We need to talk about PS5's 2024 / 2025 problem - @MysticRyan

D

Deleted member 223

I like how platform influencers put pressure on platform holder marketing teams these days. Same happens with Xbox influencers.

Not an E3 replacement in terms of pressure to perform and show but it's something I guess.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
I don't watch this guy's videos a lot, he tries too hard to not appear like a fanboy imo.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
similar to 2023, we're hanging the whole year on a Q4 marvel game. in my mind that is cause for some negativity. personally, i'm more excited for the service games.
There are three fantastic games releasing in the next 3 months or so: FF7, Ronin, and Dragon Dogma 2; fair enough, they are not all first parties, but goodness me, they will all be great games.

You also have Path of exile 2, diablo seasons to come.

Sometimes i wonder how people find all this time to go through so many games.

Maybe i am in a fortunate situation as i dont go through games that quickly, it can take me up to a couple of months to go through a god of war playthrough.

Plus i have a massive back log full of incredible sony games, i have not even played games like ghost of Tshumina or spiderman yet.

So for me, this does not affect me in the slightest, i do think the doom and gloom is a little bit over blown, we all sony has great games still to come.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Does PlayStation have a first party problem for 2024 and 2025?
No, next question.

I can't help but feel a little uneasy, knowing about the big GAAS push, the Bend and Naughty Dog drama, the cancelled and delayed projects and how Hermen seems to constantly be on holiday...

I really thing there was some poor management to blame.

That's just my gut feeling.... I'm willing to give till summer to see if it's any better than I assume.

What I really can't fathom is how they could mismanage 1st party and also allow Microsoft to cosy up with 3rd parties in Japan.

Even if Xbox can't really make a comeback, it shoes massive issues are present.
Hermen's job is to manage the PS Studios teams, who are doing a great job with great sales and reviews. He also grew/is growing their existing teams to allow them work in more games at the same time plus bought support studios to help them plus acquired more studios to work in even more games plus they also made a record investment for 2nd party games.

This is his job, not to appear in promotional videos or interviews, or to make marketing stuff like blog posts. I don't see where do you get "mismanagement" or him "being constantly on holiday".

Having a few of their more than two dozen games under development delayed and one cancelled? This is normal business in gamedev, nothing to do with poor management because always happened in all companies. And one of the reasons of why companies try to announce their games as late as they can afford, to avoid customers being aware of it because most people doesn't understand that during development it's normal that games get changed, delayed, in some areas sometimes downgraded or even cancelled. So the closer to release they announce and show the games, the more chances are that they'll release as announced.

Top tier AAA games requiring more people and time to be developed every generation? This has nothing to do with him, happens in all companies and happened every generation.

And well, he has nothing to do with 3rd parties, he's the head of PS Studios, meaning SIE 1st party games not including Bungie. There's a separate SIE division for 3rd party relations where he doesn't work because isn't related to PS Studios. That 3rd party division is the one who signs games like Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink or Foamstars to name a few (tell me, what 3rd party Japanese exclusives has MS this year?).

But first party is a bit MIA, would you not say?
They could surprise us though. I want to be surprised.
I'll surprise you, Sony already has half a dozen first party games confirmed for 2024:

-The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
- Helldivers 2
- Rise of the Ronin
- MLB 24
- Stellar Blade
- Concord

Plus to be confirmed, but Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside pretty likely be released in 2024, too. Marathon, Death Stranding 2, Fairgames$ could be announced later for 2024 too but I think they'll be 2025 or 2026 games.

This is not counting other 2024 games they may announce later.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I wonder what xdev has
As I remember:
  • Helldivers 2
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Stellar Blade
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Deviation's unannounced game
  • Ballistic Moon's (former Until Dawn/Supermassive devs) unannounced game

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
So, what's wrong with first 3 months this year on PS5??

- The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
- Granblue Fantasy: Relink
- Helldivers 2
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
- Rise of the Ronin
Remaster of a 3 year old game
Niche title
GaaS
The only one on the list that can potentially push consoles
AA that, as of last showing, looks rough around the edges.

They definitely have a problem. If the GaaS reversal is true, it'll take a while to get everything back on track. This has been Sony's biggest misfire in over a decade.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Niche title
GaaS

They definitely have a problem. If the GaaS reversal is true, it'll take a while to get everything back on track. This has been Sony's biggest misfire in over a decade.

A remaster with totally new mode and new levels. And looks like that remaster is highly rated again.
Despite it is niche, Japanese would love it, as previous sold over million
Previous Helldivers was highly acclaimed game critically and sold couple of millions across Steam and PS4.
FFVII Remake sold gangbusters and moved a lot of PS4s. Rebirth only can be better according to previews .
Neither was a Nioh a looker, and it was great game regardless of graphics.

How there can be a GAAS reversal when you literally have a Helldivers 2 soon and Concord this year. And we need to see a Marathon and Fairgame$ gameplay

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Niche title
GaaS

Cmon dude, Helldivers is more than just "GaaS"
Game actually looks dope, its the starship troopers game I've ever wanted.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Finally it took a random youtuber to say what most sane people have been saying for years since this Jim Ryan era started. Where are the fucking first party games? Stellar Blade would be shovelware trash on any regular year but Playstation marketing is acting like this is some AAA level exclusive that deserves to be proud about.

Reactions: Nhomnhom and Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The CEO of Sony is definitely the problem. As I will reiterate again, the man isn't a fan of gaming or PlayStation

Isn't playstation one of the few divisions actually turning a good profit at Sony? I don't understand why he hates playstation

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Finally it took a random youtuber to say what most sane people have been saying for years since this Jim Ryan era started. Where are the fucking first party games? Stellar Blade would be shovelware trash on any regular year but Playstation marketing is acting like this is some AAA level exclusive that deserves to be proud about.

I've posted a lot of threads about this but each time I get a lot of hate for it

• Shake