Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Nah I don't believe you mate. Your posts does not add up.

If you want to be a PC guru at least make bit more sense.

Also Baldur Gates 3 is CPU bound, not GPU bound. You have a 5600, no ways it gonna be choppy either on Windows or Linux.

Also if you want to run Baldur Gates 3 Linux, you have to run on Vulkan since DXVK do not not work with this game, unless you put some flags in Proton to disable some hash geometries

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not gonna lie @Nhomnhom kinda remind me of @Satoru, the dude probably on his sixth broken Macbook but he still gonna buy a Mac next time and cry about it. Did it happen though?
I never had a Mac. The only Apple product I ever owned was a iPod that was stolen brand new from my luggage while making a flight stop in Argentina. Why I bought it and wasn't using it I have no idea.

I consider getting a M1 Macbook but I gave up on the idea, since my work already provides me with a notebook and I already have a gaming PC and a tablet.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nah I don't believe you mate. Your posts does not add up.

If you want to be a PC guru at least make bit more sense.

Also Baldur Gates 3 is CPU bound, not GPU bound. You have a 5600, no ways it gonna be choppy either on Windows or Linux.

Also if you want to run Baldur Gates 3 Linux, you have to run on Vulkan since DXVK do not not work with this game, unless you put some flags in Proton to disable some hash geometries
Why you keep me accusing of being a liar? That is not cool at all and makes no sense. I just told what happened and even said that upgrading the GPU didn't help much.

At the time I was playing Vulkan would instantly crash on Linux for everyone and DX11 was working fine. DXVK is for DX12 no? I don't use any flag because I installed and uninstalled the game multiple times after and it worked fine (I uninstalled a few time to see if I would stop playing it, until I finally moved on to other games).

Maybe it's because it was CPU bound that it worked better on Linux I've seen it happen multiple times already. I also had stutters on Elden Ring when it released on Windows and got not stutter on Linux. RDR2 was also great on Linux, I played it to completion on Linux and had a single bug (some very specific texture of mud was bugged and would render in a weird way but it was present in only a couple of random spots in the entire game and was very easy to ignore).

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Not that I don't believe that you could have some configuration that could be around a PS5 for 300 or 400 EUR more, but I'd rather us try to have actual hard numbers because those claims are usually clouded by platform preference. Even if the value the PS5 offers now is less for money than what it was at launch, if PS5 Pro does show up, that will shoot up the value once again.

I don't actually prefer PC as a gaming platform if that's what you're thinking. I'm just being realistic about it though.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x ($115)

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 8 GB ($200)

RAM: 16 GB DDR5 ($44)

SSD: 1 TB 8 GB/s M.2 Internal SSD Timetec ($75)

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG X570 ($146)

POWER SUPPLY: 650 Watt PSU ($55)

FAN/COOLING: AK400 ($35)

CASING: Sama Jazovo ATX Mid-Tower ($34)

CONTROLLER: Dualsense ($69)

WINDOWS 11 KEY: Windows 11 Professional ($6.49)

TOTAL: $779.49 (PS5-spec custom built PC), $499.99 (PS5 regular price).

With a difference of just ~ $280.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't actually prefer PC as a gaming platform if that's what you're thinking. I'm just being realistic about it though.

I was close and almost spot on with my $800 assessment.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I don't think you can get an RTX 2080 Super brand new with 2000 US Dollars, is probably used. Also eh 8GB VRAM gonna run you into problem later on. Also 3700X does not support DDR5 nor backward compatible though. And that power supply to pair with RTX 2080, really? not even 80 Plus.

And are you gonna set that up and controlling, install game with a PS5 controller? Really?
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best is cutting corner everywhere, I feel your employer.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I was close and almost spot on with my $800 assessment.
Factor PS+ Essentials for for paid online and that difference goes away quickly. If you are in a country where regional prices makes a difference then the difference will pay for itself even sooner.

I don't think you can get an RTX 2080 Super brand new with 2000 US Dollars, is probably used. Also eh 8GB VRAM gonna run you into problem later on. Also 3700X does not support DDR5 nor backward compatible though. And that power supply to pair with RTX 2080, really? not even 80 Plus.

And are you gonna set that up and controlling, install game with a PS5 controller? Really?
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best is cutting corner everywhere, I feel your employer.
If you boot to Steam Big Picture you pretty much get the SteamDeck UI now, should work fine (I just use regular Steam tho).

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Factor PS+ Essentials for for paid online and that difference goes away quickly. If you are in country where regional prices makes a difference than the difference will pay for itself even sooner.

If you boot to Steam Big Picture you pretty much get the SteamDeck UI now, should work fine (I just use regular Steam tho).
I do agree with the plus costs and game costs in general and saving more in the long run on PC.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yea sure what if you want to play games like Alan Wake 2? What if the game required a external launcher that cause trouble for your game?

It is not like PS5, just accept it lol.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I do agree with the plus costs and game costs in general and saving more in the long run on PC.
Anyway, the entire point is that PC is pretty competitive with console these days it comes down to personal preference. PC isn't a more premium experience necessarily and neither is PS5. PC is also not as inconvenient as it perhaps once was (to me it was always pretty easy since I play on it since I was a kid).

I don't even like modern PC that much, I think it's too much like consoles and I don't care about the potentially better performance and lack of physical media. The cooler PC games are usually made for keyboard and mouse and are easy to run.

If Sony ever gives up on physical media I move to PC instantly and the same is likely true to some extent if all their games get ported to PC day one (I would then probably just never buy a PS6 and sell my PS5 eventually).

I think it would be great if Sony saw PC as a direct competitor because things like better refund, better retro solutions and free online would be great for PlayStation.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Is that GPU second-hand? + + 8 meg on the card enough for today's games?

Plus, add a keyboard, dammit; how are you going to access the bios, with the controller.

Don't make me hurt you :love:

Kid Slap GIF by MOODMAN

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
8GB is enough you'll likely run into other bottlenecks first like your GPU being too weak before the 8GB VRAM becomes a problem. Used VR also will depend on settings and resolution.

Until PS6 requirements for PC games will not be able to increase much further.

On PC you'll usually try to favor framerate over resolution, if you try to play a keyboard and mouse game at 30fps its going to be the worst experience ever. Even just using your mouse on your desktop at 30fps is awful.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Ahh, we now switching to PC because a lot of people blow the CEO's words out of proportion. Pay several hundred more and hope to get games day one. Hell, one of the biggest games ever won't be on PC day one but sure.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
The best PC games are usually pretty easy to run, I also am not too big on PC for AAA games.

My second most played game last year was Project Zomboid and my most played was BG3.

I only upgraded my GPU because of Baldur's Gate 3. I was getting terrible performance on Windows playing it there, it was stuttering like crazy, crashing, nearly unplayable. I then upgraded my GPU in an attempt to fix it and it didn't work at all, I finally decided to go back to Linux and try it there and it was drastically better (and at the time some reason Vulkan wasn't working on Linux for anyone but even with DX11 it still worked flawlessly

For me high-end PC parts are pretty unattractive, I have no interest in running PC games above 1080p or extremely high frame rates and I do not see the value in the premium I would have to pay.
Yeah the idea that you need a £4000 rig to run games is a bit of a myth. I fell foul to it until I bought a pc again. I've been playing modded games, old Xcom, fallouts, RTSs. PC gamepass is shitter than the console version though.

If I wanted to play the latest AAA games it would be a PS5 hands down.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

Plus, add a keyboard, dammit; how are you going to access the bios, with the controller.

Don't make me hurt you :love:

Kid Slap GIF by MOODMAN
At this pace no.

Alan Wake 2 at 1080p Medium took like somewhere 9-10GB if I not mistake. At 1080p lol. Crazy.

That PC probably gonna hamper at Low 1080p for the next 3 years

Reactions: ApolloHelios

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
2080 super and 3700x are better than consoles though, either in grunt or features like DLSS and NVIDIA quality raytracing instead of AMDs "we got raytracing at home"
Long time since I last built a rig, cant believe DDR4 MB are still that expensive. I remember you could easily get away with an 80 USD MB if you weren't looking to OC.

Reactions: Banana

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah the idea that you need a £4000 rig to run games is a bit of a myth. I fell foul to it until I bought a pc again. I've been playing modded games, old Xcom, fallouts, RTSs. PC gamepass is shitter than the console version though.

If I wanted to play the latest AAA games it would be a PS5 hands down.
Even a busted dates PC will still get most of the work done, it's really the rare AAA games that push your system.

I scam Gamepass on PC because I hate MS, I bought 3 months for 4$ for Persona 3 Reload. If that is what Sega is willing to make I'll comply. I ended up deciding to buy the disc on PS5 anyway but I'll wait a for the price to drop a little.

2080 super and 3700x are better than consoles though, either in grunt or features like DLSS and NVIDIA quality raytracing instead of AMDs "we got raytracing at home"
Long time since I last built a rig, cant believe DDR4 MB are still that expensive. I remember you could easily get away with an 80 USD MB if you weren't looking to OC.
My old AM4 B450 motherboard was really cheap at the time I bought pre-pandemic when I see the current prices for new Mobos it blows my mind. I don't see myself moving on to AM5 anytime soon unless prices drastically change. If I sold my motherboard today it would cost more than I paid many years ago.

I have a R5 5600 so even if at some point I need to upgrade my motherboard would still support much better CPUs. The AM4 generation of mobos lasted an unbelievable long time.

Reactions: xollowsob

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Turing ray tracing was pretty shite, probably just a bit better than AMD.

Better turn that shit off altogether since it is a waste of memory and perfomance.

DLSS is better than Fidelity Vaseline surely, but honestly native 1080p still looks better than that these "tech"