Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Looking at this thread starfield 87 have break greenrats mind and souls, what a sad and mediocre damage control defense force, your game of the forever, your game of the generation, the thing that gonna move systems and put xbox again on the elite have become a decent game amongst thousands, even your maligned god of war ragnarok is looking from his 95 metacritic throne with a thunderous laugh

Btw
And wait for the UK scores, edge will be a bloodbath

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This entire thread is based on that. No sense in trying to turn a bunch of haters that would never admit MS having a great exclusive for once this generation.

No need to take it personal bro, my brother is playing it on PC too and enjoying it. He did say that the menu's were a bit overwhelming but overall he says it's good.

I don't think anyone here has anything in particular against the game, just the way Microsoft bought Zenimax, hyped the game into the stratosphere and this is a by product of the circle of karma.

Most have nothing against PC gamers here. ❤️

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Looking at this thread starfield 87 have break greenrats mind and souls, what a sad and mediocre damage control defense force, your game of the forever, your game of the generation, the thing that gonna move systems and put xbox again on the elite have become a decent game amongst thousands, even your maligned god of war ragnarok is looking from his 95 metacritic throne with a thunderous laugh

Btw
And wait for the UK scores, edge will be a bloodbath
Ragnarok got a 94. Lol

24 Jun 2022
The Bethesda formula has petered out.
TW3, HFW, TOTK and BG3 all have better open worlds than this.

Yep, and this is something more people need to understand. Yesterday I saw no less than 3 pretty big (not XQC-big, but they're well-known) streamers play the game and either come away not liking it or having a lot of criticisms about the game loop, inconsistent logic, plain dialog, wonky UI elements etc. And these are all people who primarily play on PC (and for one of them, their other main platform is Nintendo).

Though there was another streamer I follow who seemed to like the game; not as well-known as the other three and they're more into the speedrunning scene for games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill (big horror game fan), and they were playing the game on Hard mode from the jump. Not really for the story whatsoever, just to master the mechanics and probably looking into speedrun strats for future playthroughs.

I genuinely don't think Starfield is going to have the resounding effect some people are hoping it does. It's a good game...but it's not a great game. It doesn't do anything that's matching or exceeding anything in the games you just mentioned, in a way that mainstream audiences can easily latch onto and notice. I'd also add that in terms of space simulation, games like No Man's Sky and Star Citizen have Starfield beat in most aspects, too. I'm also thinking now that the sales on PC won't be as big as usual, because even some people who otherwise loved Skyrim (such as one of the streamers I mentioned above) are just not really feeling the game, and a lot of the chat in those streams was similar.

I'm predicting weekend Steam peak for the game's official release will tap out between 450K - 550K. I think it'll chart #2 on NPD/Circana for September; Baldur's Gate 3 will likely outsell it considering it launches on PS5 on the 6th and it continues to see strong sales on PC/Steam, but it'll be by a razor. I don't see Starfield staying in the Top 5 after September though; WOM won't be strong enough to offset WOM for games like BG3, or the release of Super Mario Wonder and Spiderman 2 (which will be the #1 and #2-placing games for October's NPD/Cicarna, respectively).

There just isn't anything about Starfield that "hooks" in the mass consumer. There's no instantly appeal central protagonist, or outstanding mythology, or super-novel concept. There's no big marketing campaign with a well-known face (they should've gotten George Clooney to play the astronaut in the live-action commercial, dunno why they didn't go for him; maybe the strikes affected that unfortunately). There's no previous entries to build off of in the IP, but there doesn't seem to be enough in advertising to mainstream how the game comes from the same devs who made Skyrim. Maybe Starfield should've tried being more like Skyrim in space (in the far-off future), in a spinoff way.

I say this because the game might be too hard sci-fi in concept to be mass-market appealing (without having recognizable actors/actresses and a tight story), but not commit far enough in game mechanics to satisfy many of the modern open-world game fans in the market (who have played more than a few amazing open-world action-adventure RPGs (or open-world action/adventure games with RPG mechanics) over the years between Skyrim and Starfield) wanting the next big thing or something that feels at the level of certain other games that have already come out. On that second note, the limitations of the Creation Engine are really showing their age and are probably to blame (alongside Series S limitations) for some of the shoestring game mechanic implementations, and limitations with exploration, physics, animations, and visuals.

Starfield seems like a 'solid' open-world WRPG but nothing amazing. As a whole there doesn't seem to be anything in the game done better than the majority of what's present in The Witcher 3, Tears of the Kingdom, Horizon Forbidden West, Baldur's Gate 3, or Elden Ring, which are arguably the Top 5 modern (or modern-ish) open-world games on the market (I could throw GTA5 in there but that's a game technically developed for PS3/360-era hardware and it's older than everything else here as a result). All five of those games are leaders in the open-world space in one or several areas, one way or another. It doesn't seem the same can be said for Starfield, especially when somewhat similar games like No Man's Sky and Star Citizen one-up it in various areas.

But that doesn't mean it's not a fun game. Again, it seems quite solid, it obviously has its audience, and it's still one of the biggest releases of the year. It'll still win a couple of GOTY awards from some outlets, as well. It seems like a good starting ground for Microsoft to re-establish some consistency in their 1P AAA output that isn't just another Forza, and maybe (hopefully) signals that games like Hellblade 2 and Avowed will continue that consistency if not improve it (and maybe garner notable mainstream appeal alongside it, which is something both games seem questionable on ATM).

It's just not outright GOTY material, nor GOTG-level material, clearly. It doesn't change much for Xbox on its own (it never could), but it could be a start. We'll see how reception goes over the next few weeks, and what the next wave of big 1P releases bring.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
No need to take it personal bro, my brother is playing it on PC too and enjoying it.

@Bryank75 EASTWOOD detected

I always knew it, our leader is a GOD DAMN RAT.

Whats Up Goodbye GIF

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Bruhhhh it's the 24th century AD and the NPC companions still haven't developed a brain

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I don't know what platform or photoshop program she used to develop this video but on my PC the game looks 1000x better. I've already given screenshots (which got ignored obviously) and they look nothing like that video....like -- at all.

Man, everything that isn't scenery or textures in the game is mid at best. NPC fidelity never was Bethesda strongest suit, i was fully prepared to ignore ugly NPCs if they gave me a well fledge astronaut experience.

The game is stable on consoles but im seeing a lot of people having issues on PC, the game doesn't work on Intel Graphics Card, that tells a lot.

There's a difference between just blindly bashing it and calling spade a spade. Starfield's a decent game with disappointing mechanics/gameplay elements and exploration. It's nowhere near what was advertised. Some of the biggest SM shills and Bethesda fans are critical of exploration. Hell, plenty of videos with bugs are out there. I have it downloaded on the Series X and will play on day one. But all the issues I've seen are very disappointing, especially the space exploration.

Crow here's a well known fanboy that probably subscribes to Xboxinsertsomethinghere.com site ideas that gave it a 10 because it's an exclusive.

They knew what they were doing when asking $99 for the early access. This might be another game when it's fully patched with expansions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Would_you_kindly
24 Jun 2022
The funny thing its how sad Mother fuckers like that vigilante joker from era are digging things like how the guy from ign(dan stapleton) was anti abk merger, but ignore how pro merger or biased are all the xbox sites and journos who give this thing 10 and 9

Vigilante Joker is one of the worst Xbox fanboys on that forum. Wrote them off in the ABK thread, alongside MANY others (gremlinz, Shoot, MercuryLS, LurkerAroundTheForum, Tigerfish, PunkSxE, Sullivan etc.) for what was effectively corporate cheerleading for acquisitions...but only when Microsoft does it :/

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Vigilante Joker is one of the worst Xbox fanboys on that forum. Wrote them off in the ABK thread, alongside MANY others (gremlinz, Shoot, MercuryLS, LurkerAroundTheForum, Tigerfish, PunkSxE, Sullivan etc.) for what was effectively corporate cheerleading for acquisitions...but only when Microsoft does it :/
He is been laughed on the starfield review thread for the coward he is

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Lol, Xbox fanboys are waging all out war on IGN and Dan Stapleton for giving Starfield a 7. They argue that Dan is too biased towards Playstation and use his quote criticizing MS buying up publishers as evidence, all while ignoring Destin Legarie, also part of IGN, and all of his pro-MS antics and blatant fanboyism.
Why aren’t they ms at game spot or pc mag?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The funny thing its how sad Mother fuckers like that vigilante joker from era are digging things like how the guy from ign(dan stapleton) was anti abk merger, but ignore how pro merger or biased are all the xbox sites and journos who give this thing 10 and 9
Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion from them on what MS are doing.