Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All this shit I'm talking about is not killing consoles as we speak. It's near future not it's not here yet. PS5 is doing well overall. Xbox is failing because it sucks. PS bringing games to PC isn't having a massive impact on platform decisions yet, it's just free money for Playstation.
So what do you think is making PS5 sell less that the PS4?

To me PlayStation became an instantly less atractive proposition the moment ports were announced.

This narrative that PC players and console players are completely separate demographics is absurd and not based in reality.

What I'll accept as an explanation is that Sony know this is costing them a lot of sales of PS5 hardware but they think it's worth it somehow. Maybe someone who only owns a PS5 to play the exclusives isn't very valuable to them.

It still looks to me as a huge mistake for the long term with very small return in the short term and a huge risk associated with it even if it works out.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
This is correct, it blows my mind people can't see it coming.

Valve learns from their mistakes and they learned a lot from the Steam Machines experiment. The main lesson was that Linux wasn't ready at the time and they went and worked on it and we can see the fruits of their labor with the Steam Deck and modern Linux gaming.

If all games, including PlayStation games are already being made to work on any hardware then PC is begin set up to take over. There is hardly any disadvantage for it except lack of physical media (something that unfortunate is dying).
Thank God for that.

Linux runs games better than windows now.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Two wars, an economic crisis, a pandemic... Take your pick, and remember only upwards of a million less in their compared lifetimes..... If not for those things it would sell more. Taking just one number as benchmark is fools errand.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Thank God for that.

Linux runs games better than windows now.
Overtime that will just lead to Sony becoming another generic third-party publisher, I would much prefer to have PC and PlayStation both at their best doing what they are good at doing.

Two wars, an economic crisis, a pandemic... Take your pick, and remember only upwards of a million less in their compared lifetimes..... If not for those things it would sell more. Taking just one number as benchmark is fools errand.
PS4 was the follow up to the PS3 and was overall just a much worse console for it's time than PS5 is now. PC ports have affected PlayStation image and likely will cost many millions of sales over the entire gen.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
PS4 had massive sales around this time in its life cycle, so even with selling a million or two less number of consoles PS5 is selling for more money. Also their revised sales number could be broken and PS5 can sell more than predicted in Q4 with current European sales.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

To me PlayStation became an instantly less atractive proposition the moment ports were announced.

This narrative that PC players and console players are completely separate demographics is absurd and not based in reality.

I don't think they're separate demographics. I don't think there's much of a difference in taste between the two. Some heavy mouse genres like MOBAs, Civ, city builders, etc lean PC, but AAA action games are equally suited to either one.

For the moment, the bigger driver is just tech annoyance. What's your tolerance for driver updates and shit? If you're generally comfortable operating Windows, there's a lot of benefits to buying games on Steam. If you just want to sit down and game without any hiccups, Playstation is easily the best choice.

What's making PS5 sell less than PS4? Covid slowed initial take-up. Anecdotally a lot of my friends with PS4s haven't seen a big reason to upgrade. I don't think that's only because of SCE teams dropping the ball on exclusives. It's industry-wide that developers/publishers are not trying to push the next gen as far as they can. There's huge commercial pressure to stay within the performance window of PS4 and sell to > 100M people. This is a big reason why I want PCs to merge with consoles. If you want a console experience, you can get it, but publishers won't get gunshy about selling to a tiny next-gen audience. There's always a gradually improving performance window, and I think that is much better for everyone.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
PS4 had massive sales around this time in its life cycle, so even with selling a million or two less number of consoles PS5 is selling for more money.

Considering their shrinking margins, it's not outside the realm of possibility that even with the price increase and no price cut for the foreseeable future, they're still losing more money per console than PS4.
Selling for more money doesn't mean anything to PlayStation if they're still losing the same amount of money or more with a smaller console install base trajectory.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Too many studios we haven't heard in such a long time.

Bluepoint, team asobi, suckerpunch and firesprite.

The first 3 last release was over 3 years ago, surely they could muster a trailer by now with what they are working on?

Firesprite was acquired over 2 and a half years ago and nothing.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Screenshot_3.png

• party
Reactions: Luffy123

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Too many studios we haven't heard in such a long time.
Bluepoint, team asobi, suckerpunch and firesprite.
The first 3 last release was over 3 years ago, surely they could muster a trailer by now with what they are working on?

Bluepoint is working on their first original game, this won't be a timely affair as this is a new thing for them.
Asobi I think we should hear about in June, and SuckerPunch released their last product in 2021.
I'm sure part of the studio was already at work on GoT 2 or w/e they're working on, but they're not ready.
Or at least, not ready in the sense that PlayStation wants to show less trailers for games that are pretty far out.

Firesprite was acquired over 2 and a half years ago and nothing.

Everybody forgot about the Horizon VR game :ROFLMAO:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony PC releases for 2024: Helldivers 2 day one, Until Dawn remakes (day one?), Horizon Forbidden West definitive edition

Other strong possibilities if Sony gets desperate to raise that profitability: God of War Ragnarok definitive edition, Spider-man 2, Ghost of Tsushima, GT7.

Sony is probably already sitting on those ports like Nintendo does with their games that are ready to go.

• sad
Reactions: J_Paganel and Nym

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't think they're separate demographics. I don't think there's much of a difference in taste between the two. Some heavy mouse genres like MOBAs, Civ, city builders, etc lean PC, but AAA action games are equally suited to either one.

For the moment, the bigger driver is just tech annoyance. What's your tolerance for driver updates and shit? If you're generally comfortable operating Windows, there's a lot of benefits to buying games on Steam. If you just want to sit down and game without any hiccups, Playstation is easily the best choice.

What's making PS5 sell less than PS4? Covid slowed initial take-up. Anecdotally a lot of my friends with PS4s haven't seen a big reason to upgrade. I don't think that's only because of SCE teams dropping the ball on exclusives. It's industry-wide that developers/publishers are not trying to push the next gen as far as they can. There's huge commercial pressure to stay within the performance window of PS4 and sell to > 100M people. This is a big reason why I want PCs to merge with consoles. If you want a console experience, you can get it, but publishers won't get gunshy about selling to a tiny next-gen audience. There's always a gradually improving performance window, and I think that is much better for everyone.
PS5 requires me to update more than my PC does. I don't like Windows but my experience with Linux has been grate lately.

Linux gaming to me pretty much fixed my biggest annoyance with Windows PC, uneven performance and stutter.

As for PC games merging with consoles you are getting your wish, I personally prefer them as separate as possible. My favorite PC games are the ones that are made without taking consoles in consideration.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Lol completely forgot about that.

Firesprite is also working on two games, so realistically there was a point in time where they were working on 3 games, these games don't come out of nowhere.

Sony PC releases for 2024: Helldivers 2 day one, Until Dawn remakes (day one?), Horizon Forbidden West definitive edition
Other strong possibilities if Sony gets desperate to raise that profitability: God of War Ragnarok definitive edition, Spider-man 2, Ghost of Tsushima, GT7.

Sony is probably already sitting on those ports like Nintendo does with their games that are ready to go.

They're not sitting on ports, many of their PC ports are coming in hot, which clearly indicates that many of them simply aren't given enough time to cook in the oven. They're releasing them as fast as they can.
Nixxes and the current porting house partners simply can't keep up.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Firesprite is also working on two games, so realistically there was a point in time where they were working on 3 games, these games don't come out of nowhere.

They're not sitting on ports, many of their PC ports are coming in hot, which clearly indicates that many of them simply aren't given enough time to cook in the oven. They're releasing them as fast as they can.
Nixxes and the current porting house partners simply can't keep up.
When was the last botched Sony PC port? Probably TLoU Part I almost one year ago. That game made it to PC before even being included on PS+ and seems like it sold very little. The first entry of one of Sony biggest IPs after it exploded in popularity due to an HBO TV series.

The remaster of TLoU alone sold over 18.5m+ on PlayStation.