The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How does the business model of an open console work? It doesn’t because you can no longer rely on the all important eco system sales. If Xbox is to sell a high end pc as a console, it will cost a lot of $ because subsidies or cost neutrality make no sense in such a scenario. A high cost Xbox will not sell against a lower priced PlayStation. Even now with cost parity it does not sell.

Steamdeck while a pc relies on people staying within the steamos for their needs. Indeed, steam is practically a pc store monopoly, there is little desire to look beyond. This makes it viable.
There is no open console…

What MS meant is going full PC.
Like there custom PC machines nowdays already… they will be some Xbox PC machines.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
There is no open console…

What MS meant is going full PC.
Like there custom PC machines nowdays already… they will be some Xbox PC machines.
So the machine will be branded as Xbox PC? No more just “Xbox”?

The entire thing is looking for a solution to a problem that does not exists apart from Xboxes own woes of poor marketing and inadequate positioning. New hardware doesn’t fix this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So the machine will be branded as Xbox PC? No more just “Xbox”?

The entire thing is looking for a solution to a problem that does not exists apart from Xboxes own wowed of poor marketing and inadequate positioning. New hardware doesn’t fix this.
Something like that.

images

So Dell, Asus, MSI, etc will create it own PC that will use the brand Xbox maybe due coming with a Windows Xbox themed 🤷‍♂️

It is a way to Microsoft left hardware and continue with Xbox as software (games)… that way 3rd-party do custom PC that will receive the Xbox seal.

Of course you will end with a lot of form factors, sizes, hardware confit, etc… just like you have for OEM PCs.

Last edited:

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
i mean, this is what i think it will eventually come too,

All this is needed a Sony account with people complaining about having to sign up, etc., on PC; this would solve it, plus keep the integrity of their platform.

Personally, Sony launching and running their own launcher in my opinion would be dead on arrival because are they really going to convince third parties to put their games on their launcher? I seriously doubt it. Then, you have people who are simply Steam or death who'll never sign up to your launcher and look at Epic, their launcher has been a disaster and they still haven't made any profit yet which I don't think will happen until 2026 according to Epic themselves.

Requiring a PSN including in regions where as PSN doesn't actually fucking exist is the stupidest idiotic moronic decision they've ever done and that's saying something. This is so fucking stupid. Sony should make PSN OPTIONAL like a normal human being with a brain in their head would actually do and if people sign up, great but if not, who cares? You want people on PC to buy your fucking games and can't do that if regions are blocked from buying them in the first place or simply don't want to due to this restriction.

The sooner Sony eliminates this requirement and sells their games on PC via Steam and Epic day one, the better off they'll be a company because they'll make more revenue and in turn, more profits. It's NOT about the consoles anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about the IP and growing it to be massive. Can't do that with a ceiling of a 120M user install base at best and your games being ignored by 75% of that user install base.

But hey, Sony will learn eventually. Just a matter of time.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Something like that.

images

So Dell, Asus, MSI, etc will create it own PC that will use the brand Xbox maybe due coming with a Windows Xbox themed 🤷‍♂️

It is a way to Microsoft left hardware and continue with Xbox as software (games)… that way 3rd-party do custom PC that will receive the Xbox seal.

Of course you will end with a lot of form factors, sizes, hardware confit, etc… just like you have for OEM PCs.
I personally would love a small form factor pc with the power of a new console. However pricing will be the issue. And the trad console gamer will dismiss it automatically, so who’s it for? I cannot see it playing out any other way.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Personally, Sony launching and running their own launcher in my opinion would be dead on arrival because are they really going to convince third parties to put their games on their launcher? I seriously doubt it. Then, you have people who are simply Steam or death who'll never sign up to your launcher and look at Epic, their launcher has been a disaster and they still haven't made any profit yet which I don't think will happen until 2026 according to Epic themselves.

Requiring a PSN including in regions where as PSN doesn't actually fucking exist is the stupidest idiotic moronic decision they've ever done and that's saying something. This is so fucking stupid. Sony should make PSN OPTIONAL like a normal human being with a brain in their head would actually do and if people sign up, great but if not, who cares? You want people on PC to buy your fucking games and can't do that if regions are blocked from buying them in the first place or simply don't want to due to this restriction.

The sooner Sony eliminates this requirement and sells their games on PC via Steam and Epic day one, the better off they'll be a company because they'll make more revenue and in turn, more profits. It's NOT about the consoles anymore and hasn't been for a long time. It's about the IP and growing it to be massive. Can't do that with a ceiling of a 120M user install base at best and your games being ignored by 75% of that user install base.

But hey, Sony will learn eventually. Just a matter of time.
If they released the games exclusive to their launcher it 100% would not be dead on arrival.

Imagine a bloodborne remaster and a bloodborne 2 on it, you seriously saying the PC fanboys/darksouls fans would not sign up to that.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
If they released the games exclusive to their launcher it 100% would not be dead on arrival.

Imagine a bloodborne remaster and a bloodborne 2 on it, you seriously saying the PC fanboys/darksouls fans would not sign up to that.

If it's day one, perhaps but two years later, probably minimal at best. Of course, you're also assuming that Sony will eventually do a Bloodborne remaster/remake and eventual sequel. I don't see Sony doing anything with Bloodborne because it was developed by From Software and if they can't get them on board for a sequel which after Elden Ring, I definitely don't see happening, why would Sony bother? If anything, it's one of those games that have more people bitching about online but if it actually happens will forget to show up when the game releases. lol

Joking aside, I personally believe that there's some kind of contractual clause with From Software where they have to sign off or some shit. Think about it, Sony didn't even do a PS4 Pro upgrade for the game 18 months after release yet are going to do something with it now, a decade later? Nah, I'll stick with my almost decade old prediction. Bloodborne remains along with it's expansion, a one and done.

Forgot to mention one other thing, if the games are exclusive but NOT day one, again, minimal interest at best. Epic is still paying for exclusivity for games to launch on Epic and then a year later on Steam and it's barely done anything. If it's not a massive IP - Harry Potter, Marvel/DC, COD, GTA, etc., it's not going to do anything and again, it has to be day one. Imagine Sony having a launcher and for every game - see you in two years!!! LMAO. Like, WTF?

Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I personally would love a small form factor pc with the power of a new console. However pricing will be the issue. And the trad console gamer will dismiss it automatically, so who’s it for? I cannot see it playing out any other way.
Well I really doubt any manufacturer could do a small PC with PS5 or Series X hardware in 2020… the same now if there is a Pro… with the same hardware the size difference will be near nothing.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Yes, I've said above you can install Epic Launcher on Steam alongside with playing Fortnite on Steam Deck via GFN or Xbox Cloud.

GFN or Xbox Cloud are not the only solutions. Install windows and you can play Fortnite natively via WPIC launcher.

Epic had create their own anti cheat system targeting specifically Steam Deck

Steam Deck hardware is not the reason why you can't play EPIC games on it. It's really not hard to understand, I will try one last time:

EPIC games are NOT on Steam. They even removed Rocket League after buying the devs. And because of not being on Steam, they automatically aren't available on Steam Deck.
I repeat: it has nothing to do with the hardware per se.

And even then, if you install the Heroic Launcher, you can play the games of every other launcher, because NO GAME is specifically blocked on Steam Deck due to hardware.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
GFN or Xbox Cloud are not the only solutions. Install windows and you can play Fortnite natively via WPIC launcher.

Yes, like you can play PS1 and PS2 games via dev mode on Xbox Series. :/ Not in a legal way.

EPIC games are NOT on Steam. They even removed Rocket League after buying the devs. And because of not being on Steam, they automatically aren't available on Steam Deck.
I repeat: it has nothing to do with the hardware per se.

And even then, if you install the Heroic Launcher, you can play the games of every other launcher, because NO GAME is specifically blocked on Steam Deck due to hardware.

There you go. They've targeted Steam Deck specifically. But you can play it on Asus Rog. Also, if Epic wants, they can ban Rocket League to be unplayable on Rog, despite it is windows device. But surely you will able to play it in a "different way" just like you can play Fortnite on Steam Deck

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
It doesn't make sense what you are saying and I will stop replying to this matter to you, as it seems you have serious understanding issues.

I don't have understanding issues. Every device have its own ID, and therefore, device can be blocked specifically.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I don't have understanding issues. Every device have its own ID, and therefore, device can be blocked specifically.

Which you failed to show evidence it has happened yet. It's ok, you don't have to reply. Whole discussion is based on speculation and rumors. Once it happens, if it happens, we will see.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Which you failed to show evidence it has happened yet. It's ok, you don't have to reply. Whole discussion is based on speculation and rumors. Once it happens, if it happens, we will see.

Fortnite is banned specifically on Steam Deck, same as Rocket League was pulled. There is no native version of that game on Steam. You need to to a workarounds to play, and you risk a ban for it. Like 3 million days ban

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Fortnite is banned specifically on Steam Deck, same as Rocket League was pulled. There is no native version of that game on Steam. You need to to a workarounds to play, and you risk a ban for it. Like 3 million days ban

You are looking at it the complete wrong way. You say they are banned on Steam Deck because of hardware, yet they are also not available on my Windows PC if I only use Steam. Doesn't mean my PC was banned from EPIC.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
You are looking at it the complete wrong way. You say they are banned on Steam Deck because of hardware

Yes. And next Xbox ( whatever crap would be ) could be banned by Sony to play its games, despite is Windows derivate.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
their PC strategy is completely wrong because they fortify other already dominating storefronts like Steam and help them grow even more, not even Ubisoft releases their games directly on Steam, they have years of exclusivity on their own launcher/storefront before their games go to Steam, Sony has the best trophy system in the industry, they have some of the best and most popular games in the market both in single and multiplayer, they have third party exclusivity deals with some of the biggest franchises, they have their own subscription service PS Plus that they can sell to PC users aswell, they have accessories that are compatible with PC like PSVR2 and their headsets, controllers that can have system software updates directly linked to the launcher, if there is one company that can rival Steam in the PC space, that's Sony PlayStation because they have the competence and some of the best engineers to create a good PC launcher and integrate the PlayStation Network on PC to grow their MAUs, the way they're doing their PC strategy is only growing Steam
hfcower.png

even on their PSVR PC Adapter trailer they mention Steam and use Steam content to promote it, it's like they want to grow Steam and Steam Deck more than they want to grow their own brand, it's been 4 years since they shift strategy to release games on PC and they still have to pay 30% of each copy they sell to Valve

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
That thing won't do well. How many launchers does PC already have? 3 major ones?

It would definitely benefit them but I don't think it'll do as well as they hope.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
addendum:

- offer cross-buy, cross-platform, cross-save compatibility to incentivize people to buy on PS Store, buy one copy on PS Store, play on both PC and PS Consoles you own
- offer Cloud Gaming and a native version of PS Plus Premium to PC users, charge them to play online on games like Helldivers 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima MP mode the same way you charge console users
- have PS Stars integration, not only when you buy a digital copy on PS Store you have 2 copies of the game to access on multiple platforms, but you also earn PS Stars points to redeem currency for your PSN account increasing more digital adoption across devices
- account link and all the drama that comes with it won't be required, cause you will be obligated to have one to access the launcher, furthermore not creating confusion with users outside of the PSN support range, they won't even have access to the launcher itself until their country becomes compatible.

Reactions: Shadow2027