Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think it's clear that playstation needs to acquire more studios and open itself back up to having AA projects again to avoid long dry spells.

AA projects don’t take less time to make. Even small indie games take 5+ years to make. Most of the time spent on making games is in R&D and pre-development planning.

I can’t think of one AA title that was made in 2-3 years. Look at things like Hades and HollowKnight…still no where to be found

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That doesn’t mean those are multiplayer projects. Tsushima also had multiplayer expansion with Legends they are most likely going to do Legends 2.

Having multiplayer elements can be any minor thing like Returnal had. Even elden ring and BG3 had multiplayer, but i wouldn’t say those are multiplayer games
You literally just ignored the articles I posted.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
AA projects don’t take less time to make. Even small indie games take 5+ years to make. Most of the time spent on making games is i R&D and pre-development planning.

I can’t think of one AA title that was made in 2-3 years
They are much cheaper and they could simply make more of them.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They are much cheaper and they could simply make more of them.

They’re cheaper but it still takes talented studios and the same amount of time to put them out.

Hades came out in early access in 2018 and the sequel is coming out in early access in late 2024. The return on them also isn’t really significant enough to make a dent in SIE’s profitably. Selling 1-2 million copies of 20-30 dollar indie game isn’t gonna cut it

They make the same amount of money with remasters or pc ports

Reactions: Luffy123

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think we're getting new IP. I'm personally waiting to see what they announce later this year.

The knee-jerk reactions here just get so old and it's the same few people every time.

I know Im one of the few people, but Im disappointed by PS this generation for multiple reasons.

Output of PS studio games, lack of PS studio game news, certain 3rd party franchises not being exclusive anymore, more PC releases than PS5 releases…

Theres things Im happy with too, Final Fantasy being exclusive, Death Stranding 2, ROR, Kojima’s next game ( even though it will probably be PS6 ) Concord, Bungie Purchase, Wolverine, Insomniac output, Buying Bluepoint and HouseMarque.

More power if your happy, I expect much more after the great PS4 generation, Im definitely not happy with the PS studio output

Reactions: Shadow2027

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
I've been beating the "Jim Ryan is Sony's Don Mattrick" drum for a while now. Every year it's looking to be the case more and more.

Meanwhile, all this money dumped into GAAS bullshit, most of which won't be coming out.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think it's clear that playstation needs to acquire more studios and open itself back up to having AA projects again to avoid long dry spells.
Yes. I dont understand why anyone wouldnt want more games and studios from/for PS.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They’re cheaper but it still takes talented studios and the same amount of time to put them out.

Hades came out in early access in 2018 and the sequel is coming out in early access in late 2024. The return on them also isn’t really significant enough to make a dent in SIE’s profitably. Selling 1-2 million copies of 20-30 dollar indie game isn’t gonna cut it

The point is to make the console more attractive to potential buyers
More buyers to the console means they're getting more free money from taking a 30% cut of every fortnite transaction or call of duty mtx
Their operating income keeps going down despite having record revenue, that's unsustainable.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The point is to make the console more attractive to potential buyers
More buyers to the console means they're getting more free money from taking a 30% cut of every fortnite transaction or call of duty mtx
Their operating income keeps going down despite having record revenue, that's unsustainable.

You’re not gonna get more potential buyers making indie and AA sized games. Have we learned nothing from gamepass over the last 3 years?

People want GTA6, COD, 2k…thats how yo get more buyers now, the hardcore audience that care about a 2d side scroller ratchet and clank already have the console

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You’re not gonna get more potential buyers making indie and AA sized games. Have we learned nothing from gamepass over the last 3 years?

People want GTA6, COD, 2k…thats how yo get more buyers now, the hardcore audience that care about a 2d side scroller ratchet and clank already have the console
You’re gonna get GTA6 and COD anyway. These type of fans probably dont buy more than 1-2 games a year.

Its ok to make more games for hardcore PS fans, Sony makes a profit with Ratchet and Clank and they would with something like Resogun.

Good games, do well. Helldivers 1 didnt do anything amazing, now look at the sequel. No point diss missing certain game, ips because they werent super successful before

Reactions: nongkris and Airbus

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan on playstation is actually worse than Phil Spencer on xbox

This is his action taking effect ( pushing playstation studio to make gaas game and tasking them to make pc port)

As soon as he leaves next month we should see an internal meeting to discuss some changes on leadership

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Why do you assume that one has to take the place of the other if they are not made by the same people?

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Jim Ryan on playstation is actually worse than Phil Spencer in xbox

This is his action taking effect ( pushing playstation studio to make gaas game and tasking them to make pc port)

As soon as he leaves next month we should see quite an immideate reversal
Jim Ryan reminds me of Xbox 360 era Phil Spencer, a guy that completely destroyed the productivity of Xbox studios the moment he was put in charge. He still benefited from previous momentum but a few years later it caught up to them.

Seems like the focus on PC ports, remasters, remakes and GaaS took all the wind out of Sony studios as they were spread too thin. Also, it looks like PlayStation studios are unable to think ahead because there is no way the 2023 and 2024 were deemed acceptable and it's not like many games have been delayed or anything, almost no games have even been announced.

Naugthy Dog is the best example, the spent the last few years working on a remake, a remaster and a canceled GaaS title that was original just a multiplayer mode (that up to that point they had included in their previous big games like TLoU and Uncharted 4). If this is how they manage their flagship studio then I can only wonder about the rest.

Now imagine if for some reason Sony had been unable to buy Insomniac in 2019? Would they have gone over 2 years without a big release? Yes they would aparently.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Shu doesn't want the stress anymore, he's close to retiring. And with Connie and her team, we're fucked
It’s crazy how you spreading all,of this doom and gloom News. But for Xbox, the other day you were saying everything is A okay. Lol

OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Jim Ryan reminds me of Xbox 360 era Phil Spencer, a guy that completely destroyed the productivity of Xbox studios the moment he was put in charge. He still benefited from previous momentum but a few years later it caught up to them.

Seems like the focus on PC ports, remasters, remakes and GaaS took all the wind out of Sony studios.
This is a perfect comparison. PS5 sold so well for so long because they were riding off of the goodwill from the PS4 generation of games.

No one could've have predicted that Jim and Hermen would completely grind to a halt the productive first party output that had been working so well for over a decade.

The effects of the pc ports and cancelled GAAS were always going to take years to show the effect. And trust me 2024 is just the start of the decline. If the PS5 Pro isn't announced with a slate of first party exclusives then I fear for the future of the brand.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
They can still release new IPs, that slide is about existing franchises and the 25 millions target was always too high. 21 millions is still great.

This thread is very negative after they had a record-breaking Q3, the highest ever in PS history by far. Focus on that 💁‍♂️
It’s crazy. Sometimes I really ask myself is this really a pro PS site.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They can still release new IPs, that slide is about existing franchises and the 25 millions target was always too high. 21 millions is still great.

This thread is very negative after they had a record-breaking Q3, the highest ever in PS history by far. Focus on that 💁‍♂️
21 million is great if they can reach it.
And I didnt realise they can release new Ips.

On a side note, what the hell are Asobi doing? Its been 4 years, no Astrobo this year Im guessing

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
The only “main” studio im aware of doing a GAAS is Naughty Dog, so why haven’t the other studios released games? Bend, Suckerpunch, Team Asobi, Bluepoint, etc?

This whole thing just kind of shows that a lot of people in these kind of spaces have no clue what they’re talking about. Jim Ryan’s plan of getting sustainable income through GAAS is the smartest way to go about increasing profitability without doing anything severe to harm the studios like layoffs or porting games to other platforms, or filling single player games like MTX like ubisoft does.

If Sony had listened to people on here and bought a publisher like square enix their profit margins would look even worse. They’d be in the same exact situation Microsoft is in right now
Like I said a million times. Most gamers and people here have no idea how to run a business. They wouldn’t even know how to run a mom and pop shop.