Xbox fanatics social media meltdowns in regards to 3rd party move and other losses |OT| "When fiction meets reality.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
What the hell does xbox deserve praise for? Destin is such a dumbass, Phil already gets all these undeserved awards and yet xbox is failing. Praise is reserved for winners and xbox isn't capable of providing the games that would make it a winner as long as phil is in charge.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
GK0TjMaXEAAJkX_
🤣😂

Reactions: Puff

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Ok guys enough with the Xbox hate. That brand is the best thing that happened to the industry. And Phil Spencer is a MAN that deserves respect. I can't think of any executive in the entire videogame industry capable of producing this reaction:
This is the WIN that will transcend generations in the life of this man, and it's better than merely 'winning' an obsolete console war.... POWER YOUR DREAMS, and damn it, Phil just makes dreams come to reality.

24 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy is Playstation and Playstation is Final Fantasy. GT and FF are more inherent to Playstation brand identity than the new age garbage of horizons and last of us's, sales numbers be damned. ResetEra keyboard marketers don't understand why FF exclusivity is important but Sony does and that is why they go after it instead of spending on yakuza or persona.

Eh.

At the end of the day, FF is a 3P IP so it's not something Sony has inherent control over. That doesn't just mean in terms of what platforms aside PlayStation it goes to, but also design decisions and overall quality consistency. The IP itself is strongly associated with PlayStation but despite all the universal praise Rebirth has gotten, it's also the only Final Fantasy in the last several years to have gotten such universal praise across the board.

So IMO, if Sony want to continue keeping big FF games exclusive to PlayStation consoles, they need to also make sure there is a consistency in the branding and quality of the releases, meaning they should maybe be more involved in the design process of the games themselves. You know, like how Japan Studio was for Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

I don't think Sony or especially Square-Enix can afford that many more polarizing releases like XVI or XV, because I think that over time does hurt market perception of latter releases even if those newer releases fix things the previous games messed up. Like with XVI; critics mostly quite enjoyed it, but I'm not gonna deny there were large parts of the fanbase who weren't feeling the design changes from previous entries. That's nothing to do with quality, simply a difference in preference.

Otherwise, and again this is just my opinion, but if Sony aren't willing to engage in some co-development of future big FF games the way they did in the past with From Software games, and Square-Enix corporate types want to push for other platforms for multiplat releases (or else ask for even more money from Sony for timed exclusivity)....I think Sony would just be better off making their own JRPG. They could still definitely get marketing rights globally for those future big Final Fantasy titles, but otherwise use that timed exclusivity money to invest in your own IP that could fill the JRPG niche.

And it's not like Sony don't have that IP. Dark Cloud. Legend of Dragoon. Okage. PoPoLocrois. Arc the Lad. Wild ARMS. Rogue Galaxy. White Knight Chronicles. They can co-develop sensible AA-tier entries in those IP with devs like Level 5. Heck, they can still partner with Square-Enix for example for JRPG exclusives of IP strongly associated with PlayStation like Parasite Eve or Xenogears, which could probably be done well as high-budget AA games and would be IP Square-Enix would prob be a lot more chill with in being timed or even full PS exclusives.

That's kinda where I'm at with the PlayStation/Final Fantasy stuff these days. The IP obviously has a lot of importance to PlayStation, but is that importance enough to really keep pushing for what will likely be more expensive timed exclusives, when Sony want to rely more on their own games and Square-Enix leadership want to do what they feel's best to prioritize more revenue/profit? Maybe Sony should do a strategic partnership with Square-Enix at large like how Microsoft's done with SEGA/Atlus, but more substantive.

That way they still get global marketing rights to stuff like mainline FF games, but also maybe do some co-development for exclusives in IP like Parasite Eve or PoPoLocrois. I can probably see Nintendo doing something similar, but with Dragon Quest IP. And at least this way people like Jez Corden could finally STFU about not having Final Fantasy games on Xbox Day 1. Not that it'd make much a difference for the console prospects there, something that constantly gets overlooked.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Ok guys enough with the Xbox hate. That brand is the best thing that happened to the industry. And Phil Spencer is a MAN that deserves respect. I can't think of any executive in the entire videogame industry capable of producing this reaction:
This is the WIN that will transcend generations in the life of this man, and it's better than merely 'winning' an obsolete console war.... POWER YOUR DREAMS, and damn it, Phil just makes dreams come to reality.
This was a troll right????

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Friend's journey:
  • Bought latest Farming Sim, 22/23? on Google Stadia cause he didn't have a console.
  • Migrated to GP to continue playing on phone on XB pad.
  • Bought my XBSX to play on tv.
  • Now wants a ROG alley after playing on mine. Primarily for PC mods for Farming Sim, but here's the kicker...
This ROG Alley play sessions was followed closely by the next few quick realisations:
  1. "no paying XBLGold or GP subs"
  2. "Cheaper price on PC"
  3. "only place I can get mods"
  4. "Get access to PS/PC/XB games"
  5. "portable so not always on tv/can get comfier"
This is, essentially, a casual "One-Game-er" and live long XB kid when he would play more games in his youth. And even he "gets it", eventually.

Sony better get a proper PS Portable out, and treat Portal like a canary in the coalmine product.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Friend's journey:
  • Bought latest Farming Sim, 22/23? on Google Stadia cause he didn't have a console.
  • Migrated to GP to continue playing on phone on XB pad.
  • Bought my XBSX to play on tv.
  • Now wants a ROG alley after playing on mine. Primarily for PC mods for Farming Sim, but here's the kicker...
This ROG Alley play sessions was followed closely by the next few quick realisations:
  1. "no paying XBLGold or GP subs"
  2. "Cheaper price on PC"
  3. "only place I can get mods"
  4. "Get access to PS/PC/XB games"
  5. "portable so not always on tv/can get comfier"
This is, essentially, a casual "One-Game-er" and live long XB kid when he would play more games in his youth. And even he "gets it", eventually.

Sony better get a proper PS Portable out, and treat Portal like a canary in the coalmine product.
Nice.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Final Fantasy discourse has been sooooo insufferable and we all know why. They really dogpiling SE because sales weren't record breaking. Little do they know the worse it does, the less likely they will invest in a port. Zhuge and Jeff Grubb and farming the rebirth sales doom on twitter over the past few days. One of the best Square games of all time, and this is what the discussion is focused on. Didn't know your game has to be a commercial success to appreciate it.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Didn't know your game has to be a commercial success to appreciate it.
This literally only ever applies to PlayStation exclusives. 99% of AAA games don't sell close to what PS exclusives do, but they never receive any of this treatment. Xbox fanboys know they can never win a sales argument, so they go extra hard to hate on PS game sales. I guarantee if FF16 and FF 7 Rebirth sold the exact same amount of units, but on Xbox/PC/PS5 instead of just PS5, everyone would laud them as great successes like they do with Dragons Dogma 2, Persona, Yakuza, Resident Evil, etc.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This literally only ever applies to PlayStation exclusives. 99% of AAA games don't sell close to what PS exclusives do, but they never receive any of this treatment. Xbox fanboys know they can never win a sales argument, so they go extra hard to hate on PS game sales. I guarantee if FF16 and FF 7 Rebirth sold the exact same amount of units, but on Xbox/PC/PS5 instead of just PS5, everyone would laud them as great successes like they do with Dragons Dogma 2, Persona, Yakuza, Resident Evil, etc.
Playstation makes up probably 75% of the JRPG consumer base. PS kick started two of the biggest ones (FF,Persona) yet they act like these games are flops without Xbox and PC. Will the new square games end up on new systems, likely yes. But I don't think its as important as many want it to seem, Square has always been the type to take money from a console maker to reduce development costs. It's just now every one wants to be pissy about it and act like their games are flops.

The hyperfixation on FF is my least favorite discourse on places like this. because it's always been a niche series with a cult following, but for some reason that cult cannot accept that from a popularity standpoint, FF is well past it's prime. But quality-wise(the one that actually matters) its never been better.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Final Fantasy discourse has been sooooo insufferable and we all know why. They really dogpiling SE because sales weren't record breaking. Little do they know the worse it does, the less likely they will invest in a port. Zhuge and Jeff Grubb and farming the rebirth sales doom on twitter over the past few days. One of the best Square games of all time, and this is what the discussion is focused on. Didn't know your game has to be a commercial success to appreciate it.
Two of the best games in the past 12 months: FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth. Xbots mad as hell.