The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I can answer that. There's a couple of shots in front of the capitol where you can clearly tell what's behind is something not real. Colour, light and bookeh are perfect, but you can see the slight featering around the actors. There's another one in Episode 6 when they are camping at night, just at the end. You can tell that one was recorded in a studio, it's also a painting on the back. Again very good colour matching and lighting, but it's kinda visible.
Nevertheless, the show suffers from a problem I'm noticing more and more: Special effects are so damn good that you don't notice them, and when a small thing is out of place you get into that uncanny valley area where it really jumps. If the show had consistent mediocre CGI you wouldn't notice it, but since the CGI, sets, and overall SFX are absurdly good, any moment were it's not up to that extraordinary bar will become apparent.
Some of what you may think is overly-clear CGI, especially for skylines and backgrounds, is actually the effect of cold, dry air at high altitude.

For a long time, I lived on the east side of Calgary, and on a clear day, with the mountains being about two hours away from where I stood, the mountains can be seen as clear and sharp as if you were only a few hundred metres away.

I have some pics I took in Canmore, which is the town they used for Jackson Hole, and all they changed was set dressing for that.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
. For example, Episode 1 and 2 looks and feels like it was written, direct and edited by the same person, the rest of the episodes not. The episodes do not work as a collective, only as a individual episode show. They lack cohesive structure, it is hard to explain but you can notice it so much you can group the episodes, 1 and 2 have no relation to 3 etc.
I think that you got it on the nail, it's hard to get a feel of the progress, even when Ellie holds a map in the car.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zeroing

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ok, I keep seeing people with no taste in media whatsoever say this show is poorly-written.

What shows would you say are well-written?

Asking so I can laugh my ass off.

Also, which shots do you think the backgrounds are obviously CGI in? I live where a lot of the show was shot, so it should be amusing to hear that.
Taste is subjective clearly, and anyone that thinks this TV show is some bastion of good writing compared to the games has some questionable taste. It's not a coincidence that one of the non game side characters that was written for the show (Kathleen) has some of the most awful and school theatre quality dialogue ever. Druckmann seems obsessed with writing women as bloodthirsty revenge freaks (original Tess, Abby) and not rational human beings. Also hilarious how defensive people get when you critique this show. You know your show is trash when you have the god-like TLOU source material to work off of but The Walking Dead still has a better pilot episode than you.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
1. You mean they deliberate tried to edit the tv show to make it B tier tv show? Because nothing screams low budget than a slow motion shot of an actors face - episode 5

You're focusing on 1 shot where they probably needed a second or so more time between cuts and didn't have the tape for it? Damn. And no, it's not edited like a B TV show.

. For example, Episode 1 and 2 looks and feels like it was written, direct and edited by the same person, the rest of the episodes not. The episodes do not work as a collective, only as a individual episode show. They lack cohesive structure, it is hard to explain but you can notice it so much you can group the episodes, 1 and 2 have no relation to 3 etc.

Episode 3 was directed very differently, that's not a surprise considering the tone and setting. Everything else seems cohesive thus far.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
You're focusing on 1 shot where they probably needed a second or so more time between cuts and didn't have the tape for it? Damn. And no, it's not edited like a B TV show.

Episode 3 was directed very differently, that's not a surprise considering the tone and setting. Everything else seems cohesive thus far.
Shaking camera shot then steady camera shot, grainy scene followed by a crisp scene… Joel hair goes grey than darker and so much more. That all ads up into making the show feel cheapened.

You still don’t understand, episode 1 and 2, scenes from when the outbreak started, intro than aftermath of the pandemic, by your own words than episode 4,5 and 6 should also follow that and they do not!

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Shaking camera shot then steady camera shot, grainy scene followed by a crisp scene… Joel hair goes grey than darker and so much more. That all ads up into making the show feel cheapened.

You still don’t understand, episode 1 and 2, scenes from when the outbreak started, intro than aftermath of the pandemic, by your own words than episode 4,5 and 6 should also follow that and they do not!

We'll agree to disagree

Reactions: Zeroing

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Why wouldn't their clothes be fresh? People were able to repair a dam but can't figure out how to make a pair of jeans? The technology exists, they know how to do it, society didn't stop because of the apocalypse... So this argument is just weird.
Because it isn't realistic to be able to access all the material inputs. You'd have to have access to, for example, at least moderately high quality cotton production. Cotton is incredibly hard to produce in high quantity without mechanical aides. You might be able to repair one hydro dam, but then you'd need access to powered industry in a completely separate geographical area as cotton is mostly grown in warmer climates than ... wyoming. Then you'd need a textiles factory which could process the raw cotton into industrial grade fabrics. Then another factory to produce the garments. Then you'd need a lot of manual labor to sew together the end results. From a cost and availability perspective it just does not make sense, maybe MAYBE a single community would have access to it but not every single survivor settlement across the entire US.... I would expect everyone to be wearing clothing that shows obvious signs of wear, or patched together with spare fabric from cannibalized clothes.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Because it isn't realistic to be able to access all the material inputs. You'd have to have access to, for example, at least moderately high quality cotton production. Cotton is incredibly hard to produce in high quantity without mechanical aides. You might be able to repair one hydro dam, but then you'd need access to powered industry in a completely separate geographical area as cotton is mostly grown in warmer climates than ... wyoming. Then you'd need a textiles factory which could process the raw cotton into industrial grade fabrics. Then another factory to produce the garments. Then you'd need a lot of manual labor to sew together the end results. From a cost and availability perspective it just does not make sense, maybe MAYBE a single community would have access to it but not every single survivor settlement across the entire US.... I would expect everyone to be wearing clothing that shows obvious signs of wear, or patched together with spare fabric from cannibalized clothes.
There's more clothing availability than you'd ever need for an apocalypse only 20 years in. Millions of houses, stores, warehouses would be stocked with clothes that can be used or repaired

Maybe if it was a hundred years in your have a point

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's more clothing availability than you'd ever need for an apocalypse only 20 years in. Millions of houses, stores, warehouses would be stocked with clothes that can be used or repaired

moths don't exist in the apocalypse?

• haha
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Moths are going to eat through a billion pieces of clothing?

I guess the real pandemic would be moths making everyone naked
Yeah I forgot that people just go down to the local zombie-infected mall/warehouse every time they find a hole in their shirt to pick up a new one...oh wait

I mean I said it was a minor nitpick and just something I noticed. No need to get defensive about it. I still think the show is great. Also, remember going through the game? How dirty did everything look?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yeah I forgot that people just go down to the local zombie-infected mall/warehouse every time they find a hole in their shirt to pick up a new one...oh wait

I mean I said it was a minor nitpick and just something I noticed. No need to get defensive about it. I still think the show is great. Also, remember going through the game? How dirty did everything look?
Lol, any nitpick about the show is endlessly dogpiled as impossible no matter how minor. Just like Marlene and the fireflies fresh looking clothes and the Boston QZ looking like an artificial set the entire time. It'll probably only be until season 2 when everyone is out of the honeymoon phase/paid journalist window to where people are allowed to actually criticize this show as anything but the second coming of christ.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Lol, any nitpick about the show is endlessly dogpiled as impossible no matter how minor. Just like Marlene and the fireflies fresh looking clothes and the Boston QZ looking like an artificial set the entire time. It'll probably only be until season 2 when everyone is out of the honeymoon phase/paid journalist window to where people are allowed to actually criticize this show as anything but the second coming of christ.
If it is the second coming, you need to stop with your bitchfit and climb down off the cross.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
9.2 on imdb. It is evident that the series is masterpiece.
I have my own issues with it but it change nothing.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

So the logic is "whoever disagrees with me is wrong"? Or maybe, just maybe, the overwhelming majority of people are enjoying the show. I don't know, don't want to be controversial.

Also, found this video interesting. The part where it focuses on Ellie is brilliant. More important than showing someone blowing their brains out, they show how Ellie is impacted by said action. Its so much more impactful IMO.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Reading the criticisms some have of this show reveals a huge lack of media literacy in a lot of people.

If you don’t understand the choices made, I’d recommend a few of you watch some movies with the director commentary track on, primarily Heat, Goodfellas, Dawn of the Dead and The Mummy (1999). There’s a lot that’s clearly going over some heads when it comes to editing and story choices, so for story choices, listen to the official podcast, there’s an episode of it for every episode of the show.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Clothing, like most things, will decay very fast without maintenance.

Those few who have the knowledge would go back to early or pre industrial methods.

Another big problem is that pretty much all easily accessible sources of fossil fuels and coal are long gone. Same for mines, and modern farming requires a lot of inputs from said fuel industry.

So let's say that they get that dam working, when a turbine breaks it's over for it (assuming they would make another one, they would probably not be able to get it back in place).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Not reading any replies to me cuz you guys are seething just because not everyone likes that CW quality show. Just goes to show the team of artists, animators, and voice actors that made the game great really helped Druckman because clearly he can't write well on his own to save his life. Guess that's what happens when one person takes the sole credit for work that was done in a team.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not reading any replies to me cuz you guys are seething just because not everyone likes that CW quality show. Just goes to show the team of artists, animators, and voice actors that made the game great really helped Druckman because clearly he can't write well on his own to save his life. Guess that's what happens when one person takes the sole credit for work that was done in a team.
If you think the show is CW quality, you either don’t watch CW shows, or you’re a troll.