Helldivers 2 port begging from xbox fanboys is insane!

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Mostly talking about the numbers HD2 did on PC. Doesn't make sense they would look at those number on PC and PS5 and then lowball for a subscription on Xbox. And again, GoW is gonna be just shy of two years old by time it comes to PC, like their other ports. I think I'm struggling to see the correlation between expecting a newly released game to sell the same as a 2 year old port. Even though it's GaaS HD2 showed it can sell copies so there's no real need to throw it to a subscription. I would sooner believe an Xbox port than it launching day one on GP on Xbox
I'm not saying it's a good idea at all, I'm just saying that modern Sony is stupid enough to do it. Yeah GoW is a 2 year old port, but HD2 would be a 6 month old port, and gaas games age much quicker than single player stuff. Especially now that HD2 is at its all time lowest and can barely break 30k ccu on Steam these days. Palworld got 5m players from GamePass, so HD2 easily could as well. It could start a resurgence that they then roll into a Switch 2 release to constantly keep hype up.

Man if Sony can finesse 200+ million for helldivers 2 from xbox then I can't even get mad, it would be foolish to do but would be funny to the extremes
I agree, it would be foolish but also perfectly on brand with how Sony operates these days.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
With current Sony leadership they would be dumb enough to do this.

Same way MLB went to Xbox and gamepass and not PS plus.

Unless the MLB owns the Helldivers IP I don’t see how it lands on gamepass or Xbox. It won’t happen.

Now, if a lego Helldivers games is ever released maybe it’ll get a Switch 2 release.

26 Nov 2023
I'm not saying it's a good idea at all, I'm just saying that modern Sony is stupid enough to do it. Yeah GoW is a 2 year old port, but HD2 would be a 6 month old port, and gaas games age much quicker than single player stuff. Especially now that HD2 is at its all time lowest and can barely break 30k ccu on Steam these days. Palworld got 5m players from GamePass, so HD2 easily could as well. It could start a resurgence that they then roll into a Switch 2 release to constantly keep hype up.

lol I think the difference here is the amount of faith we have in Sony to not do something dumb 😂

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
Apparently it wasn’t a Sony decision so we’ve been told. The game was on on gamepass too.

I know about the affects of day one games on a service has. The point is it’s a very bad look to have your own game on gamepass but not ps plus.
It looks bad to people who don't understand that the MLB calls the shots with that game and everything else using the MLB brand. If someone doesn't understand that, then that person isn't worth thinking about because logic and critical thinking is missing. I think most (non-disingenuous) people understand the situation.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
It looks bad to people who don't understand that the MLB calls the shots with that game and everything else using the MLB brand. If someone doesn't understand that, then that person isn't worth thinking about because logic and critical thinking is missing. I think most (non-disingenuous) people understand the situation.

I don’t fully believe that story about MLB. Was there a source with MLB and Sony directly stating that?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I don’t fully believe that story about MLB. Was there a source with MLB and Sony directly stating that?

It helps when you don't form opinions based on your own biases...

WILL MORE PLAYSTATION GAMES COME TO XBOX GAME PASS? ANALYSTS WEIGH IN ON MLB DEAL

“As part of the goal for this year’s game, MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players and baseball fans,” a PlayStation representative tells Inverse. “This decision provides a unique opportunity to further establish MLB The Show as the premier brand for baseball video games.”

Sony Interactive Entertainment agreed to support more platforms when it renewed its license agreement with MLB in late 2019. MLB appears to have gone further to get the game in the hands of as many players as possible.

Omdia Principal Analyst George Jijiashvili tells Inverse this move is primarily about expanding the series’ reach. “This is all about MLB finding a bigger audience, which took precedence over console manufacturer jousting,” he explains.

Ampere Analysis Research Director Piers Harding-Rolls considers this a practical move on MLB’s part. “From MLB’s point of view, this makes commercial sense as it opens up the content to a lot more players, especially in the US, but also keeps the established studio working on the game,” Harding-Rolls explains.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MLB the show going on Xbox and GamePass wasn't a Sony decision. I don't know why people keep having to be told this. Also, Sony is not going to be putting up new or new-ish AAA first party studio games on PS+. They learned that the studio loses money when that happens (Horizon).

I know male centric hobbies tend to have very weird men, especially when brands are involved, but God damn. Why is the Xbox community this fucking weird. Like bro, come the fuck on.

Apparently it wasn’t a Sony decision so we’ve been told. The game was on on gamepass too.

I know about the affects of day one games on a service has. The point is it’s a very bad look to have your own game on gamepass but not ps plus.

Sony looked very weak when MLB was announced for gamepass. And still does. I know why it’s not on ps plus.

They should’ve tried harder not to end up in this situation. If they're even bothered by it or didn’t want it to happen anyway.

Like I said current Sony leadership would approve of all these things.

I'm going to push back on this narrative that "MLB made The Show go to Xbox game pass" - Sony had to agree to it. It takes two to tango in a contract and Sony decided not to risk their money; they could easily have taken their baseball and went home in the way that EA did with FIFA. Ofc that would take actual effort, so Sony instead rolled over and let themselves get f'ed in the ass.

Reactions: On Demand

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'm going to push back on this narrative that "MLB made The Show go to Xbox game pass" - Sony had to agree to it. It takes two to tango in a contract and Sony decided not to risk their money; they could easily have taken their baseball and went home in the way that EA did with FIFA. Ofc that would take actual effort, so Sony instead rolled over and let themselves get f'ed in the ass.

It's bad takes like these that make people non-credible.

There is a huge difference between FIFA and MLB.

EA still has the licenses to the individual leagues and the national teams and all of the players.

MLB and MLBPA negotiate their licensure together. Putting out Baseball 21 would have been a broken game. MLB has way more direct leverage than FIFA and even the risks involved with losing the FIFA title haven't been fully realized and won't be until FIFA partners with a new publisher and puts out a competitor. There is zero chance that Baseball 21 would have survived against a properly licensed MLB game.

The fact that you've come up with this take shows how little you know about soccer, baseball, and the business elements of this.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's bad takes like these that make people non-credible.

There is a huge difference between FIFA and MLB.

EA still has the licenses to the individual leagues and the national teams and all of the players.

MLB and MLBPA negotiate their licensure together. Putting out Baseball 21 would have been a broken game. MLB has way more direct leverage than FIFA and even the risks involved with losing the FIFA title haven't been fully realized and won't be until FIFA partners with a new publisher and puts out a competitor. There is zero chance that Baseball 21 would have survived against a properly licensed MLB game.

The fact that you've come up with this take shows how little you know about soccer, baseball, and the business elements of this.
Cool story bro. Sony could have tasked San Diego with some other sports game than MLB.

It's hilarious the narrative that Sony has absolutely no leverage in these negotiations despite being the one that created a successful product. They should have forced MLB to make the difficult decision.

• Informative

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Cool story bro. Sony could have tasked San Diego with some other sports game than MLB.

It's hilarious the narrative that Sony has absolutely no leverage in these negotiations despite being the one that created a successful product. They should have forced MLB to make the difficult decision.

Again, that's a real shit take.

San Diego studios has been making baseball games for over 20 years. There is MASSIVE risk in throwing away what they've built and starting from ground zero.

You know how you can tell that is a shit take?

What sports should they have made a game for? The market is cemented.

The biggest sports in the United States are

Football - EA has an exclusive contract with the NFL
NBA - 2K has a billion dollar contract with the NBA which is likely exclusive
MLB - This is the contract Sony has
NHL - Weakest by far out of the big 4, but again EA likely has an exclusive license here

Outside of the big 4 and North America, you have soccer obviously and that is where FIFA was dominant and now EA FC. So you weren't jumping in there either.

So again, what sport should they have jumped into? They had little to no leverage. Obviously MLB preferred to keep working with them, but if that ended they could have easily went back to EA and brought back Triple Play baseball or to 2K Sports and done MLB 2K. MLB had options, Sony did not. And even if some of these contracts weren't exclusive, why would sony want to spend a billion dollars trying to take on market share from another game that would ALSO have to be multiplatform and compete with a staple (only to reduce their 30 percent cut of those sales too).

Make it make sense... or just concede that you're wrong.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Since they’re both business partners Sony should’ve, or could’ve, negotiated no, that they don’t believe bringing it to more platforms is a good idea.

That gamepass deal would be an automatic he’ll no.

That's the difference between fanboys and business people.

Saying no to MLB would have likely meant losing out on tens of millions of dollars in profit and probably cost 100+ people their jobs with San Diego Studio closing down, but at least Sony could say their game wasn't on GamePass or Xbox right?

Like how can you say something so ridiculous and not stop to think... yeah, maybe I'm just not right here.

Saying no to MLB would have been malpractice. It's easily one of Sony's best selling games EVERY year. They're almost certainly making MORE money off of it now than they did before.

The only ones butthurt over it is fanboys who don't even play the game...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Again, that's a real shit take.

San Diego studios has been making baseball games for over 20 years. There is MASSIVE risk in throwing away what they've built and starting from ground zero.

You know how you can tell that is a shit take?

What sports should they have made a game for? The market is cemented.

The biggest sports in the United States are

Football - EA has an exclusive contract with the NFL
NBA - 2K has a billion dollar contract with the NBA which is likely exclusive
MLB - This is the contract Sony has
NHL - Weakest by far out of the big 4, but again EA likely has an exclusive license here

Outside of the big 4 and North America, you have soccer obviously and that is where FIFA was dominant and now EA FC. So you weren't jumping in there either.

So again, what sport should they have jumped into? They had little to no leverage. Obviously MLB preferred to keep working with them, but if that ended they could have easily went back to EA and brought back Triple Play baseball or to 2K Sports and done MLB 2K. MLB had options, Sony did not. And even if some of these contracts weren't exclusive, why would sony want to spend a billion dollars trying to take on market share from another game that would ALSO have to be multiplatform and compete with a staple (only to reduce their 30 percent cut of those sales too).

Make it make sense... or just concede that you're wrong.
What's the real shit take is the idea that Sony is so short sighted that they directly contribute to gamepass, which at the time was threatening to gain a full head of steam and completely undermine Sony's entire business model. MLB is a profitable game but not as profitable as their entire b2p portfolio+ 3rd party. I would have shut down the studio rather than be forced to make a popular game and put it on gamepass

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What's the real shit take is the idea that Sony is so short sighted that they directly contribute to gamepass, which at the time was threatening to gain a full head of steam and completely undermine Sony's entire business model. MLB is a profitable game but not as profitable as their entire b2p portfolio+ 3rd party. I would have shut down the studio rather than be forced to make a popular game and put it on gamepass

Or or or... Sony made the proper calculation that the fanbase that buys MLB The Show weren't going to jump ship over the game being on GamePass and that giving up on the franchise and the studio would have been a major overreaction, which turns out it would have been.

Especially when MLB could get someone else to make the game and STILL put it on GamePass...

This is nonsensical.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Or or or... Sony made the proper calculation that the fanbase that buys MLB The Show weren't going to jump ship over the game being on GamePass and that giving up on the franchise and the studio would have been a major overreaction, which turns out it would have been.

Especially when MLB could get someone else to make the game and STILL put it on GamePass...

This is nonsensical.
Yes, how long would that take? Several years minimum to spin up a studio and go through production. They were incredibly lucky that the Bethesda+Activision acquisitions turned out to be huge albatrosses/failures or we'd be singing a different tune right now.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Yeah its not as if mlb is like the fifa license, mlb is only popular in the states but asking Sony to show some spine against the yanks is not gonna happen. SIE sold its soul to american cuckery

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes, how long would that take? Several years minimum to spin up a studio and go through production. They were incredibly lucky that the Bethesda+Activision acquisitions turned out to be huge albatrosses/failures or we'd be singing a different tune right now.

Yes, all over MLB The Show...

LOL, to assume people would jump ship, you'd have to look at a couple things.

A) How many people already bought PS5s to play the game (i.e. the active PS5 player base)
B) How many people were still playing it on the PS4 (i.e. potential new PS5 owners)

With A you'd have to spend another 500 dollars on a console just for one game, which is super unlikely. Sony almost certainly has metrics around how many people buy MLB the show and only MLB the Show.

You'd give up any sense of progression as well as trophies and friend lists.

Again you're overreacting from pure bias and everything you've said has been refuted to the point where you don't even want to address what you said, like Sony should have chosen a new sport.

Why would EA or 2K need to spin up a new studio? They already have baseball games. You do new character models, use the existing engine and you have your baseball game up in running in a year. Again... you don't know what you're talking about here, but you keep doubling down.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes, all over MLB The Show...

LOL, to assume people would jump ship, you'd have to look at a couple things.

A) How many people already bought PS5s to play the game (i.e. the active PS5 player base)
B) How many people were still playing it on the PS4 (i.e. potential new PS5 owners)

With A you'd have to spend another 500 dollars on a console just for one game, which is super unlikely. Sony almost certainly has metrics around how many people buy MLB the show and only MLB the Show.

You'd give up any sense of progression as well as trophies and friend lists.

Again you're overreacting from pure bias and everything you've said has been refuted to the point where you don't even want to address what you said, like Sony should have chosen a new sport.

Why would EA or 2K need to spin up a new studio? They already have baseball games. You do new character models, use the existing engine and you have your baseball game up in running in a year. Again... you don't know what you're talking about here, but you keep doubling down.
And then you have to look at how much $ MLB is risking by going to another publisher with the license. Several years of no game revenue vs a check from Microsoft for a few million$.. gee it's like you are negotiating from a perspective of Sony being the only ones to lose. The first rule of negotiations is you always have to be willing to get up from the table, Sony should have been willing to do that since overall MLB is small money compared to their business model. You can say they made calculations all you want but at the end of the day Sony had leverage they didn't want to use because their current leadership has no sense of urgency and would rather pick up pennies by porting stuff to PC than preserve their wallet full of hundreds of dollars on console.