Requirement to use internal tools blamed for the state of Halo and Fable's delays

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
To be fair, windows 10 has been nothing but rock solid on my computer.
I have had a few machines on Windows 10, with the usual highly variable results, but unless I am being paid to deal with it, Windows in ANY form can fuck right off.

Stuff like Windows 10 updating HDMI audio output in a way that kills the output entirely on many machines, with no fix is just shit engineering all the way down.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I have had a few machines on Windows 10, with the usual highly variable results, but unless I am being paid to deal with it, Windows in ANY form can fuck right off.

Stuff like Windows 10 updating HDMI audio output in a way that kills the output entirely on many machines, with no fix is just shit engineering all the way down.

I intend on moving to Linux on my next build. Most stuff I use windows for can be done in Linux so I should be ok. Just need to check my options for audio mixing and image editing

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I intend on moving to Linux on my next build. Most stuff I use windows for can be done in Linux so I should be ok. Just need to check my options for audio mixing and image editing
I found Linux to just be too much hassle for my liking, not to mention it gets into the same hardware deprecation timeframe as Windows tends to. I have a 2010 Mac Mini Server for a desktop/home file server and a 2020 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro for my main machine these days, and have never been happier. I also have a Late-2006 Mac Mini (The first Core Duo model, upgraded to a Core2Duo) and the legendary 1997 Blue and White G3 PowerMac still in working order. I am thinking about setting the old Mini up as an adblocking router as a project.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I found Linux to just be too much hassle for my liking, not to mention it gets into the same hardware deprecation timeframe as Windows tends to. I have a 2010 Mac Mini Server for a desktop/home file server and a 2020 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro for my main machine these days, and have never been happier. I also have a Late-2006 Mac Mini (The first Core Duo model, upgraded to a Core2Duo) and the legendary 1997 Blue and White G3 PowerMac still in working order. I am thinking about setting the old Mini up as an adblocking router as a project.

I refuse using Apple except as a work computer (as in, the one provided by the company).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
All I have to say is praise Gaben for making the steamdeck. Since that thing came out and valve worked on their proton translation layer, gaming on Linux is no longer a meme

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Linux will never NOT be a meme.
Nah, ever since android and chromium/chromeos Linux hasn't been a meme. Even the ps consoles run on a custom freebsd which is pretty similar to Linux. That said using Linux on desktops has usually been more trouble than it's worth, but at least with game compatibility rising after steamdeck came out there's an option.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But it wasn't? The sentence starts with "I've been told".
4chan users also say that their uncle who works on Nintendo also told them a lot of things. This is only a Microsoft fanboy website, pretty likely it's only a fake rumor from a random Xboxera forums user or something like that.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Satoru

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Nah, ever since android and chromium/chromeos Linux hasn't been a meme. Even the ps consoles run on a custom freebsd which is pretty similar to Linux. That said using Linux on desktops has usually been more trouble than it's worth, but at least with game compatibility rising after steamdeck came out there's an option.
I don't know... I bet you can install a lightweight Linux distro with a games manager UI into a lower end NUC, plug it into a TV and get a nice console like experience from it.
And the Deck did push for Proton breakthoughs, truth be told. A few devs have even gotten keen on supporting Linux again.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't know... I bet you can install a lightweight Linux distro with a games manager UI into a lower end NUC, plug it into a TV and get a nice console like experience from it.
You can. Especially if you want an emulation box running something along the lines of RetroPie, but fuller-fat. There's more than one distro that basically just package a kernel, RetroArch and boot right into the game menu.

D

Deleted member 51

Are you new to the pc scene? Because if you've been part of the windows ecosystem for a while you will see that microsoft is trying to progressively take away ownership of your computer away from you, even inserting bullshit ads in the OS. And it's the same story in every one of their products, they are trying to force their entire user base into renting and perpetual subscription slavery to use their products. It's disgusting. Every new version of windows becomes more and more controlling, more and more intrusive, microsoft demands more and more control of your system and hardware.
New to PC gaming? No, been gaming since 95', and compared to then, it's a trillion times easier/better now.

Let me ask you this, what is your viable alternative which can run everything natively, with no issues? If there is none, then what can we do about it? I've had no issues with windows 11, and it seems to be better than 10 in many ways. My only issue is the transition to more Apple like simplification of the menus and what not, as that's why I absolutely hate Apple computers and their phones.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
New to PC gaming? No, been gaming since 95', and compared to then, it's a trillion times easier/better now.

Let me ask you this, what is your viable alternative which can run everything natively, with no issues? If there is none, then what can we do about it? I've had no issues with windows 11, and it seems to be better than 10 in many ways. My only issue is the transition to more Apple like simplification of the menus and what not, as that's why I absolutely hate Apple computers and their phones.
Then you clearly don't know about the terminal environment in MacOS. The underpinnings of MacOS are BSD UNIX, with all the capabilities that allows. I have a full BSD Port installation on my Mac, and if something for the graphical environment doesn't do what I want, i can download and build a BSD tool for the job.

Also, menus can be customized.

D

Deleted member 51

Then you clearly don't know about the terminal environment in MacOS. The underpinnings of MacOS are BSD UNIX, with all the capabilities that allows. I have a full BSD Port installation on my Mac, and if something for the graphical environment doesn't do what I want, i can download and build a BSD tool for the job.

Also, menus can be customized.
Again, if I don't like the company, the policies, or their lackluster OS, plus inability to do a fraction of what I currently do on windows, why would I make myself suffer? You clearly didn't read my post.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Again, if I don't like the company, the policies, or their lackluster OS, plus inability to do a fraction of what I currently do on windows, why would I make myself suffer? You clearly didn't read my post.
A Windows fanboy calling another OS lacklustre is hilarious hypocrisy, and just reinforces that you don't know shit.

Reactions: Hezekiah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Have you tried using other OS besides windows?

D

Deleted member 51

A Windows fanboy calling another OS lacklustre is hilarious hypocrisy, and just reinforces that you don't know shit.
Oh look, a person who is recommending Apple on a gaming forum. You can't honestly be serious here. What an uninformed/clueless fanboy you are.
Have you tried using other OS besides windows?
Linux, but not applicable for me. Pretty much there's no alternative to Windows, unless you use some type of emulation. And again, gaming is first priority.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh look, a person who is recommending Apple on a gaming forum. You can't honestly be serious here. What an uninformed/clueless fanboy you are.
Am I recommending it for gaming?

I mean, some of the emulation stuff on the Apple Silicon machines is pretty crazy, but no. Consoles are for games, computers are for work and the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 51

Imagine saying this

Consoles are for games, computers are for work and the web.

Lol. I can't with you. No I'm not paying MORE money on apple products, to emulate Windows games with LESS frames and LESS quality.

Last edited by a moderator: