Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition launches on PS5 October 6, and comes to PC early 2024

24 Jun 2022
Sony must love having people call their console useless under every post, really great marketing 😂🤣

They don't have anyone in their marketing community who can message positively to enthusiasts the way Xbox does (tho Xbox relies on heavy astroturfing to do it), and they don't have the innate nostalgia and independent space in the industry to be let to "do their own thing" with scores of fans to message for them in enthusiasts spaces the way Nintendo does.

So they have neither of those advantages, and this is the mess of disconnect that results. I don't feel sorry for Sony here, either; they've had more than enough time to realize this and at least get the messaging better set so people don't start thinking they're just Early Access paypigs by getting their games on their own console.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Jimbo : PC is competition to PS5

Herman : we should give all our exclusives to PC where they all bomb

Jimbo : great idea!
Dont forget jimbo giving them more leverage and at the same time deliver another upercut for us ps gamers

Jimbo literally asking us to ditch playstation and game on pc at this point

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
If you go to the comments section in the blog, most of the people are not pleased with the fact yet another PlayStation 1P exclusive is going to PC where it'll have better performance and contain both the game and DLC at a cheaper price than what console players spent Day 1 on both.

The feeling of being a second-class citizen in the ecosystem despite spending the most money in that same ecosystem...

The feeling of realizing you're basically getting milked as a whale of your cash so less loyal customers in the ecosystem can get the same content with more freedom and better features for cheaper...

... Xbox problems are increasingly becoming PlayStation problems.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If you go to the comments section in the blog, most of the people are not pleased with the fact yet another PlayStation 1P exclusive is going to PC where it'll have better performance and contain both the game and DLC at a cheaper price than what console players spent Day 1 on both.

The feeling of being a second-class citizen in the ecosystem despite spending the most money in that same ecosystem...

The feeling of realizing you're basically getting milked as a whale of your cash so less loyal customers in the ecosystem can get the same content with more freedom and better features for cheaper...

... Xbox problems are increasingly becoming PlayStation problems.
Imagine being this much of an entitled baby. Couldn't be me.

24 Jun 2022
Imagine being this much of an entitled baby. Couldn't be me.

So shareholders get to voice their say in a company's decision-making due to their financial investment, but actual gamers who purchase the console don't? Is that what you're trying to say?

The customers who spend the most in the ecosystem should be given priority at all times, and not just in the "we'll get them to pay more at launch!" type of priority. I mean genuine priority, that builds and maintains rapport with those enthusiasts who are spending the most on your product.

Right now, Sony are doing a pretty bad job at that IMO. Another PC port announced with no new 1P game reveal console owners can look forward to paired with it. PS Plus price increase by 33% across virtually all the tiers, with no new features or value-add announced to justify the increase. Re-releasing barely two-year-old games on console without an option for those who bought the game originally at full price to get the new content at a per-item price (i.e they are being paywalled behind a $60 re-release), or even perks to those customers for free to incentivize them to pick up the re-release if they already bought the original game & DLC at full price earlier.

I'm not sorry to say, that customers who feel the way you bolded, are 100% justified in feeling that way considering the financial investment they've put into the console, which is magnitudes more than those buying the games on PC are doing, or will probably ever do.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Didn’t feel like slogging through the first one even though I own the complete edition. Will gladly pick this up however.

• party
Reactions: flaccidsnake
D

Deleted member 223

By that logic, Xbox has no value at all.
cropped_KoLOL.gif

Factories shurning these outs daily like no tomorrow.

They don't have anyone in their marketing community who can message positively to enthusiasts the way Xbox does (tho Xbox relies on heavy astroturfing to do it), and they don't have the innate nostalgia and independent space in the industry to be let to "do their own thing" with scores of fans to message for them in enthusiasts spaces the way Nintendo does.

So they have neither of those advantages, and this is the mess of disconnect that results. I don't feel sorry for Sony here, either; they've had more than enough time to realize this and at least get the messaging better set so people don't start thinking they're just Early Access paypigs by getting their games on their own console.

The PS consumer has been reduced to an early access paypig. It's not an "impression", it's the factual truth. Thus it's clear why messaging the contrary is hard. You have to lie.

Xbox marketing dept is shameless which is why they market regardless to their ever shrinking base, and have to over-market everything they do to slow down a downward spiral of a terminally damaged brand.

The market is still consolidating around PlayStation on the high end, with Xbox being the loser bleeding, while both boxes bleed slowly to PC long-term (which is favorable to MS at any rate). If you told me from the high of the PS2 era that this would be the trajectory of high-end consoles I would have spat at your face. But this is the result of playing the long game the wrong way so... sooner or later it shows. The worst days lay ahead still, much further ahead. We're in the "feelers" phase of brand pain, damage, and adverse consumer conditioning. The effects take time to manifest, and certain catalysts to really exploit the weakness. PS6 territory, and beyond. A lot is banking on Nintendo and Valve staying in their "place", and not releasing a high-end console because reasons..... as well as Amazon/Apple/Google/Facebook not being interested in consoles as far as gaming is concerned (they want to disrupt the market and compete through other mediums - i.e cloud, VR). Finally Xbox is the "but worse" alternative, thus "controlled" opposition per say - figurative speaking. When you run a business assuming the state of competition stays a certain way for a long long time, and make detrimental moves within that period of time that damage your brand, you're just begging for trouble down the line, when, those assumptions no longer, factually, are what you thought they were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think folks are talking about 2 different things:

The PC port situation is just fanboys being salty as they lose ammo for the war. Nixxes will take care of the port so this wouldn't delay their other studios. Nixxes was bought precisely for that.

What they should be pissed about is Sony's radio silence about their single player 1st party exclusives beyond spiderman 2 and stuff like the ps plus increase of course.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Corporations make mistakes all the time. But still, we should be more nuanced about this. All the talks about future damages are pure speculations and they may or may not happen. PS5 is selling like hotcakes so I’m not that worried. What I’m more worried is the slippery slope that Jim Ryan might want to commit, the gap between the console and pc releases for now is 2 years, but it can be cut continuously and one day, we may see day and date release (this one is definitely damning though, Whoever thinks it’s not is just PC fans).

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
I think folks are talking about 2 different things:

The PC port situation is just fanboys being salty as they lose ammo for the war. Nixxes will take care of the port so this wouldn't delay their other studios. Nixxes was bought precisely for that.

What they should be pissed about is Sony's radio silence about their single player 1st party exclusives beyond spiderman 2 and stuff like the ps plus increase of course.
Just like PC fans such as yourself wanting to see your precious platform grow, PS fanboys do want to see the playstation consoles prevail. Losing exclusive for fans can be dangrous to the console sales, so they do not like it. What’s wrong with it?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Just like PC fans such as yourself wanting to see your precious platform grow, PS fanboys do want to see the playstation consoles prevail. Losing exclusive for fans can be dangrous to the console sales, so they do not like it. What’s wrong with it?

The difference is that I don't give a rats ass if a game that's exclusive on PC releases on consoles. Why not? Look at Baldurs gate 3. That's great for the developer.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake