Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition launches on PS5 October 6, and comes to PC early 2024

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
As the Xbox leaks have shown us, what is said to investors (and sometimes, even internally) does not necessarily align with reality.
Statistically speaking this ethomaz dude is wrong

Whats happening with xbox is clear evidence

Xbox 360 game sales used to curbstomp ps3 game sales week in week out

Ever since xbox announced their unifying pc and xbox platform thats when i noticed their game sales decline to the point Xbox becoming too embarassed and refuses to report their sales anymore and have to resort to users engagement

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
The $200 million in profit all their PC ports brought in FY 2022 was barely enough to fund another HFW.

And keep in mind, any AAA game just being greenlit and starting dev this year, that isn't able to re-use assets from an existing game and needs engine customizations, won't realistically see release until probably 2028.
Barely enough?

That's still enough.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
As the Xbox leaks have shown us, what is said to investors (and sometimes, even internally) does not necessarily align with reality.
You're conflating a miscalculation of future events with somehow missing real-time data.

They're not losing customers, fam, it's an observable fact. Good grief.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Barely enough?

That's still enough.
Bro stop 😂🤣😂 you’ll never convince anyone with a brain that making a measly 50m dollars from the greatest games in the industry will ever be good. You can frame it as “broooo it’s fwee money!!!!” all you want but we all know that’s abysmal for games that generate upwards of 500M on console.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Ever since xbox announced their unifying pc and xbox platform thats when i noticed their game sales decline to the point Xbox becoming too embarassed and refuses to report their sales anymore and have to resort to users engagement

Maybe you only started paying attention to Xbox in 2020? They've been shit a lot longer than this.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I feel it's too soon for Horizon PC because it's a PS5 Showcase. The first game you play when you get a PS5 to look at the amazing graphics.

Ratchet came and went and this will be the same. I predict it will sell less than half of the first PC port.
It's gonna look sooooooo goood on Steam....

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Xbox started dropping the ball around 2010/11 game wise.They lost key momentum before the launch of the xbox one and the rest is history.

PC ports don't have much of an impact. If anything, made some of their aging franchises .ore relevant.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Bro stop 😂🤣😂 you’ll never convince anyone with a brain that making a measly 50m dollars from the greatest games in the industry will ever be good. You can frame it as “broooo it’s fwee money!!!!” all you want but we all know that’s abysmal for games that generate upwards of 500M on console.
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am telling you, from their perspective, why they see it as a net positive. You choosing not to see it that way is no skin off my back. But the fact is, they get more money for the gaming division, it goes into funding other games, it looks good to investors. Pretending it's abysmal and they get nothing out of it is plain ignorance.

If you wish to wallow in it to make yourselves feel better by being miserable, that's a choice you can make, I suppose. But the constant group therapy sessions every time Sony announces a PC port is getting old.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022

At this rate, while I'm interested in a PS6 WRT potential technical and feature capabilities, it's becoming a no-go in terms of something I'd actually buy. Since I don't have FOMO, Sony are making it ridiculously easy for me to consolidate my gaming on PC, but that also means they won't be getting PS+ or 3P sales revenue from me at that point, either (unless they push their own storefront on PC and make it extremely competitive with Steam).

So I can only speak for myself in this type of context, but the irony is I'd of had zero issue with them taking a more Nintendo-like approach in where they placed their software and prioritized it over the long-term. I'd have no issue buying a PS6 if I knew it being a requirement to play their games, even without FOMO. But it is what it is. We'll see if things change with their strategy on this front next year, but I'm not counting on it.

Its so weird, though. Sony mainly took cues from Nintendo's business strategies when putting out the PS1, PS2 etc. and made smart changes where needed. The success of that was clearly evident in the market performance of those titles. OTOH, Microsoft took cues mainly from Sega's business strategies for OG Xbox, 360, and XBO, with a few adjustments here and there. You can correlate the market performance for ALL of their systems to equivalent Sega consoles: OG Xbox = Master System. 360 = Genesis. XBO = Saturn. Series = Dreamcast. And like with Sega only one platform/business period was particularly mega-successful, the 2nd one. Which, as we've come to find out lately, at least in terms of console hardware sales the Genesis wasn't as much a bonafide success as initially thought, and I think the same can be said for 360 when you factor out the "boost" of RROD, or the Kinect boost, seeing its sales trajectory without those in the picture.

So why is Sony taking more from Microsoft's model, which is largely based on Sega's model, which was not particularly successful in the console space? MS can afford that type of platform model because of their sheer size in other key markets, low reliance on gaming revenue & profit as a whole, and having a stranglehold of sorts on PC gaming (which for MS is analogous to Sega's presence in the arcade market during the '80s and '90s, but much more pronounced because Windows isn't "just" for gaming). Sony can't afford that strategy without eventual cannibalization seriously impacting them in some negative way.

I guess the next 2-3 years will be very telling as to whether I'm right or wrong on this, because like with Xbox, the results (good or bad; bad in the case of Xbox consoles) take a few years to bear out. Hopefully for Sony/PlayStation it goes better.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

What statistics? Console gamers are not moving to PC.
And I will say more... Xbox disappointed owners migrated to PS instead PC.... that is how the MS PC strategy worked for them :D (BTW the strategy is complete different from Sony one).

Xbox games sales where down since start... even at PS360 age with bigger userbase they reached at peak a 50/50 situation... whatever the PS userbase increased the sales of multiplatform games on PS3 started to shine over 360.

And after that it only gone downrill.
PC has nothing to do with that.

• haha
Reactions: Airbus

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I am telling you, from their perspective, why they see it as a net positive. You choosing not to see it that way is no skin off my back. But the fact is, they get more money for the gaming division, it goes into funding other games, it looks good to investors. Pretending it's abysmal and they get nothing out of it is plain ignorance.

If you wish to wallow in it to make yourselves feel better by being miserable, that's a choice you can make, I suppose. But the constant group therapy sessions every time Sony announces a PC port is getting old.
You’re trying to spin an L into a W, and doing a terrible job of it. I don’t care about the ports anymore, it’s only going to solidify Nintendo even more next year 😎 part of me feels bad for Sony and you PS fans but you guys brought it on yourselves.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nah 2012 they still have Halo 4 which collecting million copy sales record

Because it was the follow up to halo 3, of course it was going to sell. But while technically an amazing game (can't believe what 343 pulled off with the 360) it was how the franchise started losing its mojo.

Reducing game output and quality,Kinect being a flop and the fact that they released a console that was 100 USD more expensive and weaker...

Honestly can't understand how folks forget about that. That's a death blow in a console launch.

But some folks insist that Xbox is down vs the 360 days due to some PC ports...

Reactions: ethomaz

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'll be interested to see what Sony's future looks like in 10 years. AAA budgets are growing larger and more unsustainable, and take at least 5 years to make. As well as their large third party partners being bought out from under them. This leaves the CEO with having to grasp at straws to find some other revenue source. Hence Jim chasing recurring GAAS money which I think will fail.

MS now has mobile money with King.com, while Sony has failed to create a coherent mobile strategy for years which could solve the budget and market growth problem.

Nintendo seems to be the only player primed to stay on top, as their games cost so little to make but sell like hotcakes at full price, and they aren't reliant on third parties.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Because it was the follow up to halo 3, of course it was going to sell. But while technically an amazing game (can't believe what 343 pulled off with the 360) it was how the franchise started losing its mojo.
Nah because back than xbox are commited with x360

When they start doing that xbox and pc unification during xbox one thats when xbox game sales start to go bad somewhere in 2013-2014

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nah because back than xbox are commited with x360

When they start doing that xbox and pc unification during xbox one thats when xbox game sales start to go bad somewhere in 2013-2014

That's not the case. Day and date first party PC ports started to become a thing around 2016 with Forza Horizon 3 (play anywhere initiative) Before that, there were a couple of sporadic ports like Killer Instinct and a rushed port of Gears Ultimate edition.

Halo 5 never hit PC as well as games like Rare Replay.