The official opinions from Sony, Ubisoft, WB, BN, Apple, Riot, Google and more about the Activision Blizzard acquisition (From ERA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
After reading all.

Sony'statments are pretty understandable (shocking will be otherwise) and they have the most weight, cuz you know. Xbox and Playstation are direct competitors (even if Phill doesn't believe so 😆).

The comment about gamepass "negative effect" on publishers is pretty interesting. Of course Sony is doubling down in this rethoric. Did they show recipes tho?.
I find it hilarious how they're spitting this venom at GamePass while simultaneously pushing a similar service.

Reactions: DarkMage619

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
COD need PS more than PS need COD. Without Playstation COD will cut half their sales, but PS without COD nodoby cares it will hurt a bit at start but Sony will catch up with something like they always did, some people forgot ps3/xbox 360 era.

Wish MS would lock COD Xbox exclusfit tho, would be funny to see the new pathetique sales of the franchise.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I just read the entry emails.

MS is at "ACESSO RESTRITO A MICROSOFT" is 90% of the replies.
Sony has some "ACESSO RESTRITO A SONY AND CADE" more related to revenue numbers.

Seems like Microsoft asked non-disclosure of their replies.

P

peter42O

That's why Sony is ironically pulling a 360 and trying to lock as much behind the PS+ paywall, to upsell. You have to have PS+ to use SharePlay, for some reason, Remote Play is still free.

I think people care about online play, cloud saves, Remote Play, monthly free games and backwards compatability. All that other crap can get in the bin.
I agree. Even though I do put online play as easily above all the rest simply because if you're an online gamer, you're required to have PS Plus (or Gold on Xbox) in order to play games online.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Serious Question, How much revenue does FF14 bring in for square? Anybody know?

Edit from what i gathered from a quick google search it looks like ff14 brings in something like 2 billion in revenue a year.

"How Much money has ff14 made in 2021?

Revenue and profits both rose--apparently thanks to the continued success of Final Fantasy XIV. During this period in 2021, Square Enix earned 273.6 billion yen (about $2.4 billion) in the last financial period, an increase of 7.8 percent from the 253.6 billion yen it earned in the same period in 2020."

"How Much money has COD made in 2021:
all of Duty has made $30 billion to date, WaPo reports. The last figure was $27 billion as of December 31, 2020. This means the Call of Duty franchise made more than $3 billion from all of 2021, which includes Vanguard's launch, and half of 2022"

So if sony does in fact buy SE, theyd only be a billion behind on cods yearly revenue. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekiel

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
The average COD sells around 20-30 million on all platforms including Xbox and PC.

So around 10 million COD players on PlayStation out of 100+ million Playstation gamers.

If all leave you are looking at a loss of 10 million gamers. That's the worst case scenario and is a blip on PS sales.

Not gonna happen either cause many PS gamers own a PC and Xbox anyway.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The average COD sells around 20-30 million on all platforms including Xbox and PC.

So around 10 million COD players on PlayStation out of 100+ million Playstation gamers.

If all leave you are looking at a loss of 10 million gamers. That's the worst case scenario and is a blip on PS sales.

Not gonna happen either cause many PS gamers own a PC and Xbox anyway.
Sony lost 20 billion dollars on the stock market when this deal was announced. Theyre not looking at it like a small blip at all.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Sony lost 20 billion dollars on the stock market when this deal was announced. Theyre not looking at it like a small blip at all.

SONY STOCK VALUE LOSES $20 BILLION, BUT WILL LIKELY RECOVER​

Sony Shares Rebound After Plunging in Response to Microsoft’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard​

Sony Shares Rebound After Plunging in Response to Microsoft’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard​

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

On 19th January when the deal Activision deal was announced Sony stocks were at 12,410 dropping from 14,000 and dropped 20 billion in value.

2 Weeks laters it was at 13,400.

These things happen in stocks.

You are overestimating the value of COD considering the whole franchise has made 30 billion in its entire history.
Around 3 billion a year on all platforms.

Presumably 1 billion on Playstation each year of which Sony take a 30% cut.

Last edited:

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
if i were sony i wouldn't be worried at all, let them take COD off the market. I'd already be (right now) developing an exclusive shooter franchise to take it's place or at the very least take a chunk of its customer base away. No need to pay MS any %tage. Take it off full stop.

No, it won't be SOCOM, Killzone, or some other dead and forgotten IP from 2003 in Sony's back catalog. something new.

It's very easy to kill COD. The games have been dipping in quality each year, and their ultra-bro, military-enthusiast fanbase doesn't care for COD's descent into wokeshit, but activision keeps going that route deeper and deeper every year.

exploit the weaknesses of this long-in-the-tooth, tired ex-bro, now woke-pink-haired shooter, and all its dumb camouflages and joke guns. Turn the PS fanbase and consumer against it.

It's just like a bad habit that needs to be broken....

Good riddance to bad garbage.

n9rgx8tea1331.jpg

960x0.jpg

come on now. what exactly is this shit?

Didn't they just say they can't replicate COD? You think they can just MAKE another COD that's better?

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
They're definitely sweating it for sure. Once it's exclusive to Xbox, things may change big time in terms of player bases.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Didn't they just say they can't replicate COD? You think they can just MAKE another COD that's better?

There are better games out there than COD. Ex COD developers Respawn made Titanfall and Apex Legends for starters.

COD brand on the other hand is unrivalled.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They're definitely sweating it for sure. Once it's exclusive to Xbox, things may change big time in terms of player bases.
Average COD game sells 20-30 million on all platforms including PC and Xbox.

Around 10 million of those are on Playstation.

Worst case sceneraio is losing 10 million gamers. Even that is unlikely considering many gamers own more than one platform. Also many may choose to simply ignore COD or move on to another FPS.

Considering Playstation has 100 million gamers on average it is a blip.

COD is big but it ain't that big to turn the tables. Playstation will be just fine.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Average COD game sells 20-30 million on all platforms including PC and Xbox.

Around 10 million of those are on Playstation.

Worst case sceneraio is losing 10 million gamers. Even that is unlikely considering many gamers own more than one platform. Also many may choose to simply ignore COD or move on to another FPS.

Considering Playstation has 100 million gamers on average it is a blip.

COD is big but it ain't that big to turn the tables. Playstation will be just fine.
COD is huge. Its weird your down playing it. Sonys lucky its going to stay multiplat. With that said, and the reason i brought up ff14 revenue is because for whatever reason should COD not be on playstation, ff14 could kind fill that hole should sony actually acquire SE.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
COD is huge. Its weird your down playing it. Sonys lucky its going to stay multiplat. With that said, and the reason i brought up ff14 revenue is because for whatever reason should COD not be on playstation, ff14 could kind fill that hole should sony actually acquire SE.

Did I say it isn't?

But it ain't that huge. PlayStation is bigger than COD. What COD game drove PS1 and PS2 sales what sold 260 million units combined?

I gave you real numbers and you are claiming I am downplaying it. Show me what I downplayed?

To add to it,

Sony revenue is 25 billion a year. COD revenue is 3 billion a year of which 1 billion is on Playstation.

Of that 1 billion Sony gets a 30% cut so around 300 million a year.

So Sony is gonna lose 300 million year revenue from its 25 billion a year revenue. Peanuts.

Gamers are not gonna run to Xbox or PC in droves. If that was the case then why isn't Xbox outselling the PS5 right now. Its been 7 months since the deal was annnounced and there has been no mass exodus.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Did I say it isn't?

But it ain't that huge.

I gave you real numbers and you are claiming I am downplaying it. Show me what I downplayed?

To add to it,

Sony revenue is 25 billion a year. COD revenue is 3 billion a year of which 1 billion is on Playstation.

Of that 1 billion Sony gets a 30% cut so around 300 million a year

So Sony is gonna lose 300 million year revenue from its 25 billion a year revenue. Peanuts.

Gamers are not gonna run to Xbox or PC in droves. If that was the case then why isn't Xbox outselling the PS5 right now. Its been 7 months since the deal was annnounced and there has been no mass exodus.
Deal announced =/= Deal in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.