Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform. Wants to publish on Sony and Nintendo!

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Great quote from Era:
Changing the nature of exclusivity" is some great spin, MS absolutely should use that in future.

Their big strategy is that they've convinced some eggs up top that there are generations of untapped gamers out there, that my 60+ mum has been waiting all her life for a way to play video games and that she's finally gonna be able to do it because Game Pass is now available on her phone? Mate she spends all day on Pinterest and checking weather apps, she ain't figuring out touch controls, or buying a backbone pad, hooking up an Xbox pad or working out how to sub to Game Pass.

Like I get the need to expand your audience, especially when you've lost most of your own due to how you've run your company over the years, but man they're in cloud cuckoo land.

24 Jun 2022
revenue.jpg
Does anyone know where this chart is from? I looked up the revenue and profit amounts on Google to see if they matched; they do, but they seem to be for Q2 FY '23 (Sept-Dec), so I don't know how this chart is saying Q4 FY '24 when their FY '24 doesn't even start until July this year.

EDIT: Never mind it seems like on their own website the release for the call is labeled as Q1 FY 24 for some odd reason, but it's for the period that ended at the end of September last year, which IIRC is MS's Q1 for their fiscal years (July-September).

Anyway, I'm really asking about the chart because as you can see, Xbox as a division (which I'd assume also includes Game Pass) is clearly losing Microsoft money. You don't need to be a graph-reading expert to see that.

Reactions: VillaiN

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
View attachment 3732
Does anyone know where this chart is from? I looked up the revenue and profit amounts on Google to see if they matched; they do, but they seem to be for Q2 FY '23 (Sept-Dec), so I don't know how this chart is saying Q4 FY '24 when their FY '24 doesn't even start until July this year.

EDIT: Never mind it seems like on their own website the release for the call is labeled as Q1 FY 24 for some odd reason, but it's for the period that ended at the end of September last year, which IIRC is MS's Q1 for their fiscal years (July-September).

Anyway, I'm really asking about the chart because as you can see, Xbox as a division (which I'd assume also includes Game Pass) is clearly losing Microsoft money. You don't need to be a graph-reading expert to see that.
Only 3.9b in revenue for xbox? Weren't they supposed to be getting like $1b/quarter off gamepass/subscriptions? But we heard Phil say that it only accounts for 10-15% of revenue...that means the real number is closer to 400m-600m/quarter. They're absolutely losing a shitload of money off gamepass.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
He could be also saying it to satisfy the regulators who were trying to stop the acquisition....

Maybe they want to buy another lol
Putting a few crappy titles on other consoles to make them seem like the good guys

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
He could be also saying it to satisfy the regulators who were trying to stop the acquisition....

Maybe they want to buy another lol
Putting a few crappy titles on other consoles to make them seem like the good guys

i was literally thinking the same thing

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Maybe he’s the problem and not Jim Ryan
Both are / were. Jim Ryan is a good business man but he also doesn't fully understand or appreciates the community of his brand. The brand sorta become too corporate under him. Certain things use to feel like events under past leadership now that's all gone. Marketing has become trash under his leadership
It seems like it now. At any rate, this needs to be addressed....

They're on the verge of dominating console and winning another possible 20+ million customers but with the plans of this guy, they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Now I'm wondering if Jim was truly for the PC / Mobile push or was the pressure coming from the stringent account traitor CEO... since Jim is aware PC is a threat to his ecosystem. Wonder if things weren't gelling between them and eventually Jim decided to dip... :geek:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You can't do that in an investor/shareholder meeting. It'd be outright lying and a major legal issue. Companies are legally bound to increase profit for shareholders. Satya can't outright say something in an investor conference and then not do it.

He said he'll put games on other consoles.
Did he say how many?
I havent read it but Im guessing COD and maybe titles lile Diablo

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Again, investor/shareholder conference. Legally bound to be truthful. Can't lie to investors. This isn't just some random interview but an official investor presentation.
How many games did they say they are bring over to other console? I havent read the whole thing or watched anything

They have lied directly in Activision purchase in court