Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That tweet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: my sides man. Just look over the fence bro PS5 has had games that look better than that since launch.
You don't need to look over the fence. Plenty of 3rd party games look way way better.

RDR2. Plague Tale Requiem. Cyberpunk. Even Metro Exodus looks better with better lighting. The lighting in Starfield is awful. Water fx awful. Particle fx awful (sandstorms are hilariously bad, even Microsoft first party sandstorms in Forza Horizon 5 look 2 gens ahead and they aren't perfect in that game)

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I have been playing all weekend and the game genuinely sucks. The procedural generation is really boring, every single planet I've gone to has been endless flat dirt and rocks, with exterior dungeons (abandoned mining camp, abandoned robotics lab, abandoned sensor station, etc) sitting in the middle. Some caves (boring and short) and nothing else. By 10h, I had several random events repeat themselves.

The fast travel systems are also messed up. E.g. if you want to fast travel on the Star system map, you might be told "unexplored route, can't jump" because your ship can't jump to where you click. So, per Star system map, you need to travel from one known system to another to get to where you want. Or you could simply click on the planet you want to go and you'll immediately teleport there despite the restriction on the other screen. I mentioned this on the Starfield reddit to someone stating this wasn't the case, I was immediately downvoted and they have 500 upvotes BEFORE they edited their post to admit I was correct. All the shills and fans of this game are quite literally blind to the flaws in the game design, but it's good guys, I got a radiant quest to kill space pirates 10/10!

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ahh theirs the console warrior in you! "xbot." I told you you're a fanboy lol. Doesn't change the fact you can fly in space. "Sony Pony."

Sure, jan

vC6fkmM.png

And if you want to see my steam as well, which is where I have most of my games

AoL5c1r.png

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The fast travel systems are also messed up. E.g. if you want to fast travel on the Star system map, you might be told "unexplored route, can't jump" because your ship can't jump to where you click. So, per Star system map, you need to travel from one known system to another to get to where you want. Or you could simply click on the planet you want to go and you'll immediately teleport there despite the restriction on the other screen. I mentioned this on the Starfield reddit to someone stating this wasn't the case, I was immediately downvoted and they have 500 upvotes BEFORE they edited their post to admit I was correct. All the shills and fans of this game are quite literally blind to the flaws in the game design, but it's good guys, I got a radiant quest to kill space pirates 10/10!

Can you clarify that fast travel mechanic? I'm trying to get to a couple of systems but it keeps telling that I can't fast travel there, and I genuinely can't figure out since it's not fuel related.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I have been playing all weekend and the game genuinely sucks. The procedural generation is really boring, every single planet I've gone to has been endless flat dirt and rocks, with exterior dungeons (abandoned mining camp, abandoned robotics lab, abandoned sensor station, etc) sitting in the middle. Some caves (boring and short) and nothing else. By 10h, I had several random events repeat themselves.

They've got pirates in the game that's why it got pirated because they were promoting it 🤣 /S

Reactions: Nimrota

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Her job is to show her face and body while talking or playing games. Doing this shit will have all them little virgins and incels that worship starfield masturbating for 7h while looking at her. She makes money out of this, and she knows a lot of her audience cares little about games but rather about how she looks.

I was watching her stream when she did it.

It all makes sense now,

Any profits this site generates is going towards her upkeep.

Probably pays for her bathwater too ffs.
Acting Drinking Water GIF by Mischief

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Can you clarify that fast travel mechanic? I'm trying to get to a couple of systems but it keeps telling that I can't fast travel there, and I genuinely can't figure out since it's not fuel related.
So on the Star System map (where it shows Sol, Alpha Centauri, etc) the red dots are systems you haven't travelled to, and the white are ones you have. You need to upgrade your grav drive and Astrophysics skills to reach certain systems (such as Bohm in the far right corner) as they're outside your travel range based on your ship. But lets say you travel to Bohm, and you're on the edge of the map, and you want to travel back to Jemison in Alpha Centauri. If you are on the Star System map and click on the Alpha Centauri system, it will pop up on the right with a red box giving you a warning saying something like "this route is unexplored" and won't let you fast travel. However, if you click INTO Alpha Centauri to where it gives you a view of the planets, and go click on New Atlantis and click the "Land" button, it'll immediately fast travel you to New Atlantis DESPITE the previous screen telling you that you didn't have a route there.

So it means as long as you have gone to a star system, you can always fast travel back to the planets in that star system. I haven't tested it on planets in the star system that you haven't travelled to before but I cannot imagine it is any different. The reason that this sucks is twofold: first, you get conflicting information from the menu. One menu tells you there isn't a route home, suggesting you manually hop between systems to get back, the second menu ignores that and immediately lets you travel. Now it's fine for there to be fast travel in a game if you want that as a system, but why do you get warnings on one screen while on the other it lets you travel with no issues? It's confusing. This leads into the second main issue which is the competing gameplay styles eat at each other. You have fast travel like any Bethesda game, but it eats at the space exploration component. You have space exploration, and it eats at the Bethesda game component. You're upgrading your ship and travelling really far away as part of a progression system, and then it doesn't matter since you can fast travel. Or you're trying to complete a quest, and your hopping lightyears away in an instant to run a fetch quest. It's irrational, and as I keep going back to, as Todd Howard said "schizophrenic." If you go to the far edge of the map, the most desolate, high level planet possible, don't worry because you can immediately fast travel home at the click of a button! It undermines what it would be like to travel all that way. Worse yet is you can get random events that undercut the experience. E.g. I was on Bohm, far edge of galaxy and the furthest planet in the Bohm system, and a ship of colonists lands and starts walking around. I upgraded my skills and ship (only time you need to do this is to initially get to further systems, then no longer matters) to get here, and some random bunch of NPCs lands to make this remote ice planet feel active. Worse yet, wasn't the first time I had that random event. Like I said the two game elements, a Bethesda experience and a space exploration game, don't work in harmony and actively cannibalise one another.

But to answer you direct problem about it not being fuel related, as I said, either upgrade your Astrophysics skill or your grav drive. Likely you'll need a combination of the two.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Funny thing about the whole getting cracked thing is that anyone that buys the standard edition & gamepass users actually have to wait 5 days longer to play it than people that download the cracked version same thing happened with Forza horizon 5 pay extra to play a few days earlier when pirates can play at the same time for free 🤣

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Ahh theirs the console warrior in you! "xbot." I told you you're a fanboy lol. Doesn't change the fact you can fly in space. "Sony Pony."

No one ever said that. Of course you can fly, you have some shitty dogfights in Starfield. :/

No need to spin. You CAN'T take off from one planet, fly to that planet and land on that planet. That's the whol damn point

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
No one ever said that. Of course you can fly, you have some shitty dogfights in Starfield. :/

No need to spin. You CAN'T take off from one planet, fly to that planet and land on that planet. That's the whol damn point
The dogfights are poorly balanced. At level 13 I managed to defeat a level 38 ambush WITHOUT ever upgrading my ship. This is why BGS said space combat isn't mandatory, because it's weakly implemented and if they forced you to engage you would realise it sucks.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Some more impressions after playing a couple more hours
  • Graphics are wildly inconsistent. I'm playing in ultra at 0.85 1080p with FSR 2, VRS, and 0.5 film grain. I can max out the 1080p, but I want more frames. Doesn't change much graphically.
  • New Atlantis just looks dead. There's some crowds, but all of them behave like robots. It's got a very decent aesthetic and verticality, but it looks ugly, as if the styles of everything don't quite match
  • Ship control is absolute garbage
  • The UX overall is terrible. The inventory is one of the worst I've ever used
  • Shooting is ok, serviceable, but archaic. Not being able to reload while running is one of the stupidest decisions I've seen made in a game where shooting is a thing.
  • Most / all side quests I've received so far are fetch quests
Overall, so far I'd rate it a 7/10. Its fun, the lore so far is interesting, but it's a last gen game with a (not so great) coat of paint
Agree with all of these. One thing I find really funny is the UX design. Remember when that guy on Twitter said the start screen seemed really barebones and Pete Hines said it was what the designers wanted? Well, I guess all the other bad UX design "choices" were creative choices also because it isn't just a barebones menu screen, the entire game is lacking functionality in this department (and I've heard rumours the lack of an FOV slider is likely due to UX team not implementing it after FOV settings were changed by coders).

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Agree with all of these. One thing I find really funny is the UX design. Remember when that guy on Twitter said the start screen seemed really barebones and Pete Hines said it was what the designers wanted? Well, I guess all the other bad UX design "choices" were creative choices also because it isn't just a barebones menu screen, the entire game is lacking functionality in this department (and I've heard rumours the lack of an FOV slider is likely due to UX team not implementing it after FOV settings were changed by coders).
I remember playing halo infinites multiplayer beta & thinking how shitty that UX was , splitgate really blew that out of the water on a tiny budget with a few Devs I wish there was a native ps5 version

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

It's not that the menus are necessarily bare bones, I can live with that. It's that the whole menu and inventory system is stupid. Nothing makes sense, navigation is clunky, there's options that are never explained...

Tomorrow I'll try and run a couple of side quests and one more main story quest, see what happens. I'm still enjoying enough of the game that it's not a chore to play

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I’m really enjoying people finally realizing the emperor is walking down the street with is dangly bits swinging in the breeze.

Bethesda is, and always was, a shitty, lazy development team, and it’s FINALLY gotten to a point where nobody can really deny it anymore.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I’m really enjoying people finally realizing the emperor is walking down the street with is dangly bits swinging in the breeze.

Bethesda is, and always was, a shitty, lazy development team, and it’s FINALLY gotten to a point where nobody can really deny it anymore.
Unfortunately, many people are simply delusional. Example: These people simply have bad taste. " stood there and watched this guy fight for what little life he had and it was amazing! The fight lasted about 2 minutes so I decided while they're doing that I'll just sneak around a little and look for shit." Standing around watching scripted NPCs fight = the height of immersive fun and gameplay experiences.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Another Reddit comment: "16 hours in and I’ve only done a few main missions and have been enjoying a big side mission. Constantly finding myself in awe doing things like walking under my ship before I take off or viewing it from a space station while docked.
10/10 would Starfield again" These people are really impressed by the most simple things. Walking under my shio? 10/10! Woah...you can do that in Outer Wilds AND enter the ship without a loading screen? 11/10!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Another Reddit comment: "16 hours in and I’ve only done a few main missions and have been enjoying a big side mission. Constantly finding myself in awe doing things like walking under my ship before I take off or viewing it from a space station while docked.
10/10 would Starfield again" These people are really impressed by the most simple things. Walking under my shio? 10/10! Woah...you can do that in Outer Wilds AND enter the ship without a loading screen? 11/10!
Boy, some of these deluded assholes should “invest” in Star Citizen, it’s right up their alley!

Reactions: Nimrota