Sony Might Have Just Internally Delayed Several PlayStation Exclusives

24 Jun 2022
Mostly likely the online games. Not single player.

Where ARE the single-player/non-GaaS games? If the shift to GaaS for these studios has had as much impact as believed, and are the games scheduled to drop first, then the non-GaaS titles from these studios are even further out than initially suspected.

I hate to say it but right now Microsoft's future slate does seem the more enticing/interesting out of them and Sony, and yeah the acquisitions do have a small part to do with that. But it's also the fact we at least have a decent idea of their lineup post-2023 and outside of GaaS/live-service titles, and that's without turning to 3P exclusives (granted, mainly because MS have very few worth talking about). They also still seem interested in doing some 1P AA stuff which, yeah, we know a big reason for that is to have "simpler" games that can run on the Series S without looking like an embarrassment. But at least they're actually making them, and obviously, those games will have shorter dev times and lower budgets, so you can take more chances with creative elements in them. If Xbox didn't have some of the most unappealing messaging & marketing I've ever seen from a platform holder (with some of the most condescending people running it), I would be more openly supportive of their efforts.

1P-wise the only non-GaaS title we know coming from Sony after Spiderman 2, is Wolverine, which MIGHT be 2024 but it could also be later. I guess that would depend on some MCU-related plans (at this point X-Men would be better off under Sony Pictures than Disney/Marvel but I digress). Aside that though? We know absolutely nothing; just very vague rumors and generic "1 Sci-Fi Action/Adventure with RPG Elements"-like descriptions, which could suggest almost anything. We know more about Sony's live-service/GaaS slate than the non-GaaS titles and that's kinda ass. We know more about their planned PC ports than new non-GaaS 1P for PS5 and that's especially ass. We know more about upcoming hardware launches than games; their 2024 so far is looking to be carried by, once again, Square-Enix/Final Fantasy, and other 3P titles like Stellar Blade (which was supposed to come out this year) and Rise of the Ronin (which could be delayed out of 2024).

The lack of 1P (either wholly or partially) developed AA non-GaaS titles is really starting to show for PlayStation IMHO, because there isn't much coming exclusives-wise between the big AAA releases. I think if some of the PSVR2 efforts were designed to be compatible with both it and the PS5, this would be different. You could say Call of the Mountain, for example, is a higher-budget AA game, that could've been made playable with or without a PSVR2. But then I suppose Sony feels that creates a problem of thinking, that diminishes the need of a PSVR2.

Yeah they may "luck out" with ironic timed exclusives like Baldur's Gate 3 (also on PC, and earlier) but that's nothing in terms of a planned strategy; it's happenstance. They still get all the 3P games, marketing rights on some of them, but that's not the same thing as having an actual exclusive. It's not looking particularly rosy post-Spiderman 2 with all these things considered.

But the games that are being delayed are from studios that they have recently acquired. Studios with sole purpose of creating live service games.

Is this true? I mean, I would hope it is. I've said before that Sony have too many GaaS titles wanting to push out, and potentially with too much overlap. Why make a game knowing it's going to fail, just to hope that another games you're making is successful enough to make up for it? Why not just...develop one less game but make sure the one you develop has a better chance at succeeding?

Better yet, why not take the GaaS approach one-at-a-time? See how well the first one goes, then either replace it with another or, if it does well enough, support it while branching off to another GaaS or two. It just sounds like a bad idea to try pumping out 10-12 live service/GaaS titles in the span of a couple of years.

I highly doubt it, Concord was announced as 2024 game, meaning late 2024 so already part of the next FY. FairGame$ was announced without mentioning year meaning it's probably a 2025 or more realistically 2026 game, something that would make sense because the studio was founded in 2021 and to found a studio and make a AAA game takes time.

I think the delayed ones are TLOU and the Deviation game. Maybe also a Firesprite game (maybe Twisted Metal if it exist?) or one of the gazillion 2nd party games they have under development (maybe the Ballistic Moon one?). Or who knows, maybe it's even the new IP that Cory wanted to pitch back in 2018.

AKA all non-GaaS titles.

Which was the worry.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Where ARE the single-player/non-GaaS games? If the shift to GaaS for these studios has had as much impact as believed, and are the games scheduled to drop first, then the non-GaaS titles from these studios are even further out than initially suspected.

I hate to say it but right now Microsoft's future slate does seem the more enticing/interesting out of them and Sony, and yeah the acquisitions do have a small part to do with that. But it's also the fact we at least have a decent idea of their lineup post-2023 and outside of GaaS/live-service titles, and that's without turning to 3P exclusives (granted, mainly because MS have very few worth talking about). They also still seem interested in doing some 1P AA stuff which, yeah, we know a big reason for that is to have "simpler" games that can run on the Series S without looking like an embarrassment. But at least they're actually making them, and obviously, those games will have shorter dev times and lower budgets, so you can take more chances with creative elements in them. If Xbox didn't have some of the most unappealing messaging & marketing I've ever seen from a platform holder (with some of the most condescending people running it), I would be more openly supportive of their efforts.

1P-wise the only non-GaaS title we know coming from Sony after Spiderman 2, is Wolverine, which MIGHT be 2024 but it could also be later. I guess that would depend on some MCU-related plans (at this point X-Men would be better off under Sony Pictures than Disney/Marvel but I digress). Aside that though? We know absolutely nothing; just very vague rumors and generic "1 Sci-Fi Action/Adventure with RPG Elements"-like descriptions, which could suggest almost anything. We know more about Sony's live-service/GaaS slate than the non-GaaS titles and that's kinda ass. We know more about their planned PC ports than new non-GaaS 1P for PS5 and that's especially ass. We know more about upcoming hardware launches than games; their 2024 so far is looking to be carried by, once again, Square-Enix/Final Fantasy, and other 3P titles like Stellar Blade (which was supposed to come out this year) and Rise of the Ronin (which could be delayed out of 2024).

The lack of 1P (either wholly or partially) developed AA non-GaaS titles is really starting to show for PlayStation IMHO, because there isn't much coming exclusives-wise between the big AAA releases. I think if some of the PSVR2 efforts were designed to be compatible with both it and the PS5, this would be different. You could say Call of the Mountain, for example, is a higher-budget AA game, that could've been made playable with or without a PSVR2. But then I suppose Sony feels that creates a problem of thinking, that diminishes the need of a PSVR2.

Yeah they may "luck out" with ironic timed exclusives like Baldur's Gate 3 (also on PC, and earlier) but that's nothing in terms of a planned strategy; it's happenstance. They still get all the 3P games, marketing rights on some of them, but that's not the same thing as having an actual exclusive. It's not looking particularly rosy post-Spiderman 2 with all these things considered.

Is this true? I mean, I would hope it is. I've said before that Sony have too many GaaS titles wanting to push out, and potentially with too much overlap. Why make a game knowing it's going to fail, just to hope that another games you're making is successful enough to make up for it? Why not just...develop one less game but make sure the one you develop has a better chance at succeeding?

Better yet, why not take the GaaS approach one-at-a-time? See how well the first one goes, then either replace it with another or, if it does well enough, support it while branching off to another GaaS or two. It just sounds like a bad idea to try pumping out 10-12 live service/GaaS titles in the span of a couple of years.

AKA all non-GaaS titles.

Which was the worry.

This comment resonates a lot, and I just want to add the following: Sony released or will release more PC ports this year than actual PS5 games. Don't believe me?

PS5
  • Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores (DLC)
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
PC
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Helldivers 2

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
This comment resonates a lot, and I just want to add the following: Sony released or will release more PC ports this year than actual PS5 games. Don't believe me?

PS5
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
PC
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • Helldivers 2

I think they will release more ports. Ghosts or Demons Souls are the most likely. If those PC ports are developed by nixxes, that should not interfere much with their console pipeline.

24 Jun 2022
I think they will release more ports. Ghosts or Demons Souls are the most likely. If those PC ports are developed by nixxes, that should not interfere much with their console pipeline.

That's not the point. The point is, it's starting to create the perception that the console is becoming more of an afterthought, in terms of which audience is being prioritized.

Xbox already has this problem massively, it's a reason Good Guy Phil™ went on X-Cast to complain about Xbox having difficulty finding an identity. Well, when you put all of your games on PC Day 1, that devalues the need of the console and would easily wipe away a lot of its identity. Sony's gaming identity is the PlayStation console, but like @Dodkrake showed, this year they'll have more releases on PC than their own console (not counting PSVR2 releases, as that's an additional platform).

We're talking purely 1P offerings here, btw. And if we're talking in terms of non-GaaS, in terms of actual new games, Sony's only release this year is Spiderman 2. Why are the console owners, who have spent significantly more into the ecosystem, getting less of the type of games they mainly identify with PlayStation through 1P? Why are they getting less information on those types of games? Why are PC owners being prioritized more? Why are GaaS titles being prioritized more, both in terms of funding and actual information being given out? Why are we hearing so much more about internal delays, cancelled projects & development difficulties vs. seeing some proof of these games?

I asked all these same questions about Microsoft, BTW, and they still hold true for them because when they show off stuff like Fable, it turns out that was just smoke-and-mirrors. But now Sony are falling into some patterns where I feel these same questions are warranted regarding them. Even in terms of 3P exclusives, what's really coming within the next 1-2 years? Aside from a Square-Enix Final Fantasy game? Stellar Blade, which was supposed to come this year. Rise of the Ronin, which could be delayed to 2025. Death Stranding 2, which for all we know could be a PS5 & PC Day 1 type of release. The majority of the China Hero games are much farther out, and some kind of seem like palette swaps of each other in a sense (or heavily Soulsborne-likes which will also be on PC Day 1, and none of which are Bloodborne 2 or involve the actual Souls devs at From Software).

Aside of that, everything else we know about 1P-wise boils down to Wolverine (likely 2025) and a bunch of GaaS titles. Most of the latter, will be on PC Day 1. The potential prospect of non-GaaS titles getting PC ports in shorter time windows also, I feel, waters down the appeal of getting a console for the enthusiast. Will any of that impact PS5 long-term? Probably not. But, I think it could have damning ramifications for PS6 adoption, because some of these same enthusiasts might just go "They'll be on PC anyway. Might as well just buy those games on Steam.".

Reactions: Airbus and Puff

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Like Fortnite, apex legends, CSGO, destiny, rocket league, path of exile, dota, lol, valorant, genshin/honkai ...

If Sony is arrogant enough to ask for full price in an ultra competitive market where they don't have any experience, they are out of their minds. You want as less barriers of entry as possible for your multiplayer game, from price to specs required to run it.
Destiny and Rocket League were priced titles when initially released. Not sure about Destiny 2

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im betting this is nothing as usual..Games will be coming in 2024. Wolverine, TLOU Factions, Rise of Ronin. And hopefully the rest of the WWS will have more titles for 2024

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

PS5
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
PC
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • Helldivers 2
MLB doesn't count?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The game that nobody remembers unless convenient? Sure, add it in. Don't forget then to say that it's also a PS Studios game being released on Xbox... For free.
I aren't challenging you. I totally agree. It is pity party at PS home studios and it is a shame that PC getting so much.

They take fans for granted that they will eat everything and they think they don't need to work for it. Fucking suits.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Whats your source for saying this?
I should have been more clear. It is basically a guess on my part.
Playstation supposed to have 3 live service games for FY 22. MLB (released) and Gran Turismo (released) and one other that got delayed. In Fy23 there is supposed to be 3 more. After their earning report, I am assuming all 3 got delayed to Fy24 including the one that was supposed to release in Fy22 .

11111.PNG

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

PS5
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Helldivers 2
PC
  • Returnal
  • The Last of Us Part I
  • Helldivers 2
Is Helldivers 2 day one on PC too?

PlayStation just isn't what used to be, turned into a less shitty Xbox.

MLB doesn't count?
Count as a day one game on Gamepass.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I should have been more clear. It is basically a guess on my part.
Playstation supposed to have 3 live service games for FY 22. MLB (released) and Gran Turismo (released) and one other that got delayed. In Fy23 there is supposed to be 3 more. After their earning report, I am assuming all 3 got delayed to Fy24 including the one that was supposed to release in Fy22 .

View attachment 2016

What's the source for that image and those projections?

Is Helldivers 2 day one on PC too?

Anything but confirmed.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Some of you guys are seriously overreacting.

The problem is that some of you need to realize that for Sony to grow and expand in the future... they need to branch out and explore new markets. That means new hardware and new services. That also inevitably means that you're going to feel like there's less attention specifically on your little box and that you're being neglected... like a young child throwing tantrums because they have to share the attention with their new baby brother...

It's going to be ok.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I wonder what's going on.
Are they going to go more into PC or less so. It's not really helping them.
Where is Killzone remaster trilogy?
Where is Resistance remaster trilogy?
Where is Bloodborne
Where is The Last guardian official 60fps patch. These are siimple .ini fixes. Cmon, you gotta have 1 dev make 15 minutes of effort.

I also see how sony is following gamepass and slowly killing physical gaming. not good

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
AKA all non-GaaS titles.

Which was the worry.
I don't undrestand you, what do you mean with this post? Please develop. Do you mean that they delayed all their upcoming non-GaaS titles coming to 2023-2024?

The way they walk about Spider-Man 2 seems it won't be delayed. Wolverine I assume that since the start was planned for 2024 and Insomniac are very reliable so I think it continues having that release date.

I think they give Kojima a blank check so I think Death Stranding 2 will be released when ready and pretty likely doesn't have a release date set yet specially considering they released DS1 less than 4 years ago, its PC port less than 3 years ago and the Director's cut less than 2 years ago plus Kojima also had other projects like the movie, the MS game, the documentary etc. So I think DS2 isn't a delayed game.

Also, I think China Hero games are low budget games not important for them if released before or later.

Maybe a delayed game can be Stellar Blade -officially a 2023 game-, which may require more time.

Or some unannounced game, which could be the Cory new IP who if he's working on the new IP he wanted to pitch to Sony he will have been on it for 5 years, meaning possibly was originally scheduled for this FY and they decided to give it an extra year or two.

In any case, doesn't matter if in addition to TLOU or the Deviation game they delayed a game or two more, and if GaaS or not. Sony delayed some games because they needed time to be improved and gave them extra time they needed. This is what they should do, and it's better than to release them uncomplete, unpolished and broken.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Where ARE the single-player/non-GaaS games?
A few days ago I posted a very long list of upcoming 1st and 2nd party games they have announced or shown, or at least mentioned separating GaaS from non-GaaS. They also released many. When adding 3 party exclusives, both AAA and indie the list goes way bigger. They have a lot of games coming, including many non-GaaS titles.

Obviously they will have more to be announced or shown in the future because they are still in a early shape where they still don't want to show them, or because they want to market other games planned to be released before them and save announcements or trailers for other points of the year/other years.