[Rumour] Sony is planning to acquire CD Projekt RED

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Same, but times have changed a bit.
And yes Kojima and FromSoft would be perfect. They already have worked together with PS for many years and made exclusives together.

There old model of working with a studio for a couple/few ips and then buying them was successful And the best approach.

But now days unfortunately with MS going shopping and buying studios/Ips Sony needs to be a bit quicker then there previous model. Or at least carry the old model on and then also buy ready established and maybe risk buying new unproven ones before someone else buys them.

Ninja Theory made exclusive and timed exclusive for PS. Supermassive made exclusives for PS. But both got bought by others. Either Sony needs to buy these types of studios they work with faster, or/and take the risk and buy ones they think will be good. + Established proven studios.
Sony neglect of Ninja Theory' and Supermassive is also puzzling. They said they were caught off guard by the success of Until Dawn but then pretty much threw Supermassive to the curb outside of a VR game.

Ninja Theory' could have been their stylized action game studio.

Don't even get me started on how they treated Ready At Dawn and Hello Games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It's still a brand new IP. Days Gone would have gotten a sequel if it was up to Playstation, let's be real.

Up until this rumor PlayStation squashed a direct sequel being their next game tho.

Now we might actually get one. Good news if true.

(I’m just highly suspect it won’t be bend and I hope it will be. It’s like asking for a Bloodborne sequel knowing Miyazaki may never do it)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony neglect of Ninja Theory' and Supermassive is also puzzling. They said they were caught off guard by the success of Until Dawn but then pretty much threw Supermassive to the curb outside of a VR game.

Ninja Theory' could have been their stylized action game studio.

Don't even get me started on how they treated Ready At Dawn and Hello Games.

Correct and correct.
Tbh, I know people don’t like Quantic Dreams, but I loved Detroit and was a unique game/genre for PS. They should of also been bought.
They should of also nabbed Level 5 after all these years. They’ve made a good few JRPG’s together.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's still a brand new IP. Days Gone would have gotten a sequel if it was up to Playstation, let's be real.

Days Gone is a brand new IP. A sequel wouldnt be a new ip.
They need new ip with most of the teams working on sequels. GOWR, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GOT2. Enough sequels for now lol

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony always does this thing that everyone should noticed - 3 game deal! If all 3 are hits they will acquire, or they will adquire the studio if it’s new and with talent and on a city where do not have any studios there.

I think with the current market, they need to act faster then a 3 game deal. Its a good strategy to get good quality but MS/Embracer can come and buy them like they done with Ninja Theory and SuperMassive who both made exclusives for PS

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Days Gone is a brand new IP. A sequel wouldnt be a new ip.
They need new ip with most of the teams working on sequels. GOWR, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GOT2. Enough sequels for now lol
You realize all these games are still new IP's right? Except the GoW reboot. A game doesn't stop being a new IP the minute it's time for a sequel. This weird mentality some Playstation have where they think it's smart or feasible for studios to keep starting over after each success. If you want faster turnover rate for games, sequels are needed for this as well..

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I think with the current market, they need to act faster than a 3 game deal. Its a good strategy to get good quality but MS/Embracer can come and buy them like they done with Ninja Theory and SuperMassive who both made exclusives for PS
Embracer already lost billions on a deal that failed. MS doesn’t know how to manage studios

I think the slow approach is the best! Specially for Sony!
Anyway if anyone wants to know who Sony might really buy! My bet are on IO interactive and Square ( if they sort their mess )
Next year we will see a more aggressive Sony/PlayStation. People might get surprised.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Up until this rumor PlayStation squashed a direct sequel being their next game tho.

Now we might actually get one. Good news if true.

(I’m just highly suspect it won’t be bend and I hope it will be. It’s like asking for a Bloodborne sequel knowing Miyazaki may never do it)
The power of listening to bad faith actors instead of finding out the truth.

Again playstation never shuttered the sequel. It was the head of Sony Bend who rejected the pitch and fired the lead director. The pitch for a sequel never got to playstation.

I don't see a sequel happening but it's been obvious for years Playstation was very happy with the game.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnic and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You realize all these games are still new IP's right? Except the GoW reboot. A game doesn't stop being a new IP the minute it's time for a sequel. This weird mentality some Playstation have where they think it's smart or feasible for studios to keep starting over after each success. If you want faster turnover rate for games, sequels are needed for this as well..

Ok, my term for new IP would be brand new IP. I think we just define them differently. To me a sequel is not a new IP but it doesnt matter about My definition.
Otherway PS needs some brand new Ips as well as sequels

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Embracer already lost billions on a deal that failed. MS doesn’t know how to manage studios

Anyway if anyone wants to know who Sony might really buy! My bet are on IO interactive and Square ( if they sort their mess )
Next year we will see a more aggressive Sony/PlayStation. People might get surprised.
Isn't IO Interactive now aligned with Xbox? I'm sure they are.

Sony is being dumb with Square they should just buy them already. Imagine not wanting Final Fantasy 14 under your roster since you are obsessed with GaaS.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Ok, my term for new IP would be brand new IP. I think we just define them differently. To me a sequel is not a new IP but it doesnt matter about My definition.
Otherway PS needs some brand new Ips as well as sequels
I agree they needs New IP's. So far we know we are getting one from Housemarque, Sony Santa Monica, Sony Bend and Naughty Dog? Anyone else ?

• they're_right_you_know

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

There latest Hitmans has been a great job from them. I just don’t think they have many IPs but as a developer they would be a great purchase.

It is best, but I just think they have to mix it up a bit. MS, Embracer, Tencent are like a couple of purchases away from completely changing the market.
What makes you think they will be more aggressive?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The power of listening to bad faith actors instead of finding out the truth.

Again playstation never shuttered the sequel. It was the head of Sony Bend who rejected the pitch and fired the lead director. The pitch for a sequel never got to playstation.

I don't see a sequel happening but it's been obvious for years Playstation was very happy with the game.
And we have a winner. It was Bend themselves that shut it down, not Sony.

Reactions: Danja1187

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I agree they needs New IP's. So far we know we are getting one from Housemarque, Sony Santa Monica, Sony Bend and Naughty Dog? Anyone else ?

Media Molecule? London and Manchester studios?
Bluepoint? I wonder if Bluepoint is working on a remake, a brand new ip or a new sequel to an already established series?

Im guessing Cory Balrogs game is a brand new IP. I hope the same for ND.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Isn't IO Interactive now aligned with Xbox? I'm sure they are.

Sony is being dumb with Square they should just buy them already. Imagine not wanting Final Fantasy 14 under your roster since you are obsessed with GaaS.
IO does have a 3 game deal with Sony. Kojima is also making a game for Xbox but his studio also has a 3 game deal with Sony.

Square enix is a mess internally! Yeah they should had brought them already but to clean the mess and put those studios working well it will take time so I understand why it didn’t happen yet although there were talks of a buyout.

Anyway PlayStation is not obcessed with GasS is just trying something new. They will not stop doing what they always did and focus only on services.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
And we have a winner. It was Bend themselves that shut it down, not Sony.
I dunno why people are so obsessed with bend! The lead director went rogue on the media because he was too emotional attached to the game, I mean he still talking about it.

And I told this before, Sony is trying really hard to keep the studio, even doing a tv show of the IP.
So where does this Sony didn’t wanted days gone comes from? They give freedom to the studios.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
IO does have a 3 game deal with Sony. Kojima is also making a game for Xbox but his studio also has a 3 game deal with Sony.

Square enix is a mess internally! Yeah they should had brought them already but to clean the mess and put those studios working well it will take time so I understand why it didn’t happen yet although there were talks of a buyout.

Anyway PlayStation is not obcessed with GasS is just trying something new. They will not stop doing what they always did and focus only on services.
I think Square Enix will be definitely Sony’s first major deal in their history. Square Enix was a mess, that’s why they needed first to trimm the fat by selling the western arm. Well I don’t expect until Square Enix moved in their new and bigger HQ close to Sony in Shibuya. It will be either with the move in November 2023 or early 2024 close to the Fiscal Year Report.

Reactions: Zeroing

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
There latest Hitmans has been a great job from them. I just don’t think they have many IPs but as a developer they would be a great purchase.

It is best, but I just think they have to mix it up a bit. MS, Embracer, Tencent are like a couple of purchases away from completely changing the market.
What makes you think they will be more aggressive?
Stupid Sony ceo finally realized PlayStation is their main business.

Sorry but the guy really messed up PlayStation!