Shinji Mikami, founder and CEO of Xbox's Tango Gameworks, is leaving the company

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
he hasn't announced retirement plans, that's all damage control.

:LOL:

Certain places are basically repeating 'retirement' over and over.... the amount of damage control, how fast it reacts and the fact that no other real views can really be expressed freely is really damaging to discourse around gaming.....

Basically nobody on reset has said that he left probably cause he didn't want to work for MSFT and all of them bar one acknowledge that it is 2 years to the date almost of the acquisition being completed and that is too coincidental.

Then a few keep saying Netease will get him.... that is to cover another angle (i.e. no, Sony isn't allowed to get him) despite the fact Sony already have Nakamura working on an exclusive game.

There's also this bizarre line they all keep repeating about HiFi Rush being such a great hit that Tango is set up to succeed in the future... I honestly don't know why I bother reading the posts there, maybe I just get some enjoyment out of how detached and stupid they sound.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Certain places are basically repeating 'retirement' over and over.... the amount of damage control, how fast it reacts and the fact that no other real views can really be expressed freely is really damaging to discourse around gaming.....

Basically nobody on reset has said that he left probably cause he didn't want to work for MSFT and all of them bar one acknowledge that it is 2 years to the date almost of the acquisition being completed and that is too coincidental.

Then a few keep saying Netease will get him.... that is to cover another angle (i.e. no, Sony isn't allowed to get him) despite the fact Sony already have Nakamura working on an exclusive game.

There's also this bizarre line they all keep repeating about HiFi Rush being such a great hit that Tango is set up to succeed in the future... I honestly don't know why I bother reading the posts there, maybe I just get some enjoyment out of how detached and stupid they sound.
Where'd you hear that about Nakamura and Sony?

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Bryank75

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Anyone find it also quite coincidental that this was announced the same day as the PS State of Play is on. It's probably nothing...but still! Quite the coup!
orig

• haha
Reactions: EN250 and Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

it's a very disingenuous look. Their victim complex shines through over and over, no one is allowed to blame MS for anything, everything is fine, Hi Fi Rush is GOTY, Deal will pass, etc. or else you're banned.

Something is very wrong at Microsoft Xbox right now. This is too much all at once.

Xbox is decaying from within.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
So we can add this to the studios in turmoil at MS

Tango loses Shinji Mikami
343 gutted
The Coalition gutted
The Initiative disbanded for a third party developer
Playground Games lost its founder and Forza Horizon directors - Fable in dev hell
Ninja Theory in Dev hell with Hellblade 2
Rare - Everwikd in development hell
Mojang - can't even get a ray tracing patch done
Compulsion Games - bet you forgot MS even bought this dev half a decade ago
Undead Labs - State of Decay 3 still in preproduction, has apparently been a hell hole since the founder left in 2019

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
I love this man's work. If he is truly retiring he deserves it he is almost 60 and a legend 🤘

• Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Dino Crisis
  • Vanquish
  • The Evil Within

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
everyone just retired or get sick on m$. this pattern so obvious.
look, when deal breaks, next in like Phil is retiring or sick.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

343 gutted
The Coalition gutted
Playground Games lost its founder and Forza Horizon directors - Fable in dev hell
Undead Labs - State of Decay 3 still in preproduction, has apparently been a hell hole since the founder left in 2019

I think the answer to fix all those things is to add a publisher on top.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

343 gutted
The Coalition gutted

You forgot to add Halo Infinite project being the biggest flop and failure since E.T. and 343 subsequently being gutted and fired from the job.

Oh. It’s there… I just needed to make it sound more insulting.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
imagine having your projects scoped and limited to be $30 dollar gamepass fodder when you are SHINJI FUCKING MIKAMI, creator of Resident Evil.

There is no way this didn't infuraite Mikami san. Playing support on some small crummy projects taht sell 30k copies for an American owned studio?

No way. This man is a legend and deserves to be treated as such, like Kojima.
Mikami did NOT create RE. He hated that he was saddled with directing a horror game and was an absentee through the dev process. He only took the credit when it was a success, and then he destroyed what made the games great when the real brains behind them got sick of his shit and left Capcom.

Mikami is a fraud and a major asshole.

Reactions: Muddasar