Suggestions for the site

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Hmm.. Rather than ban people or overworking to report system, what about like a rantboard/structured debates board that doubles up as time-out jail where people can only post to that sub board when needing to calm down, but perhaps can't be banned if expressing something more spicy in that board (still on topic to games etc)? Or on smaller scale, a Debates OT and a Rants OT?
Many years ago I used to post on a forum that had a "Flaming" sub forum. It was basically a place where users could just go in and dunk on another user willy nilly. It sounds bad on paper, but it actually worked great in practice. It kept a lot of arguments out of everywhere else. But the main reason it worked so well was because people would go in there and make a rant about someone else which would usually result in one of either 2 outcomes depending on if the grievance was legitimate or not. If someone just went in there and was just being a dick against another person for no reason it would mostly just get ignored and fizzle out, and the person making the rant looked like a fool. But if the grievance was legitimate it would usually generate some funny, constructive discussions and even a lot of times a resolution. It was basically a place where people go to sort their shit out.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Maybe we should get megathreads for games like Starfield... like every other thread is about it or what someone's mom's uncle thinks about it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Who cares people are going to talk about Starfield in every thread anyway and it will naturally go away with the news cycle. Activity is activity, people aren't going to want to have 15 different conversations in one mega thread just to keep the front page barren

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Falcs

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Megathreads are a bad idea. Particularly for something that is currently generating a lot of buzz. Starfield is generating a lot of content at the moment. There'd be no benefit in limiting it to 1 thread.

Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Megathreads are a bad idea. Particularly for something that is currently generating a lot of buzz. Starfield is generating a lot of content at the moment. There'd be no benefit in limiting it to 1 thread.
When topics fall into the archive area, would anyone be opposed to mega thread merging there, perhaps leaving open for lttp discussions etc?

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
When topics fall into the archive area, would anyone be opposed to mega thread merging there, perhaps leaving open for lttp discussions etc?

We might have someone comb through a few pages once in a while and see if some can be merged into a common topic that has relevance.... it's definitely possible. Is there anything in there of particular interest to you?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
We might have someone comb through a few pages once in a while and see if some can be merged into a common topic that has relevance.... it's definitely possible. Is there anything in there of particular interest to you?
Various threads on PS portability, or the shifting status of PC handhelds come to mind. At one stage we'd be discussing Deck vs Ayoneo, then Sony comes along with PS Portal, or ROG alley throwing their hat in the ring.

Whilst the individual simillar threads drop off into the archive board, could merge them into a mega thread there for all sort-of handheld devices/digital ecosystem discussion thread.

Keeps the newer topics more on topic, and the wider discussions from derailing too much if the archives board was also open for discussion continuing, perhaps renamed to something like Older Discussions?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If the idea passes vote, my OCD/depression would probably see me doing it lol. I'd only require post merging powers or something, I don't covert any account punishment power/input.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If the idea passes vote, my OCD/depression would probably see me doing it lol. I'd only require post merging powers or something, I don't covert any account punishment power/input.

What do you think of hosting mods for PC games?

I know most people are not PC gamers on here but it might help some gamers out there... @Frozone any thoughts?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What do you think of hosting mods for PC games?

I know most people are not PC gamers on here but it might help some gamers out there... @Frozone any thoughts?
I think it's a good idea. With other mod sites shutting down or restricting individual mods, it could let more peeps find here?

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think it's a good idea. With other mod sites shutting down or restricting individual mods, it could let more peeps find here?

Yeah, thats kinda the idea. Offering freedom to gamers.

Also, if people didn't know.... on android, you can download an app version of the forum by clicking in the top right menu of google.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
We have updated the forum with a Reviews Node and new Icons along the navigation bar for both Industry and Reviews.

I have also rotated out some emoji / reactions and added new ones that were requested.

I think we need a facepalm reaction for some of the daily panic posts that pop up around here.

I added a heart and a peach. Facepalm might be a good one if I can find a clear image.

• Peachy
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
We have updated the forum with a Reviews Node and new Icons along the navigation bar for both Industry and Reviews.

I have also rotated out some emoji / reactions and added new ones that were requested.

I added a heart and a peach. Facepalm might be a good one if I can find a clear image.
I tried to make one and it's surprisingly hard to get something recognizable at 32x32 px

• they're_right_you_know

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Yeah, it can be tricky with the size and form. People might just not even recognize some of them.
How's this?
facepalm2.png

I think this would also be a good one to have:

doubt.png

• thisistheway
Reactions: ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

Picard's facepalm coloring is probably good for shrinking-down to reaction size?

How did it go for "surprised pikachu" 1st draft (super) sonic movie reaction?

• brain