ahead in the Best Seller's list.

So either the Gilded Hunter bundle is the new Series S SKU or no retailers are asking for new Series S shipments. I somewhat doubt the Gilded bundle is the new primary SKU just due to the fact it isn't even a price increase. Since Microsoft want to copy Sony by doing expensive bundles, you'd think they'd also have a new Series S bundle planned at $359, but no, it's still the holiday bundle that for some reason has this random $2 discount.

Also what's wrong with Install Base?
What even is a Guilded Hunter?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I've always said the Series S is what's over shipped not the X. Remember there are two different Xbox's.

I've been saying since December that the X had been more difficult to find which is correct. Series S has remained in supply but isn't moving units.

Speculation here but would help my point, last year the Fortnite Series S bundle was basically the holiday bundle for 2021 and as that ran out of units the regular S was what started getting sold again. 3 months after Christmas and the current Gilded Hunter bundle is not only still available but the regular S isn't.

The regular S isn't available for "New" at GameStop, Walmart, or Amazon. Target has it in low supply at the stores it's still in, and Best Buy is still selling it, but the Gilded bundle is always ahead in the Best Seller's list.

So either the Gilded Hunter bundle is the new Series S SKU or no retailers are asking for new Series S shipments. I somewhat doubt the Gilded bundle is the new primary SKU just due to the fact it isn't even a price increase. Since Microsoft want to copy Sony by doing expensive bundles, you'd think they'd also have a new Series S bundle planned at $359, but no, it's still the holiday bundle that for some reason has this random $2 discount.

If Microsoft cant even sell series S units at a discount or bundle, in the US, why even sell consoles? If next gen isnt until 2027/2028 thats another 3 or 4 years of becoming less relevant than they were last generation. At this point i dont even think cod exclusive could help them, theyd just drag cod down and another fps would fill the void on playstation. Short of buying out every single third party publisher, this whole xbox endeavor, especially this generation has been an utter failure. Game pass doesnt help established third parties sell games, and seems like at least once a month a new studio head/founder leaves one of their acquired studios. One has to wonder how many more missed projections and revenue drops xbox has to go through before microsoft pulls the plug?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Actually didn't @Welfare claim on another gaming forum (the horrid shithole that is installbase) that Xbox had higher sales due to a higher sell-in (Vs sell-through)? How does that reconcile with the allegations of extreme scarcity on store shelves? The console isn't registering on sales trackers so it has to be either one or the other.
Basically, Xbox fans are pointing to the lack of unbundled Series X and ignoring bundled Series X and the megatons of Series S that are easily found in abundance.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

There's nothing wrong with Install Base at all, I have removed the comment in question from that post.

Reactions: Welfare

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If Microsoft cant even sell series S units at a discount or bundle, in the US, why even sell consoles? If next gen isnt until 2027/2028 thats another 3 or 4 years of becoming less relevant than they were last generation. At this point i dont even think cod exclusive could help them, theyd just drag cod down and another fps would fill the void on playstation. Short of buying out every single third party publisher, this whole xbox endeavor, especially this generation has been an utter failure. Game pass doesnt help established third parties sell games, and seems like at least once a month a new studio head/founder leaves one of their acquired studios. One has to wonder how many more missed projections and revenue drops xbox has to go through before microsoft pulls the plug?
MS will give at least on more shot at consoles nextgen, they clearly gave up on this one before it even started. They'll probably try to leverage their new massive dev numbers to finally show up with actual games. If they fail again then it's over and with games taking so long to be made that is not outside the realm of possibilities.

The Series will probably just end up getting all the games already announced with CGs, most of what they announce from now on will probably not even make it to this gen. Hellblade II for example was announced in 2019 and doesn't look close to release at all in 2023.

3 or 4 years from now we'll be focusing on the next gen already, MS is all about trying to find the easy path to success.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
MS will give at least on more shot at consoles nextgen, they clearly gave up on this one before it even started. They'll probably try to leverage their new massive dev numbers to finally show up with actual games. If they fail again then it's over and with games taking so long to be made that is not outside the realm of possibilities.

The Series will probably just end up getting all the games already announced with CGs, most of what they announce from now on will probably not even make it to this gen. Hellblade II for example was announced in 2019 and doesn't look close to release at all in 2023.

3 or 4 years from now we'll be focusing on the next gen already, MS is all about trying to find the easy path to success.
So "wait til next gen?"

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
So "wait til next gen?"
Like always. They have zero chance of turning this one around and what's left of Xbox fans are already used to is, what do they lose by disapointing them again?

From the One, to the One X, to the Series S or X, not a single one lived up to what was promised.

D

Deleted member 417

Microsoft don't believe in generations. There's nothing stopping them dropping a massively powerful console to make the ps5 look weak.

It doesn't matter the price, or the spec or when it launches, the media PR machine would make it sound like the best console ever.

• angry

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Microsoft don't believe in generations. There's nothing stopping them dropping a massively powerful console to make the ps5 look weak.

It doesn't matter the price, or the spec or when it launches, the media PR machine would make it sound like the best console ever.
Yes there is, they already can barely handle the logistics of their current two models nor get games out for them. They tied themselves to the Series S for at least a few years and it's their main console this gen.

Sony is the one that has a lot more to gain by releasing a more powerful PS5. PlayStation is a premium brand and the demand would be there for a PS5 Pro.

Xbox core problems are so hard to solve that it will require years to turn things around even if everything goes right for them and that is taking into account the effect of the recent acquisitions.

Last edited:
  • brain

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023
What even is a Guilded Hunter?
images

Basically it's currency and cosmetics for those three games.
They'll never pull the plug on consoles. The market is a known quantity that they can push to and guarantee 10's of millions.

Xbox right now does have an issue with marketing games and it's because they haven't had a big exclusive since 2021 and haven't had a major 3rd party game associated with Xbox all gen. Series S is basically selling to people that want a $300 Xbox. They need big software to move the needle and Starfield is really the test for that.
Basically, Xbox fans are pointing to the lack of unbundled Series X and ignoring bundled Series X and the megatons of Series S that are easily found in abundance.
Incredible, completely ignore my videos showing the lack of Series X bundles at Target in the three largest cities in Florida.

Also, my brother is in Inglewood, CA right now and saw this at Target today

received_540825968198966.jpg

But please go on about how the X is easy to find despite Mat saying otherwise.

• brain

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
images

Basically it's currency and cosmetics for those three games.

They'll never pull the plug on consoles. The market is a known quantity that they can push to and guarantee 10's of millions.

Xbox right now does have an issue with marketing games and it's because they haven't had a big exclusive since 2021 and haven't had a major 3rd party game associated with Xbox all gen. Series S is basically selling to people that want a $300 Xbox. They need big software to move the needle and Starfield is really the test for that.

Incredible, completely ignore my videos showing the lack of Series X bundles at Target in the three largest cities in Florida.

Also, my brother is in Inglewood, CA right now and saw this at Target today

received_540825968198966.jpg

But please go on about how the X is easy to find despite Mat saying otherwise.
Remember the PS3 board "X will save ps3?" Thats starfield now but for xbox. It wont make a dent in the trajectory of how this generation is going. FF16, assuming it lives up to the hype will be in the gaming zeitgeist, and spider man releasing in the same month as starfield will nullify alot of the effect it would have had. We have no idea what sony has up their sleeve seeing as how theyve been radio silent for almost 2 year as well.

You guys think starfield is going to be this megaton bomb drop arent living in reality. Its going to run at 30 fps, look and run terribly (i assume) on the series S, and pc will be the main place to play. Meanwhile ,i can only assume, spider man 2 is going look like a real next gen game, run at 60 fps, and yes they will be compared side by side. Different genres i get it but starfield already has alot to prove from its less than stellar first showing and its going up against one of the biggest known characters in the world in the same month. And if there is a slim ps5 with a reduced price, forget about it.

With all of this said, i dont know what microsoft is expecting with starfield. If theyre expecting that its going to give them a little bump and then quickly fall off, like i expect, then i think theres going to be alot of finger pointing about where to go from here. If its a huge hit and somehow defies everything against it, ill gladly eat crow.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Remember the PS3 board "X will save ps3?" Thats starfield now but for xbox. It wont make a dent in the trajectory of how this generation is going. FF16, assuming it lives up to the hype will be in the gaming zeitgeist, and spider man releasing in the same month as starfield will nullify alot of the effect it would have had. We have no idea what sony has up their sleeve seeing as how theyve been radio silent for almost 2 year as well.

You guys think starfield is going to be this megaton bomb drop arent living in reality. Its going to run at 30 fps, look and run terribly (i assume) on the series S, and pc will be the main place to play. Meanwhile ,i can only assume, spider man 2 is going look like a real next gen game, run at 60 fps, and yes they will be compared side by side. Different genres i get it but starfield already has alot to prove from its less than stellar first showing and its going up against one of the biggest known characters in the world in the same month. And if there is a slim ps5 with a reduced price, forget about it.

With all of this said, i dont know what microsoft is expecting with starfield. If theyre expecting that its going to give them a little bump and then quickly fall off, like i expect, then i think theres going to be alot of finger pointing about where to go from here. If its a huge hit and somehow defies everything against it, ill gladly eat crow.
The PS3 arrived late but always did somewhat well. Reversing the trajectory of a console mid gen is something I don't remember ever happening. Right now it looks like matching the Xbox one numbers is the best case scenario. Xbox started getting wrecked completely once PS5 stocks improved.

Starfield being a massive success is the least that needs to happen for things not to get even worse because Sony will have Spider-man 2 around the same time.

Welfare

Forum Veteran
23 Jan 2023

Insane. Starfield is following up on Skyrim and Fallout 4, games that have sold well over 30M and Fallout 4 still holding a record 12M units shipped at launch that Cyberpunk or Hogwarts couldn't beat. This would be like betting against Destiny back in 2014.

Also crazy how you just fellate Spider-Man like Starfield isn't going to be a next gen game as well.

Skyrim launched right next to Modern Warfare 3 and did amazing. Fallout 4 right next to Black Ops 3. Starfield isn't going to be impacted by Spider-Man 2.

The audiences are so completely different the comparison would be like questioning why Nintendo puts Pokemon in the same month as Call of Duty.

• fire

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Insane. Starfield is following up on Skyrim and Fallout 4, games that have sold well over 30M and Fallout 4 still holding a record 12M units shipped at launch that Cyberpunk or Hogwarts couldn't beat. This would be like betting against Destiny back in 2014.

Also crazy how you just fellate Spider-Man like Starfield isn't going to be a next gen game as well.

Skyrim launched right next to Modern Warfare 3 and did amazing. Fallout 4 right next to Black Ops 3. Starfield isn't going to be impacted by Spider-Man 2.

The audiences are so completely different the comparison would be like questioning why Nintendo puts Pokemon in the same month as Call of Duty.
Not trying to be insulting, but why is it seemingly so important to you that Xbox be perceived a certain way to the point where there are so many pointless arguments about how well it is or isn't doing?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Skyrim was 12 years ago and fallout is a known IP with a long history. Starfield is a brand new IP launching up against spiderman 2, the most popular, or one of the most popular marvel super heroes in the world. Spider man 1 sold like over 30 million right? I think your underestimating the over lap between the type of person that would buy a next gen console and i think alot of the people that would want starfield already have an xbox.

Starfields initial showing wasnt all that impressive. I remember the live stream reacts and after shows, xbox centric and ps centric alike. The general consensus was it looked rough. IF starfield even makes its september release date its still going up against ff16 and spider man 2. I just think the normie average gamer will have already had their mind made up and pc people arent going to buy an xbox. Sure it WILL help sell xbox consoles, but its not going to win npds or change the trajectory of how things are going, not even in north america. This gens over.

I could be completely wrong. And if i am ill eat crow lol.