Videocardz: PC GPU shipments decline 38% YoY

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sure you didn't, buddy. I'm just imagining things.

And I'm not sure what you mean by PCMR strawman.
during the ps4/xbo generation it -was- easy to do that. I built a GTX 970 rig with 3x the GPU power of a ps4 and like 3x the CPU power for $800 2 years after the PS4 came out.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
during the ps4/xbo generation it -was- easy to do that. I built a GTX 970 rig with 3x the GPU power of a ps4 and like 3x the CPU power for $800 2 years after the PS4 came out.

So for double the price 2 years after the gen began you built a more powerful rig? Damn, congratulations, you just proved my point.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So for double the price 2 years after the gen began you built a more powerful rig? Damn, congratulations, you just proved my point.
The 970 released in 2014. If I wanted to I could have built it earlier. If I wanted to scale down the parts I could have done so too. Where did you miss that I said that $600-$1000 is the ideal budget pc? Are you just picking a fight for shits and gigs?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
No games even use the full power of the ps5 ssd. And I'd argue that "comparable" does not mean exactly equal. Windows/directx in itself will mean the pc will need ~10% better specs to match performance in equally optimized games. The point is, people aren't really going to notice a 3-4s load time vs 1-2s in ps5, and the stuff that truly leverages p5 i/o will be exclusive to ps5 anyway.

The point isn't to say "haha my $600-700 pc can beat your $500 console" the point is to say "how much would a person need to spend to get a pc with roughly equivalent specs/performance to a ps5". Because idk if you've noticed but a lot of kids want pcs so they can have their own little youtube/twitch streams.
You are bringing an inferior hardware that cannot keep up with PS5 few years from now. And is still pricey.

Give it up. Nothing matches consoles when it comes to price, performance, plug&play and exclusive content.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The Master Race meme is not a big population, people with top of the line expensive af cards will always be a minority, they also supply the used market of the next batch (the majority) of players that can't afford the luxury while Nvidia + AMD supply top - mid cards for everyone interested

There was a niche that used to pay top dollar for the most expensive cards and that was ok, then the crypto fad happened and these greedy douches in the industry thought rising the price on everything was going to be the new normal, poor idiots, it totally backfired on them the moment crypto bubble popped :ROFLMAO:
As long as they're not in the red it's not a backfire - anything but a backfire. They got a word for the current situation in business.... market "self correction". Suppliers would take the same decisions given the choice again in a similar circumstances. It's business. They push the margins until they can no longer reasonably push. Money is the beginning, the middle and the end of all discussions. Suppliers felt they had more leverage on the market, thus they exploited that leverage for greater gain. Serfs become poorer and/or no longer have the same incentive for similar demand = "market correction". Their job now is to soften the landing and keep it all in the green, which they will - more than likely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How much mental gymnastics has PCMR guys had to go through to try to match the Console price/performance.

PS5 DE with a DualSense controller included at $399.
how insecure do console fans have to be to constantly make up strawmen lol
Console will always be better price/perf, but pc will be attractive to people who want full control of their machines. Modding, full back compat through emulation, the ability to dump money to get 120-240+fps at full resolution and quality, mouse+keyboard+a variety of 3rd party controller/wheel/accessory support etc... and a la carte upgradability
it's true at launch, but sure, ps4 days it was easy to get better price/perf in the midrange, especially a couple years after launch. For example the GTX 1070 came out in 2016 and was 3.5x the performance of a ps4 GPU at $380 MSRP. Matching parts would give you 4x the performance of a ps4 for between 2.5x-triple the price (vs $300 ps4, at $400 ps4 it was even easier). Hence, better price/perf. The funny thing is that ya'll aren't happy with having dedicated AAA developers that focus efforts on making the games run better on your platform, and have to try to dick measure against PC people without even understanding what's being compared.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
it's true at launch, but sure, ps4 days it was easy to get better price/perf in the midrange, especially a couple years after launch. For example the GTX 1070 came out in 2016 and was 3.5x the performance of a ps4 GPU at $380 MSRP. Matching parts would give you 4x the performance of a ps4 for between 2.5x-triple the price (vs $300 ps4, at $400 ps4 it was even easier). Hence, better price/perf. The funny thing is that ya'll aren't happy with having dedicated AAA developers that focus efforts on making the games run better on your platform, and have to try to dick measure against PC people without even understanding what's being compared.
The 1070 is missing a lot of features and is nowhere near whatever the ps5 had, not even a 2060 would be a match (I owned both of these GPUs at some point).

D

Deleted member 417

Why do PCMR only ever do price/power ocmparisons between a GPU and a console? A console has a HDD/SDD, RAm, CPU, Motherboard, GPU, Case, Disc Drive, PSU, HDMI cable, USB cable and a pad.

If you compare a PS5+PSVR2 build you don't even need to include the price of a monitor.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think that this is because MS or some of their fan said that the series x would compare to a 1080 at some point before release.
I still love the “PS5 isn’t true RDNA 2” talking point, even after AMD has publically said that there were features in the PS5 GPU that they incorporated into RDNA 2 that weren’t initially going to be in the spec, and that the PS5 exceeds the RDNA 2 spec in multiple ways, hence it not being advertised as such.

Then again, admitting they’ve read that means they can’t keep downplaying what a genius hardware designer Mark Cerny is, which we all know would kill them to be honest about.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The 1070 is missing a lot of features and is nowhere near whatever the ps5 had, not even a 2060 would be a match (I owned both of these GPUs at some point).
Why would you compare a 1070 to a ps5 when I said specificaly ps4?

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You are the one doing dumpster diving to get parts for your builds.
The dumpster diving is BECAUSE the hardware companies are so greedy now. Hence the point of this post. Back when we actually had reasonable prices I would've never considered buying second hand hardware.

EN250

17 Feb 2023
As long as they're not in the red it's not a backfire - anything but a backfire. They got a word for the current situation in business.... market "self correction". Suppliers would take the same decisions given the choice again in a similar circumstances. It's business. They push the margins until they can no longer reasonably push. Money is the beginning, the middle and the end of all discussions. Suppliers felt they had more leverage on the market, thus they exploited that leverage for greater gain. Serfs become poorer and/or no longer have the same incentive for similar demand = "market correction". Their job now is to soften the landing and keep it all in the green, which they will - more than likely.

They "pivoted" to crypto mining instead of just do their business, 10-15 years ago AMD/Radeon was the go-to for crypto as the Nvidia cards didn't have whatever necessary to run those scam machines, then they started to cater to that mob as well, fast forward they were trying to push insane prices to serve the crypto trash while screwing their core customers thinking they'd buy at any price

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Everyone biught their cards over the last 2 years, and there's little reason to upgrade gen on gen with these prices. Plus there's a ton of used cards from crypto dying.

I'm set for the rest of the gen. I'm never going back to consoles. They're too gross.

• fire
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster