What Are You Playing Right Now?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Any recommendations for PlayStation exclusives I should play? Assume I’ve played none, I’d like to finish and review the essentials.

Demons Souls Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us 1&2
Bloodborne
Astrobot's Playroom

If we include games with PC ports:
FF7 remake intergrade
Returnal
R&C rift apart
Horizon Zero Dawn

Not my jam but other people love it:
Uncharted series
spider-man
God of War

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Playing through Spiderman on PC. Nothing quite captures the superhero feel like this and the Arkham series.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
They fucked up when they killed joker in Arkham city he's the main bad guy & without him it's meh
But he appeared in Arkham Knight and he was the last boss. You can have great Batman stories without The Joker, he doesn’t need to be overused. You sound like a casual. Lol

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
They fucked up when they killed joker in Arkham city he's the main bad guy & without him it's meh
I actually like these games precisely because they do things like that.

My biggest problem with superhero comics (and movies) is that they're designed to never ever end! Arkham series was amazing BECAUSE it did things like kill Joker, which drove the series towards a thematic conclusion.

I haven't finished Spiderman yet, but I anticipate something similar to happen there too.

If you have a system you can play it on, Captain America: Super Soldier was a very good Arkham Asylum clone with some rough edges.
How did I never hear of this one, Chris Evans even did voice work on it!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I actually like these games precisely because they do things like that.

My biggest problem with superhero comics (and movies) is that they're designed to never ever end! Arkham series was amazing BECAUSE it did things like kill Joker, which drove the series towards a thematic conclusion.

I haven't finished Spiderman yet, but I anticipate something similar to happen there too.

How did I never hear of this one, Chris Evans even did voice work on it!
SEGA really bungled the release of Captain America. It came after their poorly-received Incredible Hulk and Thor games, and it was rushed to meet the theatrical release of the movie. If they’d held it back for the home video release, it could have gotten the polish to really make it shine. Also, it’s apparently a game that had a very small print run. It took me days and an eventual crosstown drive to find the only copy available in a city of a million people.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
If you have a system you can play it on, Captain America: Super Soldier was a very good Arkham Asylum clone with some rough edges.
Fun fact, made by a studio that’s part of Nintendo now. Next Level Games which does Luigi’s Mansion.

• thisistheway
Reactions: EDMIX

EDMIX

Still working my way through platinuming every game in the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection on PS4 - I'm currently on FFIV, probably 60-70% through it at the moment.

You brave to do that lol

I'd just replay FF3, FF4 and FF6.

Did you get the physical version? I'm still on the hunt for one lol

I'm at about 15 hours now on IV

Thats probably my favorite FF game of the old ones. Love the gameplay, adore the story, we still wondering why Cid is doing all this shit like jumping out of air ships in lava lol yessssssssssssssssssss

Reactions: toadsage44

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
You brave to do that lol

I'd just replay FF3, FF4 and FF6.

Did you get the physical version? I'm still on the hunt for one lol
Finished it up yesterday, so now I've done 4/6 of the pixel remaster collection! Up until April, I had never played the original Final Fantasy games so I definitely wanted to play the whole collection to have a better appreciation for the roots of one of my favorite game franchises.

I was one of the lucky few who snagged a preorder of the PS4 version back in December and it's become one of the crown jewels of my physical game collection. Now if only they'd put out a physical release of FF9 and a remastered FF13 trilogy on PS4, I'd have all the mainline single player Final Fantasy games up to 15 physically on one platform (if you count FF7R)...
Thats probably my favorite FF game of the old ones. Love the gameplay, adore the story, we still wondering why Cid is doing all this shit like jumping out of air ships in lava lol yessssssssssssssssssss
I enjoyed it a lot and I can understand why it's such a beloved game. Cid was a real one pretty much the whole game - constantly saved us.

Have you played 5 and 6 as well? I was doing some research on 5 to see how rough the platinum will be and the job system looks pretty interesting. I especially like how the characters each get a unique outfit for each job.

• thisistheway

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Started a game called Shadows Awakening last night. It's a Diablo clone, but it brings some unique elements to the table as well. I've had this one, as well as another similar game called Victor Vran, on standby for times when I have the Diablo itch. Not planning to buy D4 at least until they're done releasing DLC and release a complete edition, and even then I'll be waiting for a sale. So far Shadows Awakening is okay, but I guess not quite as good as the OG. It's a good mindless game to fill the time until I move on to FF5 or Cyberpunk.

24 Jun 2022
Anything playable on PS5. Doesn’t necessarily have to be exclusive. This is the most access I’ve had to anything PlayStation so I’m diving in.

Well, I personally enjoyed Heavy Rain back on PS3; it should be on PS5 via PS+ Premium if you have it. Ico & Shadow of the Colossus are also worth playing (the latter also a PS4 remake by Blue Point).

If you're into rhythm games, Umjammer Lammy should be fun. I've only played it on original hardware and the one time I tried on PS3 the timing felt off, but that may've been due to a scratched disc or emulation limitations at the time. It should be available for PS Plus Extra members. For more recent games, look into Until Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls Remake, GOW: Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, GT7...but those would probably be obvious picks.

One of my favorite PS1 games, Tomba, is getting a re-release on PS4/5/Switch/Steam and I'm waiting for physical preorders to open up to reserve a copy (it'll also be available digitally). It's a 2.5D Metroidvania-style platformer from the guy who made Ghouls n' Ghosts, but with a jungle guy named Tomba and evil pig lords (or wizards). Very wacky and fun but it's a much older release. I'm hoping the sequel gets re-released in the near future.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Personal review of Sea of Stars after rolling credits.

Time to beat: ~35 hours

Story: 6.5/10. A very basic, by-the-numbers story. Not very ambitious, but not terrible. Decently executed but felt flat at times. Struggled to care about it, and it took way too long to really set in. Also, the main-game ending is not the real ending, need to beat NG+ (I assume) for the true ending.
Music: 8/10. Ranges from just okay to pretty good. While playing through the first half I was thinking about giving it a 7, but thankfully some of the later areas have some music that triggers the nostalgia of good jrpgs of years past.
Characters: 7/10. Hurt tremendously by the lack of voice acting - it was a struggle to give a shit about the characters, especially in the first 10-15 hours. I think the writing is a little too plain for the two MCs, they didn't really stand out as having great personalities. If it was just the two MCs it'd be a 5/10, but thankfully the side characters and party members are quite well done and have really unique animations to flesh out their characterizations.
Art/Visuals: 10/10. Clearly the strongest point of the game, even though the hand-drawn cutscenes can be a little uneven, the artwork is top-notch and enjoyable. This is probably as close to "blown away" by visuals and artwork on a 2D game.
Combat/Gameplay: 9/10. Wheels is a pretty decent minigame, there's plenty of exploration and hidden treasure. Combat starts off by being a bit basic but by the end of the game it's pretty enjoyable. I do think there should have been a slightly bigger move list per character (and have you gain more abilities quicker because the first 10 hours are a slog), but it does the job well. Difficulty is well-tuned but potentially a bit on the easy side but not so easy as to become boring - the timing elements of combat keep it engaging.
Level Design: 8/10. Pretty good, most puzzles were pretty enjoyable, but nothing exceptionally fancy. Room setups were intuitive and I never got lost, which is both a plus and a minus as some people might prefer less linearity.

Final score: 8.2/10, will return to platinum it

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I booted up Persona 5 Strikers last night because it's on the list of PS+ Essential games I wanted to try before I let my subscription end in about a year and a half. I am not a fan, at all. I was expecting it to be more like a traditional musou game, but instead I was met with 2+ hours of nonstop tutorial messages about the damn near infinite number of systems and mechanics within the game. I wound up quitting halfway through the first dungeon because I was bored to tears.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I booted up Persona 5 Strikers last night because it's on the list of PS+ Essential games I wanted to try before I let my subscription end in about a year and a half. I am not a fan, at all. I was expecting it to be more like a traditional musou game, but instead I was met with 2+ hours of nonstop tutorial messages about the damn near infinite number of systems and mechanics within the game. I wound up quitting halfway through the first dungeon because I was bored to tears.
Reminds me of Xenoblade. I did come to enjoy that series in the end, but being bombarded with tutorial messages and systems, one after the other, for hours is not it.

Either you need to let some of that complexity go, or introduce it more naturally, and over a longer time frame. I don’t play videogames to go to class to learn how to play videogames, lol.

Reactions: toadsage44

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Started baldurs gate 3, character creator took me a while.

Gonna take my time with the game, but if I can't finish it before Spiderman 2, gonna have to put it on hold.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway