Requirement to use internal tools blamed for the state of Halo and Fable's delays

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Again, if I don't like the company, the policies, or their lackluster OS, plus inability to do a fraction of what I currently do on windows, why would I make myself suffer? You clearly didn't read my post.
I use Windows 11 and like it.
But what exactly it do to you that others OS can’t? I mean I like Windows but it is more limited than others OSs.

The biggest Windows push is Gaming but that is because the devs not caring (due most gamers being on Windows) to bring their games to others OSs than Windows being the best place to develop games.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
"PC open-platform" fanboys aka "MS Windows - Valve serfs" do sure love to espouse how great their "open" ecoystem is, except, it's just Windows - hence the monopoly, with Valve too as a client monopoly for third party gaming software distribution - an apendange to that singular monopoly. That's what its and amounts to in practice and we live in reality, not alternate theoretical universes of make-believe. At the end of the day, these folks can jump through 50 hoops and play the appearances game all they want online but they're selfish humans exposing the same selfish wants as their "closed" ecosystem counterparts aka we want our platform "the best platform in our belief", to have the most and best gaming content (if all) - fuck everybody else on other platforms (aka not my business). Everything else is a front for idiots. So the push is for every publisher to converge on the Windows PC ecosystem - with Sony, being the most important and prominent hold-out as it regards to the wants of this specific sub-section of PC fanboys, caving in to MS under this new leadership for the sake of profit-maximization (that is what they can sell to the higher ups). Never mind shooting themselves in the foot strategically speaking on the hardware front future wise. Sony continues to bank on the idea that they will continue to have an almost unrivaled monopolistic market-leadership position in the console front - and for the foreseeable future they do. But that mindset was true as well after the PS2, even more so then - talk about absolute market leadership - those were the days. If Sony thought (if at all considered) that caving in on Windows PC was gonna satiate MS's hunger, while making a few bucks on the side, they're finding out really quickly with these acquisitions moves from MS that the only thing that it does is encourage even more aggression, the smell of weakness. But an effective challenge to the current status quo, while ineffective by American corps (greed backfires on them at every turn) can certainly come from somewhere else, and those players are working very smartly on this, at their own pace. When you're surrounded by vipers, every move has to be carefully planned.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
A lot of pissing at each other going on in this thread. Not good guys.

@DoctaThompson I think in terms of the "circle jerk" comment, there just isn't a lot of positive things happening for Xbox right now. They aren't releasing titles, they are about to have an entire year with basically nothing, and at least from where I am standing, not much for next year either outside of Starfield, which already looks old fashioned.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but if Xbox started doing better, I think the rhetoric you see around it would simply change. I mean look at the sales. They aren't selling games. They are third in unit sales, in their strongest territory, even with a system being marked down to 200 dollars while practically giving away game pass. I played some old SNES games on my Switch last night, and had more fun with that than I have on the Xbox platform since I played Panzer Dragoon Orta on the X1X (now thats a classic game).

Xbox is just not doing well. I don't think there is a way to sugar coat it. As long as people who are actually fans won't admit that, it won't get better because MS has no motivation to do so (unless it wants to actually start making money). I bag on them because I actually think a strong third pillar in the console space would be good. It just hasn't been there for ten years at this point.

If there are some good PC games you're playing you should post about them! I'd like to hear if I was missing out on something great, personally.

P

peter42O

not much for next year either outside of Starfield, which already looks old fashioned.

- Redfall
- Starfield
- Forza Motorsport
- Minecraft Legends
- Age of Empires II
- Age of Empires IV
- Ghostwire Tokyo
- Ara: History Untold

Just because a lot of games don't appeal or interest those here doesn't mean that they don't have much. And none of the above includes unannounced games or all the day one Game Pass games which granted, majority here don't care about but a lot of Xbox fans do care about, myself included. So while 2022 was bad (2017 was worse in my opinion), there's a lot to look forward to on Xbox in 2023.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
- Redfall
- Starfield
- Forza Motorsport
- Minecraft Legends
- Age of Empires II
- Age of Empires IV
- Ghostwire Tokyo

Just because a lot of games don't appeal or interest those here doesn't mean that they don't have much. And none of the above includes unannounced games or all the day one Game Pass games which granted, majority here don't care about but a lot of Xbox fans do care about, myself included. So while 2022 was bad (2017 was worse in my opinion), there's a lot to look forward to on Xbox in 2023.
Looking forward to Minecraft.

I feel so sorry for you.

24 Jun 2022
Site was much better when it started vs now. Look at all the members that used to post, which don't anymore. There used to be variety here. Now? Not so much.

TBF, DynamiteCop kept saying some ridiculous stuff themselves. Sleepy Brown had some of the wildest anti-PS stuff I've ever seen outside of like a single post. I enjoyed that stuff for the comedy, tho.

Every thread becomes a shit on Xbox/pc thread.

Unfortunately, MS have had very little in terms of genuinely good events with Xbox this year. That's the fault of no one on this forum; it's Microsoft's. We didn't tell them to have zero big 3P Day 1 releases for GamePass outside of (arguably) Plague Tale: Requiem. We didn't tell them to rely on only Pentiment & Grounded for 1P this year. We didn't tell them to still have inferior performance in several of the biggest 3P releases this year even as late as last week. We didn't make them end up getting sued by the FTC over the ABK acquisition. We didn't tell them to price Series S with steep discounts for several months and still come in 3rd in November NPD.

There's been a lot of weaknesses with Xbox this year and that made it pretty easy to criticize them.

Only discussions become, shit on Xbox and PC. That's it. Show me one positive thread that doesn't resort on shitting on either of these two. If you can't, then don't say anything.

Personally I don't really shit on PC (at least, I don't think I do), and while I've been increasingly critical of Xbox and Microsoft as a whole, I've hopefully been able to counterbalance that with highlighting things they are doing at least decent at, or offering constructive criticism of things related to them and my own suggestions on how things could be improved.

I know not everyone does that, but maybe instead of focusing on such you could focus on meeting people in the middle and acknowledge that yeah, MS's made some mistakes, but at least try asking them how they think things could be better for the brand.

P

peter42O

I feel so sorry for you.

Why's that?

I have a shit ton to play in 2023 on Xbox. A few exclusives that I actually want to play, a bunch of day one Game Pass games and a bunch of third party multi-platform games.

24 Jun 2022
the console versions of halo infinite run really well and look good enough , it is the PC version that has problems
(campaign mode performance specifically)

Doesn't Halo Infinite on Series S drop to like sub-720p?

Let's take @thicc_girls_are_teh_best "future of Xbox" thread as an example it was cross posted on GAF and here.
Seemed to be better and more serious discussion here than on GAF.

Yeah, some actual deep insights from multiple people here in that thread. And to rebuff DoctaThompson's thoughts, quite a few of that good insight was from @peter42O a self-admitted Xbox fan.

Microsoft is pretty much my only option, as I don't care to use Linux based on my workflow, etc. But I honestly don't really get the hate? I wish they could get direct storage out already, but besides that, I have no qualms with them. As matter a fact, I'm glad they started putting their games on PC and focusing more on it, as no one lost from that.

Do you use GamePass on PC? I remember before recently using PC GamePass was basically a complete nightmare if you wanted to relocate or delete installed games.

Are you new to the pc scene? Because if you've been part of the windows ecosystem for a while you will see that microsoft is trying to progressively take away ownership of your computer away from you, even inserting bullshit ads in the OS. And it's the same story in every one of their products, they are trying to force their entire user base into renting and perpetual subscription slavery to use their products. It's disgusting. Every new version of windows becomes more and more controlling, more and more intrusive, microsoft demands more and more control of your system and hardware.

Kind of a reason I'm holding off upgrading to W11. My laptop can handle it no problem, but the earlier horror stories make it a no-go for me. At the very least, I'm gonna backup all my files, programs and program settings to an external drive just in case something goes stupid, but it seems like a lot of the issues have been ironed out.

So I'll most likely upgrade it next year. Though Linux has been very tempting (I just worry some of my programs would be incompatible tho I think most of them have Linux versions TBH).

To be fair, windows 10 has been nothing but rock solid on my computer.

Wish I could say the same. My newish laptop for the past year or so had some weird blue screens and freezes whenever going into tablet mode, thankfully some firmware updates cleared that out (it's an Asus, FWIW, but some of the updates seemed they were due to W10 issues that needed a firmware patch to clean up).

Randomly now the USB driver may screw up when disconnecting devices, forcing me to cold reset and have the database rebuild. Nothing critical thankfully, but it's annoying when it happens and I NEVER had that type of issue with Windows 7. I'd probably say it's due to code bloat.

Reactions: PropellerEar

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
Come On Over GIF by Nick Drake

Soap Tool GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo
Gold-Playstation-5-Front-with-Wireless-Controllers.jpg

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A lot of pissing at each other going on in this thread. Not good guys.

@DoctaThompson I think in terms of the "circle jerk" comment, there just isn't a lot of positive things happening for Xbox right now. They aren't releasing titles, they are about to have an entire year with basically nothing, and at least from where I am standing, not much for next year either outside of Starfield, which already looks old fashioned.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but if Xbox started doing better, I think the rhetoric you see around it would simply change. I mean look at the sales. They aren't selling games. They are third in unit sales, in their strongest territory, even with a system being marked down to 200 dollars while practically giving away game pass. I played some old SNES games on my Switch last night, and had more fun with that than I have on the Xbox platform since I played Panzer Dragoon Orta on the X1X (now thats a classic game).

Xbox is just not doing well. I don't think there is a way to sugar coat it. As long as people who are actually fans won't admit that, it won't get better because MS has no motivation to do so (unless it wants to actually start making money). I bag on them because I actually think a strong third pillar in the console space would be good. It just hasn't been there for ten years at this point.

If there are some good PC games you're playing you should post about them! I'd like to hear if I was missing out on something great, personally.
Doesn't matter. We are supposed to praise and cheer the poor underdog Xbox for trying or else be branded as circle-jerkers 😛

24 Jun 2022
Let me ask you this, what is your viable alternative which can run everything natively, with no issues?

Aren't Apple making things way easier for devs by improving Metal for game development? RE8 had some really good performance on Apple silicon IIRC.

If Sony thought (if at all considered) that caving in on Windows PC was gonna satiate MS's hunger, while making a few bucks on the side, they're finding out really quickly with these acquisitions moves from MS that the only thing that it does is encourage even more aggression, the smell of weakness.

I don't necessarily think Sony skipping out on PC would've changed MS's ideas on going for purchasing huge 3P publishers. It's probably a bit more complicated than that.

They had an MOU signed with Sony for Azure (which is probably 100% dead now), so at some point they were probably rathe comfortable with their likely sales and revenue with Xbox this generation. Something must've happened to spur this publisher acquisition strategy and go scorched Earth with any intents of having Sony as an Azure client, and I'm thinking it's them realizing their 1P teams just weren't up to snuff fast enough.

Halo Infinite had a bad first showing, other games like Everwild and Fable only had CG trailers and behind the scenes either had barely started or were already in trouble. They probably saw the reception to that May 2020 event and then that year's June showcase, saw preorders for Series X & S drop significantly, projected softening division revenue and stalling growth of GamePass subscribers. The impending lockdowns only exacerbating their 1P teams who were already falling behind in production. They probably noticed that the gen was going to kick off being a bloodbath for Xbox and certain insecurities of the brand started nagging them; they didn't want to risk performing even worst than the XBO because they knew what that would mean.

So at some point before September, they started working with Zenimax on an acquisition. Zenimax being a private company, meant they didn't need to bother with shareholders, and I'm assuming the regulatory process was a tad simpler. They made that Zenimax acquisition announcement right before launching the new consoles and saw the positive boost it had for the brand, but Zenimax also immediately got them things their other 1P teams weren't able to deliver either at all or in time: big recognizable IP and revenue streams for Xbox and GamePass, and new games releasing in a reasonable time frame.

IMO MS buying Zenimax was a vote of non-confidence in the devs they had acquired prior, in a small way, They probably thought the shot-in-the-arm of buying Zenimax earlier wasn't enough for long-term retention, so when ABK presented itself as an opportunity, MS pounced. And I think between that, then getting Zenimax earlier, and seeing things like some of the strategic partnerships with 3P publishers through Azure (as we've seen with Sega), I think Sony's come to a conclusion that whatever comfortable outlook MS had in early 2020 is out of the window but, more of actual importance as it relates to Sony, MS's growth ambitions in the gaming market inevitably seem like they'd make Sony subservient to them and increasingly unable to provide for 3P partners in an independent fashion. Which is something platform holders REALLY need to be able to do, to stay relevant as a platform holder.

Yep and it's pretty much that simple. There are people who are going to cap and shill for the brand no matter what, but they don't realize they're hurting its ability to improve and grow. They take every corporate talking point and run with it, their convictions change with whatever is in flavor for the week.

Personally I think there are some things MS have been doing okay with in general, but as this year went on more and more cracks started showing. Then the big ones just shattered last week. All of those bad optics combined were just devastating for the brand and even some of the biggest shills like Destin and Klobrille have gotten fed up (or at least are acting like they have).

I'm hoping next year is a significant improvement but it's a long wait to see.

- Redfall
- Starfield
- Forza Motorsport
- Minecraft Legends
- Age of Empires II
- Age of Empires IV
- Ghostwire Tokyo

The ones out of that list I'm most interested in are Starfield & Forza but if some speculation is true and going by @Yurinka 's insights on the dev process, both of those games are probably not hitting the H1 2023 release window. I think it's weird no new trailers or release dates more specific weren't put up at the TGAs, and we're supposed to believe MS have some secret event for end-of-year? Why wouldn't they show at the TGAs, where way more people are actually paying attention?

Nah, I think both games are probably getting delayed until H2 2023, if they need the extra time so be it. But I really don't care about the others listed there though. IMO MS's bigger problem is whether those games are good or not, most of them just don't have selling power. Or if they do, MS will probably not do much to actually sell them. And by that I mean really get people as a whole treating them like a big deal; MS just generally suck at marketing & messaging for their games and lump everything into GamePass but that actually hurts the individual appeal of games.

Sony has Spiderman 2 coming, Nintendo BOTW2. Just those two games alone have the power to drown out everything MS has coming next year, never mind all the big 3P releases that where some may be multiplat, but if so Sony have the marketing rights (that MS could've outbid them on if they cared when it mattered, btw) and we already know how 3P sales tend to swing between PS and Xbox.

Crystal clear 540p, my friend.

Mark Critch Comedy GIF by CBC

On an Apple Watch, maybe.

Reactions: laynelane

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The ones out of that list I'm most interested in are Starfield & Forza but if some speculation is true and going by @Yurinka 's insights on the dev process, both of those games are probably not hitting the H1 2023 release window. I think it's weird no new trailers or release dates more specific weren't put up at the TGAs, and we're supposed to believe MS have some secret event for end-of-year? Why wouldn't they show at the TGAs, where way more people are actually paying attention?
I don't remember if the footage was new, but MS had a 'Games coming to GP' sizzle video as one of the TGA ads that as I remember included at least Starfield and possibly Forza. They mentioned a timeframe there, not sure if it was games for 2023 or games for the next 6 months / half a year.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Aren't Apple making things way easier for devs by improving Metal for game development? RE8 had some really good performance on Apple silicon IIRC.
Not really, they basically forced devs to migrate legacy projects on OpenGL to Metal, its a proprietary to Apple, so another thing to support.
But when that's in place you have access to a lower level API and all the good things that brings.

D

Deleted member 51

To reply to everyone here....

No, I'm not an Xbox gamer for the last time! Haven't had one since 360 days. Just because I'm saying this is mostly a PS circle jerk, doesn't automatically make me an Xbox gamer. I wish everyone would be able to see past the, "oh you don't have a X, so you must be a Y!", mentality. Please stop grouping me into a category I don't even belong to. Especially after all of my posts are about PC.

And no Apple is not viable, I have a huge library of near, if not over 1000 games across multiple launches. I have no issues with windows, and have no intention on switching, unless it were to be an upgrade. No mentions in here point to an alternative that could actually work, instead say, "fuck Microsoft, their platform sucks, try this instead even though it wouldn't work for gaming". Truth be told, gaming is only really viable on windows at the moment. Steam deck is changing this slowly, but there no OS I could simply switch to, and still be able to play all of my games with same performance, etc.

"PC open-platform" fanboys aka "MS Windows - Valve serfs" do sure love to espouse how great their "open" ecoystem is, except, it's just Windows - hence the monopoly, with Valve too as a client monopoly for third party gaming software distribution - an apendange to that singular monopoly. That's what its and amounts to in practice and we live in reality, not alternate theoretical universes of make-believe. At the end of the day, these folks can jump through 50 hoops and play the appearances game all they want online but they're selfish humans exposing the same selfish wants as their "closed" ecosystem counterparts aka we want our platform "the best platform in our belief", to have the most and best gaming content (if all) - fuck everybody else on other platforms (aka not my business). Everything else is a front for idiots. So the push is for every publisher to converge on the Windows PC ecosystem - with Sony, being the most important and prominent hold-out as it regards to the wants of this specific sub-section of PC fanboys, caving in to MS under this new leadership for the sake of profit-maximization (that is what they can sell to the higher ups). Never mind shooting themselves in the foot strategically speaking on the hardware front future wise. Sony continues to bank on the idea that they will continue to have an almost unrivaled monopolistic market-leadership position in the console front - and for the foreseeable future they do. But that mindset was true as well after the PS2, even more so then - talk about absolute market leadership - those were the days. If Sony thought (if at all considered) that caving in on Windows PC was gonna satiate MS's hunger, while making a few bucks on the side, they're finding out really quickly with these acquisitions moves from MS that the only thing that it does is encourage even more aggression, the smell of weakness. But an effective challenge to the current status quo, while ineffective by American corps (greed backfires on them at every turn) can certainly come from somewhere else, and those players are working very smartly on this, at their own pace. When you're surrounded by vipers, every move has to be carefully planned.
Lol WTF kinda meltdown is this?!

Why do you think PC gamers believe Sony is the most important and prominent holdout? They don't sell any better than 3rd party games. You have noticed the not so amazing sales... Right? Get over yourself, and come back down to reality lol. This has got to be a parody post/account.