Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

24 Jun 2022
Thts the mythical PC tht doesn't need an SSD, disc drive, cooling, keyboard, mouse, body, etc all it needs is a GPU shit it doesn't even need a worthy cpu. These PC dudes kill me with this blatant nonsense and disingenous takes like ppl are oblivious lol

TBF, you can build a PC at PS5 spec for maybe a couple hundred dollars more, while getting a lot more in return (Steam, tons of productivity & creation software, CPU/GPU/RAM upgradability options, potentially a lot more SIE 1P games (GaaS and non-GaaS) releasing sooner or even Day 1, all Microsoft 1P games, extensive retro gaming options, etc.).

That's not a bad trade-off at all for about a $200 premium over a console.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The PS5 is 500 EUR, I've shown you what an RTX 4060 costs. Prove your claim that you can build a PC that is just as good as a PS5 for cheaper. You can't skip buying a windows license nor any of the parts needed to build a computer.

There you go, pretty similar to the PC I own that so far was able to run pretty much every released game fine at 1080p with similar settings to PS5 and many times at 60fps while the consoles was arbitrarily locked at 30.

This is not the optimon price range for PC, you would probably be better of if you were willing to pay a little more for the GPU, you would need it for more demanding games if you wanted to go above 60fps or above 1080p. Personally I don't care, my GPU even does fine with my Quest 2.

Last edited:

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
TBF, you can build a PC at PS5 spec for maybe a couple hundred dollars more, while getting a lot more in return (Steam, tons of productivity & creation software, CPU/GPU/RAM upgradability options, potentially a lot more SIE 1P games (GaaS and non-GaaS) releasing sooner or even Day 1, all Microsoft 1P games, extensive retro gaming options, etc.).

And have the privilege of not owning your games, not really. I am not sure I need a PC on par with PS5 when it comes to creation and productivity software. I had a go at creating a YT channel and could make videos WO issues and my PC is definitely weaker than a PS5. Steam is a great storefront TBF and actually offers refunds, unlike PS. Yes, emulation is another one I forgot.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023

Not that I don't believe that you could have some configuration that could be around a PS5 for 300 or 400 EUR more, but I'd rather us try to have actual hard numbers because those claims are usually clouded by platform preference. Even if the value the PS5 offers now is less for money than what it was at launch, if PS5 Pro does show up, that will shoot up the value once again.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023

There you go, pretty similar to the PC I own that so far was able to run pretty much every released game fine at 1080p with similar settings to PS5 and many times at 60fps while the consoles was arbitrarily locked at 30.

That's a PCI 3.0 SSD, not 4.0. It's very slow compared to the one on PS5.
PS5 runs games above 1080p, you will run into problems with texture quality with only 8 GBs in RAM.
You didn't include a windows license. That's what? Another 50 dollars?
The case you included doesn't even have a price.

And it still costs you 611 dollars. You need to add a couple of hundred dollars or more into your build to make it competitive with a PS5.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That's a PCI 3.0 SSD, not 4.0. It's very slow compared to the one on PS5.
PS5 runs games above 1080p, you will run into problems with texture quality with only 8 GBs in RAM.
You didn't include a windows license. That's what? Another 50 dollars?
The case you included doesn't even have a price.

And it still costs you 611 dollars. You need to add a couple of hundred dollars or more into your build to make it competitive with a PS5.
Makes no difference at all on PC.

As I said before you cleary aren't a PC player, on PC you are extremely unlikely to settle for 30fps like console does many time, so if you go with a small budget 99.9% of people will favor framerate over resolution.

Get out of here with Windows, I play on Linux. Don't you own an old notebook? Just copy the windows key from it if you love Windows so much or just remove the mark MS will put on screen after a few months if you don't buy it.

Case doesn't have a price because this is months old, but it was 600$ when the person picked these parts then. PC parts change price all the time, a newer $600 built would be slightly diferent to account for that but this already proves that a $600 build is very viable.

You asked for it, I showed it, now if you don't want to face reality that is on you.

You definition of being competitive is arbitrary as well, how much do I need to invest on a PS5 for it to be competitive with a RTX 4070? On PC you have the freedom to pretty much build whatever you want, if you suddenly demand (interesting since on PS5 you don't seem to demand much) you need to pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banana

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
Makes no difference at all on PC.

As I said before you cleary aren't a PC player, on PC you are extremelly unlikly to settle for 30fps like console does many time, so if you go with a small budget 99.9% of people will favor framerate over resolution.

Get out of here with Windows, I play on Linux.

The SSD does make a difference, as you will be sitting there waiting for decompression to finish or loading screens, it affects the quality of the experience.

You said equal to PS5 or better for the same price, of course you can dial down everything to very low settings, that's not the point.

You need a windows license if you don't want to deal with Valve's emulation layer. It's a bad experience for the user.

Again, you make claims that make no sense. The PC is obviously a great platform for many things, including gaming. It's just that you need to spend a decent amount of money to make that experience worthwhile.

Why would I spend all that time installing OS, dealing with emulation layers, configurations and whatnot just to get a shittier PS5?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The SSD does make a difference, as you will be sitting there waiting for decompression to finish or loading screens, it affects the quality of the experience.
No it doesn't on PC, at least when it comes to gaming. It will be pretty much unnoticeable in the vast majority of games as long as you have a decent enough SSD. If you want it so much just buy a PS5 certified SSD, they don't cost that much more.

For years while you were waiting for loading screen on PS4, PC players already were using SSDs. My first SSD I got in 2010 on console you had to wait another 10 years.

I never said equal or better for the same price, I said similar performance for a little more. PC is different as I mentioned, you are very unlikely to accept a PC games running at 30fps while on console players usually will brush it aside. You are free to cap games at 30fps if that is your thing.

If you want native 4K at 60fps the PS5 will also not be able to do that on more demanding games, far from it.

PS5 price is good for what it offers but it's not a night and day difference compared to PC, PC tends to be more expensive because people demand a lot more when picking their own PC, while on console you just get whatever configuration Sony chose for you.

Your false narrative that a PC that can run PS5 games decently costs a lot more than a PS5 is just not compatible with reality, face it.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The SSD speed benefits between 3.0 and 4.0 on PC is very negligible and borderline not a factor in many games.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

We know this lol that wasn't the issue at all. Ppl saying for same price and other bs was. Disingenous conversations. We've all been on these forums, we all love gaming and we've all been in the "how to build a pc thread" or forums showing price ranges. And to be frank thts if you build it yourself which most ppl will not and cannot do. I was conservative and put $800 but even thts low and I'd say $300 more than a PS5 for a PS5 experience or well you know in terms of the perf and resolution or better at times but still got to deal with the headaches :) Again they just aren't as easily accessible as ppl are making it out to be or same price range.

Reactions: ForzaJuve

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We know this lol that wasn't the issue at all. Ppl saying for same price and other bs was. Disingenous conversations. We've all been on these forums, we all love gaming and we've all been in the "how to build a pc thread" or forums showing price ranges. And to be frank thts if you build it yourself which most ppl will not and cannot do. I was conservative and put $800 but even thts low and I'd say $300 more than a PS5 for a PS5 experience or well you know in terms of the perf and resolution or better at times but still got to deal with the headaches :) Again they just aren't as easily accessible as ppl are making it out to be or same price range.
Your ignorance of PC makes me suspect that one day you'll buy a PC and turn on PlayStation. I've seen it happen many times. You list a bunch of reasons to dislike PC that aren't even real anymore (if they ever were). You don't need a RTX 4090, you don't need a computer science degree to operate it, etc. You also like VR if I'm not mistaken and you would love Half-Life Alyx.

I'm a guy that turned on PC (to a degree, that is why I dislike PS5 becoming too much like PC, I recognize the shortcoming of both) so I at least have experience of multiple decades playing on both. PC was never as competitive as it is today in terms of overall experience to play console like games. That is without even getting into all the other thing a PC would be able to do that a console can't.

If you want to build a $600 PC you'll be able to and will be able to enjoy all PS5 games if you build it right.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
People who saying you can play games just as well as PS5 for the same price of PS5 is chatting bollocks.

Even double of that you still running into troubles. 4070 alone I think should be around 600 US Dollars, and a scalable CPU like 13600 should be around 300 USD. Those alone is already double of PS5. Adding other components and you will end up around 3 times time price of PS5 w/o disc drive. Don't forget pherhiprals like mouse, keyboard and controller.

Performance != Experience. Some people don't understand this concepr.

I spent like 3000 USD on my PC alone and still have problems.

Oh and don't forget you have to install 8000 launchers that conflict with each others just to play few games. Funny how that work.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

This is not the optimon price range for PC, you would probably be better of if you were willing to pay a little more for the GPU, you would need it for more demanding games if you wanted to go above 60fps or above 1080p. Personally I don't care, my GPU even does fine with my Quest 2.
Don't forget to add in a decent mouse and keyboard and a mousemat to the price too, not a Dell one.

+ thermal paste ;)
+operating system.

You have already doubled the price of a diskless PlayStation... and it's not even a fantastic PC.

What happens if the Ps5 Pro comes out later this year? What are you going to do with that system?

The ps5 pro will probably cost less than that thing you have build and will probably shit all over it, what then, time to upgrade the graphics card and CPU?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Don't forget to add in a decent mouse and keyboard and a mousemat to the price too, not a Dell one.

+ thermal paste ;)
+operating system.

You have already doubled the price of a diskless PlayStation... and its not even a fantastic PC.
He making shit up lol. You cannot use Quest on Linux, like at all, it requires Windows. The only one you can use on Linux is the Valve Index, and it costs quite lot. I know that because I play VR on Linux, it is an pretty annoying proccess. Game like DCS requires another Windows drive.

Probably dude have a computer that can play Counter Strike at 900p barely reaching 75FPS and pretend to be a PC guru.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

+ thermal paste ;)
+operating system.

You have already doubled the price of a diskless PlayStation... and it's not even a fantastic PC.

What happens if the Ps5 Pro comes out later this year? What are you going to do with that system?

The ps5 pro will probably cost less than that thing you have build and will probably shit all over it, what then, time to upgrade the graphics card and CPU?
You forgot about the RGB lighting.

Thermal paste comes with the CPU, if you are not going to overclock there is not point to change it. I see very little point in overclocking these days.

Linux is free as I said, I hate Windows (Windows is also "free" because everyone has a notebook that has a windows license you can use somewhere), you can even download a image from MS servers and remove the marking by simply altering the registers if that is your style.

You can sell your PC just like you can sell your PS5. If a PS5 Pro comes out what are you going to do with your PS5?

My PC was built over the years, traded part multiple times, I needed it for other uses. My current GPU I bought used from China and sold my old one, so it was pretty much a free upgrade from a Ryzen 1600x to a Ryzen 5600, this CPU will easily last me until the end of this gen. My original CPU from this current build cost less than $100 at the time many years ago.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Consoles are cheaper than PCs, especially when it comes to playing modern day games, there's not competition there.

I see it as, if you want to play AAA games, a console is the best and cheapest option, for everything else, it's PC.

I picked up a PC, second hand, for the price of a PS5 and it plays modern day games in 1080p@60fps high/ultra on some games. I don't need, or want, 4k on modern day games that are frankly a bit crap. The ones worth playing I'll wait for a discount for.

Once a PS5pro+PSVR2 hits <750 quid, I'll be snatching them up. I'll be able to play the games at deep discount and save a few quid.

Reactions: nongkris

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He making shit up lol. You cannot use Quest on Linux, like at all, it requires Windows. The only one you can use on Linux is the Valve Index, and it costs quite lot. I know that because I play VR on Linux, it is an pretty annoying proccess. Game like DCS requires another Windows drive.

Probably dude have a computer that can play Counter Strike at 900p barely reaching 75FPS and pretend to be a PC guru.
Look at my posts and you'll see that I wrote that I only use Windows for VR and Gamepass. I don't make shit up.

Funny that you mock my PC but I also own a PS5 and I can attest that they have pretty similar performance and the PC will run plenty of games much better due to how consoles work with poor choices by devs, caped frame-rates and lack of options.

You guys can't face reality apparently and for you to enjoy PS5 you must keep telling yourself that PC is shit, that PC will cost a lot more etc, just not true at all.

PS5 has a pretty well designed hardware for $500 and that is ok.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
@Nhomnhom

Honestly I suggest you shut up before people doubt you, but welp.

Using Quest and Welfare Pass on Linux, by miracles. Magician

Quest on Linux is ridiculous by itself, running UWP walled applications on fucking Linux, like cmon man.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
@Nhomnhom

Honestly I suggest you shut up before people doubt you, but welp.

Using Quest and Welfare Pass on Linux, by miracles. Magician

Quest on Linux is ridiculous by itself, running UWP walled applications on fucking Linux, like cmon man.
As I've said you can look up my previous post where I mention it, that I specifically told that I booted on windows for it. I bought my Quest 2 last month and only am using Gamepass for Persona 3 Reload, all things I already had talked about on the board.

I never tried to use Quest on Linux because I read that it didn't work well. The only PCVR game I'm playing is Half-Life Alyx btw, all other games I just use the Quest 2 itself.

Before this I spent almost 2 years without even having a bootable Windows drive on my PC. Linux works fine for me and I simply like it more than Windows.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Consoles are cheaper than PCs, especially when it comes to playing modern day games, there's not competition there.

I see it as, if you want to play AAA games, a console is the best and cheapest option, for everything else, it's PC.

I picked up a PC, second hand, for the price of a PS5 and it plays modern day games in 1080p@60fps high/ultra on some games. I don't need, or want, 4k on modern day games that are frankly a bit crap. The ones worth playing I'll wait for a discount for.

Once a PS5pro+PSVR2 hits <750 quid, I'll be snatching them up. I'll be able to play the games at deep discount and save a few quid.
The best PC games are usually pretty easy to run, I also am not too big on PC for AAA games.

My second most played game last year was Project Zomboid and my most played was BG3.

I only upgraded my GPU because of Baldur's Gate 3. I was getting terrible performance on Windows playing it there, it was stuttering like crazy, crashing, nearly unplayable. I then upgraded my GPU in an attempt to fix it and it didn't work at all, I finally decided to go back to Linux and try it there and it was drastically better (and at the time some reason Vulkan wasn't working on Linux for anyone but even with DX11 it still worked flawlessly with stable performance and no stutter or textures loading at all).

For me high-end PC parts are pretty unattractive, I have no interest in running PC games above 1080p or extremely high frame rates and I do not see the value in the premium I would have to pay.

Last edited: