The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is going to sound stupid as fuck but as much I love The Last of Us I refuse to watch the show because of Bella Ramsay. I played through the game probably 5 times and platinumed it twice.

Her face passes off, her acting is not that good and she nowhere near resembles Ellie. What a fucking insult to the fanbase. I am glad its doing well but a big fat FUCK YOU to whoever made the final decision to cast Bella Remsey as Ellie. You are a fuckinlovoserr, and if I were your boss you'd be fired for even suggesting such an atrocious idea.

Bella Ramsey is a great actress. Bella is Ellie personified.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Pedro Pascal doesn't resemble Joel either, to the point he isn't even american, he's Chilean... why doesn't this bother you but Bella does? Bella acts just like Ellie does, dude.
I disagree - Pedro does have some resembles in my opinion with the age and the hair. Also, Huge Jackman would of been the best pick.
Ellie 1st of all is a 14 year old girl in TLOU, Bella is fucking 19 but looks like she's 7 with her baby ass face.

Honestly, this scene right here shows how Huge Jackman would of been the perfect choice -
The girl maybe not to so much, but at least she seems to be a far better actor than Bella is.

Logan is one of my favorite films of recent times.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I disagree - Pedro does have some resembles in my opinion with the age and the hair. Also, Huge Jackman would of been the best pick.
Ellie 1st of all is a 14 year old girl in TLOU, Bella is fucking 19 but looks like she's 7 with her baby ass face.

Honestly, this scene right here shows how Huge Jackman would of been the perfect choice -
The girl maybe not to so much, but at least she seems to be a far better actor than Bella is.

Logan is one of my favorite films of recent times.
Both are fine. And, no, Pascal doesn't resemble Joel, They don't even have the same skin tone.
Joel has that sad puppy eyes while Pedro Pascal seems angry all the time.
pedro-pascal-perfect-joel-header.jpg

The only thing they got in common are that they're both guys in their 40's/50's
In that sense, Bella and Ellie are alike, they're both young white girls.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bella may not look like Ellie, but she acts just like her.

Exactly. And only someone very mentally challenged can't recognise Bella is a great actress.

That people don't njoy she doesn't look like Ellie? Absolutely, I get that, I felt the same way. But the acting more than makes up for it.

• they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I started listening to the official podcast for the show, and it’s hilarious to read some of the more intellectually-stunted things gamers are saying about the show and then hear the co-show runners, one of whom created the games, explain why all those criticisms are totally uninformed and off-base by simply explaining and analyzing the thought processes of the writing and casting decisions they’ve made.

It’s also just a great podcast for learning interesting stuff about the show. I wasn’t surprised at all that the change from Pittsburgh to Kansas City was because there’s no locations here in Alberta that look like Pittsburgh.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Both are fine. And, no, Pascal doesn't resemble Joel, They don't even have the same skin tone.
Joel has that sad puppy eyes while Pedro Pascal seems angry all the time.
pedro-pascal-perfect-joel-header.jpg

The only thing they got in common are that they're both guys in their 40's/50's
In that sense, Bella and Ellie are alike, they're both young white girls.
Yes, but a person at age of 14 is going to be vastly different than someone who's at an age of 19 or older. 40/50s doesn't have much difference. People change the most during their teen years to adulthood. Bella is way too old to play a 14 year old kid.

• haha

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I love Jackman and Pedro, and I was pretty sceptic about his role as Joel. The guy just looks too "cool", but not in a Texas kind of way. However, from the fourth episode I think all actors are more in their respective character.

The third episode is not as bas as some make it out to be, but this remains grade C rom-com.
I think they needed someone who could play Ellie in THoU 2 within a reasonable amount of time.
Yes, but a person at age of 14 is going to be vastly different than someone who's at an age of 19 or older. 40/50s doesn't have much difference. People change the most during their teen years to adulthood. Bella is way too old to play a 14 year old kid.
Have you been around 14\15 years old girls? There is a reason the term "jail bait" exists.
That people don't njoy she doesn't look like Ellie? Absolutely, I get that, I felt the same way. But the acting more than makes up for it.
I don't think that people would have been happier if they would have cast the person that originally inspired Ellie's character.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
This is going to sound stupid as fuck but as much I love The Last of Us I refuse to watch the show because of Bella Ramsay. I played through the game probably 5 times and platinumed it twice.

Her face passes off, her acting is not that good and she nowhere near resembles Ellie. What a fucking insult to the fanbase. I am glad its doing well but a big fat FUCK YOU to whoever made the final decision to cast Bella Remsey as Ellie. You are a fuckinlovoserr, and if I were your boss you'd be fired for even suggesting such an atrocious idea.
yeah I can see your point but to be fair she does have moments acting where I was “wow that’s Ellie”
Maybe HBO had a huge part on casting decisions.

Anyway I’m more triggered by the awful editing.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I've been in the minority of disliking this show since episode 1. Episode 5 was the only good episode to me and that was because the actors who played Henry and Sam were an improvement to me over the game. The rest though just feels like a badly acted CW show.

• The sets and green screens stick out and feel artificial.
  • The lack of color grading or just any decent cinematography makes this feel shot on a home video camera.
  • The lack of action and even violence in a show about infected on a network known for its action and brutality.
  • Also they have the same composer as the games but whenever they decide to use his music it's literally at a volume of 5 and barely audible, and doesn't really add anything significant to the scene.
  • Also the pacing, somehow they made the show seem rushed and clunky and slow and boring all at the same time.

What's even crazier to me is we know this show had a crazy huge budget, but it doesn't look half as cinematic or expensive as a show like GoT. They must've spent all their budget on hiring Pedro and the revolving door of Oscar winning directors, but that can't save bad writing and cinematography. Rant over, since TLOU is my favorite video game ever and I hate to see how they massacred what should've been a slam dunk adaptation. Even though I'm in the minority so casuals are apparently satisfied.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Episode 6 was really good i thought, although there are still slight pacing problems and my core complaint still remains: way too many survivors, and their clothes are way too fresh for being 20 years into the post-apocalypse. Minor things overall though, ep5-6 were definitely a very strong combo.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Yea, i dont like the show either, it doesnt hold my attention for some reason.
Maybe cause i know story, who knows. Bella s great actor and has done overall good job. But i just find her strange looking i cant explain. Like grown up person. Ellie was teen, baby face, innocent in harsh world without anyone so i kinda felt really bad about her and what she had to endure. Stolen childhood. Cant feel the same about Bella. Game s like survival from the get go.
In the show shes from the start, full of confidence, ironic, witty....i remember Ellie in the game, afraid, questioning everything, untill she became stronger. Both Pedro and Bella look way too relaxed in that fallout, destroyed world. Show lack brutality, harsh world full of unknown.
Sometimes it seems rushed. Maybe im looking from different persective of games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I started off not liking Bella Ramsey's take on Ellie but I've been thinking about it lately and the game Ellie is way too normal and well-adjusted for an orphaned teen that was brought up in a military training camp and had to kill her best friend and murder who knows how many people, without the emotional and social supports that would help her overcome those things. While the game Ellie is way more likeable imo... HBO show Ellie is neurotic and a psycho weirdo in a way that her past traumas would make sense for the character. So while she's not Ellie in a pure sense... imo she is internally consistent within the world of TLoU. Also this sets her up for part 2 better imo.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I've been in the minority of disliking this show since episode 1. Episode 5 was the only good episode to me and that was because the actors who played Henry and Sam were an improvement to me over the game. The rest though just feels like a badly acted CW show.

• The lack of color grading or just any decent cinematography makes this feel shot on a home video camera.
  • The lack of action and even violence in a show about infected on a network known for its action and brutality.
  • Also they have the same composer as the games but whenever they decide to use his music it's literally at a volume of 5 and barely audible, and doesn't really add anything significant to the scene.
  • Also the pacing, somehow they made the show seem rushed and clunky and slow and boring all at the same time.

What's even crazier to me is we know this show had a crazy huge budget, but it doesn't look half as cinematic or expensive as a show like GoT. They must've spent all their budget on hiring Pedro and the revolving door of Oscar winning directors, but that can't save bad writing and cinematography. Rant over, since TLOU is my favorite video game ever and I hate to see how they massacred what should've been a slam dunk adaptation. Even though I'm in the minority so casuals are apparently satisfied.
I’m actually surprised someone shares most of my opinion, I’ve complain over and over about the bad editing, pacing and narrative choices.

I’ve enjoyed this episode but they have no focus at all, the first 2 episodes always mark the pacing/ structure of a show, intro was the past, then after the title was the aftermath of the infection, they thrown away that sequence and no wonder people didn’t like episode 3, it wasn’t about the gay characters, it was how they choose to throw away what they already established in the first 2 episodes.

If everyone watches the 6 episodes in a row they will notice how there’s no cohesive visual narrative.

Reactions: nongkris

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Ok, I keep seeing people with no taste in media whatsoever say this show is poorly-written.

What shows would you say are well-written?

Asking so I can laugh my ass off.

Also, which shots do you think the backgrounds are obviously CGI in? I live where a lot of the show was shot, so it should be amusing to hear that.

Last edited:
  • noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gediminas

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Episode 6 is spectacular. They managed to handle a really big section in the game perfectly without it feeling rushed. They also nailed something Game of Thrones was excellent at and then became shit - Time. Even if two scenes are spread a few days apart, you don't feel like they are things that happened back to back. You feel that time passed. That's not an easy thing to do.

I will have to disagree with your post. One by one:

The sets and green screens stick out and feel artificial.

Not really. The lighting match between green screen and matte painting (looks like a lot of the outside scenes use it, especially in the first few episodes) is great, and what gives it away to me is the slight feathering in the edges of actors. Still, a lot of the show is actually practical and you can tell, these small moments usually happen in busy scenes (and not all of them). Set design is amazing, including Episode 5 (which the latter part of was actually a full sized set).

The lack of color grading or just any decent cinematography makes this feel shot on a home video camera.

Not all shows need impeccable cinematic colour grading. this is a show about two people transversing the country in the wilderness, so it makes sense to use the handcam movement, camera placement, and set design around it. It's a very grounded show and it shows. Now, you may not like it, but what you describe is more than likely what they are going for.

The lack of action and even violence in a show about infected on a network known for its action and brutality.

The game was never about infected, so expecting the show, which is a non-interactive form of media, to have violence and action... That and brutality: The show has had plenty of it.

Also they have the same composer as the games but whenever they decide to use his music it's literally at a volume of 5 and barely audible, and doesn't really add anything significant to the scene.

Because this is not a marvel movie or a grandiose hollywood production. More often than not dramatic shows and movies opt for a minimal soundtrack that stays in the back for ambiance and to help carry the scene. The kind of "volume" you describe would be better fitted in something like World War Z (if we're using the Zombie theme).

Also the pacing, somehow they made the show seem rushed and clunky and slow and boring all at the same time.

Hard disagree. This is a slow paced show, the story is expected to have a certain amount of beats and they are hitting them every single week. If anything, the change between game and show, necessary for a TV adaption, may look jarring if one is looking for a show that is like the game. As I'd said before, considering the game is not about Infected or raiders, having that expectation would break whatever enjoyment one may have.

Episode 6 was really good i thought, although there are still slight pacing problems and my core complaint still remains: way too many survivors, and their clothes are way too fresh for being 20 years into the post-apocalypse. Minor things overall though, ep5-6 were definitely a very strong combo.

Why wouldn't their clothes be fresh? People were able to repair a dam but can't figure out how to make a pair of jeans? The technology exists, they know how to do it, society didn't stop because of the apocalypse... So this argument is just weird.

I’m actually surprised someone shares most of my opinion, I’ve complain over and over about the bad editing, pacing and narrative choices.

Hard disagree on bad editing as well. Bad editing is something you'd see in the queen movie, for example. The editing here is very deliberate.

If everyone watches the 6 episodes in a row they will notice how there’s no cohesive visual narrative.

What do you mean by this?

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also, which shots do you think the backgrounds are obviously CGI in? I live where a lot of the show was shot, so it should be amusing to hear that.

I can answer that. There's a couple of shots in front of the capitol where you can clearly tell what's behind is something not real. Colour, light and bookeh are perfect, but you can see the slight featering around the actors. There's another one in Episode 6 when they are camping at night, just at the end. You can tell that one was recorded in a studio, it's also a painting on the back. Again very good colour matching and lighting, but it's kinda visible.

Nevertheless, the show suffers from a problem I'm noticing more and more: Special effects are so damn good that you don't notice them, and when a small thing is out of place you get into that uncanny valley area where it really jumps. If the show had consistent mediocre CGI you wouldn't notice it, but since the CGI, sets, and overall SFX are absurdly good, any moment were it's not up to that extraordinary bar will become apparent.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
1 Hard disagree on bad editing as well. Bad editing is something you'd see in the queen movie, for example. The editing here is very deliberate.

2 What do you mean by this?
1. You mean they deliberate tried to edit the tv show to make it B tier tv show? Because nothing screams low budget than a slow motion shot of an actors face - episode 5

2. For example, Episode 1 and 2 looks and feels like it was written, direct and edited by the same person, the rest of the episodes not. The episodes do not work as a collective, only as a individual episode show. They lack cohesive structure, it is hard to explain but you can notice it so much you can group the episodes, 1 and 2 have no relation to 3 etc.

Reactions: nongkris