Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today to acquire Audeze, a leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming headphones

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
So in order to grow a lot their gaming business, in addition to continue focusing on PS investing on PS more than ever before, Sony also wanted to expand to other gaming platforms, particularly mobile or PC, because a big majority of the players are there. Particularly the ones from growing regions like (non-Japan) Asia or South America where they mostly play on mobile or PC only. PC and mobile is way more important in these markets than allso is in EU+NA+JP.

s-l1600.jpg

Hello fucking 2011.

Sony had so much going for them early. Gaikai, Onlive, PS Minis, PS1/2 Classics, PS SharePlay, PS Remote Play, Cross play/save/buy, PSNow streaming on multiple devices. PS Vita, even though it was physically hamstrung by lack of buttons and had other decisions made to hamstring it.

Why in the blue fuck did they kill all those, and now trying again a day late and a dollar short? Just like with failed 3P relationships: example something going on with Ballistic Moon now, but it's not at the level it would have been if they sorted SuperMassive Games years back.

It's like they took a 10 year nap and negated their strongest points, outside of the GAMES.... and even the games they're spaffing away towards Steam/Deck.

Can anyone imagine if there was an actual 3 point attack?

- Modern Xperia Play / PS Phone.
- PS Vita 3.5 with all buttons, Remote Playing of PS5 which it can't do.
Or PS4 Portable, take your pick.
- PS Home Console with it's games still exclusive to PS ecosystem.

And they retained their shareplay/remote play, streaming from PS+, cross buy/save/play initiatives?

No one wants half-products ffs! Sony leadership are fucking clueless!

Reactions: Puff
24 Jun 2022
Source? Sounds like another anti-Sony fantasy typical from IconEra, that goes straight against reality.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/sony-ceo-consoles-a-niche-market-within-the-games-industry

It was Jim Ryan WRT console gaming:

"If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market, if you will,"

He then followed it with this:

"But for core gamers, immersive experiences are something we would like to value."

The question is whether they are valuing it, taking it for granted, or exploiting it for profit gains, and the answer is going to change depending on who is being asked. IMO I think it's a mix of all three, which realistically isn't a bad thing. That would be the case for all companies in the industry, TBH.

What is bad, is if the balance isn't right. Ideally the balance should weigh heaviest towards valuing it, and least towards exploiting it. The question is are Sony's current moves, messaging and the such showing that ideal balance? I would say they are not. I'd say right now they're around 50% valuing it, 35% taking it for granted, and 15% exploiting it.

Ideally, I think you'd want a company to be 70% valuing it/25% taking it for granted/5% exploiting it. None of the Big 3 are at that ratio right now, and I'd say Microsoft is at the worst (20% valuing it/50% taking it for granted/30% exploiting it), but that doesn't mean Sony's ratio is suddenly amazing by comparison. It's still off. Nintendo's is probably something like 60% valuing it/30% taking it for granted/10% exploiting it.

And, I say that because Switch as a console/handheld is their only hardware avenue for 1P content whereas Sony have been increasingly also pushing PC, plus Nintendo have generally limited Switch hardware variants to the typical Collector's Edition models that are centered around new games (like TOTK), whereas Sony are pumping out a lot of peripherals and accessories to increase ARPU off existing owners.

Reactions: Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/sony-ceo-consoles-a-niche-market-within-the-games-industry

It was Jim Ryan WRT console gaming:

He then followed it with this:

The question is whether they are valuing it, taking it for granted, or exploiting it for profit gains, and the answer is going to change depending on who is being asked. IMO I think it's a mix of all three, which realistically isn't a bad thing. That would be the case for all companies in the industry, TBH.

What is bad, is if the balance isn't right. Ideally the balance should weigh heaviest towards valuing it, and least towards exploiting it. The question is are Sony's current moves, messaging and the such showing that ideal balance? I would say they are not. I'd say right now they're around 50% valuing it, 35% taking it for granted, and 15% exploiting it.

Ideally, I think you'd want a company to be 70% valuing it/25% taking it for granted/5% exploiting it. None of the Big 3 are at that ratio right now, and I'd say Microsoft is at the worst (20% valuing it/50% taking it for granted/30% exploiting it), but that doesn't mean Sony's ratio is suddenly amazing by comparison. It's still off. Nintendo's is probably something like 60% valuing it/30% taking it for granted/10% exploiting it.

And, I say that because Switch as a console/handheld is their only hardware avenue for 1P content whereas Sony have been increasingly also pushing PC, plus Nintendo have generally limited Switch hardware variants to the typical Collector's Edition models that are centered around new games (like TOTK), whereas Sony are pumping out a lot of peripherals and accessories to increase ARPU off existing owners.
Ok, so as I said he never mentioned that gaming is a niche market. Instead he mentioned what I suggested, the fact that console is a small portion -and if we only look at PS even less- of the whole gaming market, and that they may expand to other gaming markets but that they'll continue focusing on PS.

What he said that Q&A instead was, when asked about the importance of the console business inside the game industry:

Q: As you look at the future of the game industry, the importance of the console business, what is your outlook for the importance of that?

A: As we speak, we provide, as I said, the immersive business and experience is something we would like to continue to place importance on. If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market, if you will. But for core gamers, immersive experiences are something we would like to value. In this respect, for the time being, the console as something that brings about computing functionality to the users is very important, but on the other hand, technology will progress, and so as I said today, the Remote Play and PlayStation Now, the streaming services will be worked on in parallel, that is what we are doing at this moment.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...bels-console-gaming-as-a-niche-market.118575/

Last edited:

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
did i read the term 'industry leading' somewhere in the blurb. Literally never heard of them, even as a cheapy brand you might see down your local Tescos. I know 'Technika' wank TV's (or whatever they were called) more than I know about this company.
Now you know but brands and tech like this isn't for everyone.

24 Jun 2022
Ok, so as I said he never mentioned that gaming is a niche market. Instead he mentioned what I suggested, the fact that console is a small portion -and if we only look at PS even less- of the whole gaming market, and that they may expand to other gaming markets but that they'll continue focusing on PS.

What he said that Q&A instead was, when asked about the importance of the console business inside the game industry:

Q: As you look at the future of the game industry, the importance of the console business, what is your outlook for the importance of that?

A: As we speak, we provide, as I said, the immersive business and experience is something we would like to continue to place importance on. If you look at the game industry as a whole, the console market is not a major market, rather it's a niche market, if you will. But for core gamers, immersive experiences are something we would like to value. In this respect, for the time being, the console as something that brings about computing functionality to the users is very important, but on the other hand, technology will progress, and so as I said today, the Remote Play and PlayStation Now, the streaming services will be worked on in parallel, that is what we are doing at this moment.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...bels-console-gaming-as-a-niche-market.118575/

I know what the quote is, I've read it. And we know in practice how SIE are tackling that prioritization of console as a part of their gaming strategy: specific timed 3P exclusivity deals with Square-Enix, some Chinese publishers, and smaller 3P devs. Making tons of accessories and peripherals for the current install base to grow ARPU. Taking 1P console games and porting them to PC in increasingly shorter time intervals.

So again the question is, how much of this is 'valuing' the console, versus 'taking it for granted' or 'exploiting' it? And is the ratio healthy for mid/long-term? The answer will change depending on who you ask. However, for now, and for the past few months in fact, my own answer is the balance isn't quite right and it doesn't seem like it'll adjust to being where it aught to be in the near-immediate future, either.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Sony buying a headphone company isn’t something I was expecting. They must have a good IP portfolio.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If you think audeze is a no-name company then it is you who are ignorant
That may be true, but the point still somewhat stands. Why are they needed? Sony already produce many variants of PS and non PS headphones/buds etc.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That may be true, but the point still somewhat stands. Why are they needed? Sony already produce many variants of PS and non PS headphones/buds etc.
They make the technology that is being included in the new headphones sony is putting out. They are known for the extreme accuracy of the sound output and the clarity of the audio. Audeze are one of a few brands that are used by professionals to do sound mixing.

My personal speculation is Sony might see some potential in their tech in extending how well the Tempest 3D audio works.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
View attachment 2117

Hello fucking 2011.

Sony had so much going for them early. Gaikai, Onlive, PS Minis, PS1/2 Classics, PS SharePlay, PS Remote Play, Cross play/save/buy, PSNow streaming on multiple devices. PS Vita, even though it was physically hamstrung by lack of buttons and had other decisions made to hamstring it.

Why in the blue fuck did they kill all those, and now trying again a day late and a dollar short? Just like with failed 3P relationships: example something going on with Ballistic Moon now, but it's not at the level it would have been if they sorted SuperMassive Games years back.

It's like they took a 10 year nap and negated their strongest points, outside of the GAMES.... and even the games they're spaffing away towards Steam/Deck.

And they retained their shareplay/remote play, streaming from PS+, cross buy/save/play initiatives?

No one wants half-products ffs! Sony leadership are fucking clueless!
You forgot that Sony also makes cameras and even a car.

Gaikai and Online were integrated into PS Now, which is now inside PS+. They didn't kill it. PS1/2 Classics are in the PS4/PS5 PSN store and PS+, and the ones they also had in PS3/PSP/Vita if you bought there and now are also available in PS4/PS5 you can be download them for free and play them. They didn't kill them, but it's true that in each new generation/platform didn't start with the full previous catalog and that when instead of just emulation they made enhaced versions with extra trophies didn't made the new ones free.

Share Play, Remote Play, Cross play/Save/buy are still there, didn't kill them. PS Now still streams to multiple devices, they only discontinued some old unused ones. Are also known to be working on bringing them to modern phones.

What failed 3P relationship? Which Supermassive Games title isn't available on PlayStation? Their most recent title is a PSVR2 exclusive. Also, pretty likely if they decided to work with Ballistic Moon is because that studio has key talent who left Supermassive.

In the last 10 years Sony has been more successful than ever, excluding the Vita flop. This is the reason of why they don't make a portable, because they saw there isn't a market for a high end portable that requires dedicated expensive games, and that they can't support it for games. In fact according to you they aren't able to properly support PS5.

Can anyone imagine if there was an actual 3 point attack?

- Modern Xperia Play / PS Phone.
- PS Vita 3.5 with all buttons, Remote Playing of PS5 which it can't do.
Or PS4 Portable, take your pick.
It would be great, and also being all of them free. And to have Margot Robbie as girlfriend. But isn't realistic.

Xperia Play was a failure and they almost have no active mobile games right now. It doesn't make to try it again. They are working on building a stronger Sony Mobile infrastructure, whenever in the futre they may have a good enough lineup in mobile, and apparently their own mobile store too plus PS+ cloud gaming on mobile then it will make sense to release their own PlayStation phone. Not now.

I loved PSVita but it was a failure, almost nobody would make new games for it. To release it again with all buttons and PS5 remote play wouldn't help because there wouldn't be games to use these buttons, they should have been included in the original one. Companies try to make profitable business, so won't insist on failures but instead prefer to focus on where they think is going to be a good business.

If you want PS5 remote play, all buttons and a beter ergonomy there's PS Portal for you. They have been very successful making PS5 accesories and made this one for that.

As of now PS4 portable with compatible hardware that wouldn't need ports isn't realistic tech wise, or at least not with decent size, battery size and costs.

- PS Home Console with it's games still exclusive to PS ecosystem.
They already have two, they are called PS4 and PS5.

How did i know this thread would be insufferable? 😅
It's a Sony thread, which means will end full of flatearther fake concern and lies/dumb takes claiming that everything Sony does is a failure, that their bosses are incompentent, that PS haz no gamez, that they have bad marketing etc.

I know what the quote is, I've read it. And we know in practice how SIE are tackling that prioritization of console as a part of their gaming strategy: specific timed 3P exclusivity deals with Square-Enix, some Chinese publishers, and smaller 3P devs. Making tons of accessories and peripherals for the current install base to grow ARPU. Taking 1P console games and porting them to PC in increasingly shorter time intervals.
It's embarassing to see someone acting as if games like GoWR, HFW, GT7, Spider-Man 2 etc never existed, plus PSVR2 versions of GT7, RE4R, RE Village and games like Horizon CoM, plus acquisitions like Bungie, Bluepoint or Housemarque to name a few, the improvements they did to PS+ and a long etc.

So again the question is, how much of this is 'valuing' the console, versus 'taking it for granted' or 'exploiting' it? And is the ratio healthy for mid/long-term? The answer will change depending on who you ask. However, for now, and for the past few months in fact, my own answer is the balance isn't quite right and it doesn't seem like it'll adjust to being where it aught to be in the near-immediate future, either.
According to you zero value: PS5 is doomed, it haz no gamez, and the most successful ever managers of a console maker in gaming history are incompetent and have no idea about marketing and communication.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I am baffled at the lack of synergy between Sony and Play Station. (talking about TVs specifically).

Its almost like Play Station has to do their own shit while having an entire section of the company already doing it.