Sony have dodged a bullet

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Well, I don't agree with that and that kind of aggressiveness needs to be toned down a little bit.... we can criticize constructively but just calling things 'shit' helps nobody and results in a tit for tat squabble.
Aside from posts by Ghostz, because those are all objectively shit.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Do you seriously think anyone could play it for ten solid minutes without the game crashing and glitching?
Well thats part of the problem yeah?

I saw a story on The Verge (Tom Warren of course :rolleyes: ) saying "watch 45 minutes of Starfield Gameplay" and it's like .... no it's a 45 minute video, but was there even 5 minutes of actual gameplay in there? If you cut out ALL the cinematic stuff and put together JUST the views that were of someone playing, how long was it really? I kept thinking "stop showing this stuff!" because I wanted to see the actual game being played, not "movies."

Good marketing video, but again, we saw very little ACTUAL gameplay.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Because you can't. The Xbox showcase was great.
H6J0wxa.jpg
That's what they mean when they say xbots.

• they're_right_you_know

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think the only real game changer to really knock sony back on its heels was Starfield, i do think its gonna be big.

Fable might also be big, it has graphics that rival sonys first party and its a big open world rpg with a bunch of emergent systems. Sony desperately needs one of those.

Thats why i keep saying they need to get a dev like CDPR. No one else can make those kind of games besides the studios microsoft bought already

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Starfield is a harder hitter than spider-man but Sony has already successfully debuted many of its strongest IPs and coming into the holiday with both FF16 and Spider-man.

The online

Lol no way, outside of hardcore/pc gamers no one knows what starfield is. It might change with good word of mouth but spider-man is spider-man. It’s gonna sell to everyone, even people that don’t like video games that much

It already has the cross-media synergy with spider-verse too.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I have no clue what you're talking about tbh. You're just angry because Microsoft had a great showcase today, while the Sony showcase was mid. And the majority agrees.

I mean Minecraft alone outsells all Sony 1st party games in the PS4 era combined.
Microsoft's best games? Stuff like Halo with a 97 metascore? Something Sony never reached with their 1st party games? Or is that too old for you so it doesn't count? "Lesser quality" when you literally saw bangers in the showcase today like Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Fable, Clockwork Revolution, etc. Literally 13 1st party games. Sony can't even announce more than 5 1st party games in their own showcase. They have to pay Square-Enix for some timed-exclusivity.
And Activision-Blizzard is coming next. 1 COD game alone will outsell all Sony 1st party games they release in one year.

It's funny tbh.
Meanwhile Sony's highlights (after almost 2 years) were 3 CG trailres and a Gran Turismo movie trailer.
But hey, keep malding.
Great, you're back. The abk deal is still gonna fail by the way. Look forward to your next ban.

• thisistheway

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
PlayStation is in an extremely strong position.

Starfield is a harder hitter than spider-man but Sony has already successfully debuted many of its strongest IPs and coming into the holiday with both FF16 and Spider-man.

The online games shown at Sony’s show are doubtfully even 2024 games outside of maybe Marathon. So next year is still mostly up in the air and what to expect is based on assumptions. Need something real and that won’t happen for a quite awhile and if we’re lucky maybe see something in august from any game dev.

Do we believe Xbox showed their 2024 slate today? Do we believe Fable will make it? Eh.

I think Starfield is all they got for the long while tbh. Can’t hate… Todd Howard is carrying that entire games division.
Spider man will obliteare starfield in sales and popularity

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yea you guys probably also think FF16 is bigger than Starfield.

Totally fucking not. Game is huge and can equal whatever spider man and marvel brings to ps5.

And quite honestly … way way way more important of a game release.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think they did a great show, the best they could with what they have. I think Starfield, Forza and Flight Simulator will be top tier games.

Several 1st party games looked not top tier but interesting, even if we still don't know how are they going to be, because like Fable or Hellblade they only shown cinematics instead of proper gameplay, and in some cases didn't even have a release year. Some of them, like Avowed may not be great -in that case at least with visuals- but I understand Obsidian has their niche of fans who like them not for the visuals.

They also shown some great 3rd party games from Capcom, Ubisoft or Atlus. Some other interesting 3rd party games for GP. Little amount of uninteresting GP shovelware.

And well, I think everybody at Microsoft and Ninja Theory knows Hellblade 2 won't be released in 2024 unless they axed the original plan and it's now shorter than Hellblade 1.

I think they shown enough stuff to keep their fanbase hyped for the next year and a half. Are they now at the same level of Sony? No, Sony has by far a more appealing lineup for the next year and a half. Unlike MS, they didn't show all their cards because Sony already had revealed many of them.

Totally fucking not. Game is huge and can equal whatever spider man and marvel brings to ps5.
Starfield won't release -at least for now- on PlayStation and will be day one on GP, so forget seeing sales nowhere near to previous Bethesda big games.

I bet you'll never see it above Spider-Man 2 in any sales ranking and that will sell less than Final Fantasy XVI. Also, consider it won't be released in XBO, so the console userbase it will have at release it's going to be what, 18-20M being a bit optimistic?

Being optimistic and counting future consoles sold and PC it can sell maybe 10M games, let's say even 15M after selling it for $5 in PC in many years from now. Spider-Man 2 and Final Fantasy XVI will sell both above 20M.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Totally fucking not.

Yes the Final Fantasy series with 3 decades of history and arguably also containing the greatest game of all time is smaller than a new IP.

Please.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yes the Final Fantasy series with 3 decades of history and arguably also containing the greatest game of all time is smaller than a new IP.

Please.

Has any final fantasy game even matched a Bethesda rpg? Nice disregarding one legacy in favor of another. Clumsy actually.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Has any final fantasy game even matched a Bethesda rpg? Nice disregarding one legacy in favor of another. Clumsy actually.

Best selling RPG games Franchises

This list only includes franchises that sold above 5 million units.

FranchiseSalesRef
Pokémon440 million[1]
Final Fantasy168 million[2]
Dragon Quest84 million[3]
Monster Hunter84 million[4]
Borderlands72 million[5]
Soulsborne58.5 million[6]
The Elder Scrolls58.5 million[7]
The Witcher50 million[8]
Lineage43 million
Fallout38 million
Kingdom Hearts35 million[9]

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No one is disregarding anything.

A bit ridiculous to compare a new IP with the second best selling RPG series of all time.

Second only to Pokemon.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
And Pokemon too.

So Starfield is bigger than both cause Bethesda released Skyrim?
There have been around the same amount of games but Pokémon has outsold it almost 3:1.

Starfield will without a doubt be bigger than FF. It will have 20+ million unique users within a few months. This FF game will never reach that number of players.