Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC port officially announced releases March 21. PC specifications detailed.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan literally said that PC is a competing platform for PlayStation.
And he added that it was very benefitial for them to expand their games to PC and that needed to it to grow their userbase, revenue and profitability beyond their console, because the console market is finite and even if they increase their console market share, grow the marketshare and their ARPU to record levels (something they are achieving) it wouldn't be enough. They needed to expand to PC, mobile and movies/tv shows to keep growing their revenue to keep their virtuous circle of reinvesting the revenue they generate to continue healthy and growing.

Also @Yurinka you, flaccidsnake & @Systemshock2023 wanting this full push for PC are also saying you want PlayStation to go through the same identity death spiral we've seen Xbox suffer through the past 8 or so years. I don't get how you can be a fan of PlayStation as a console platform but think the current PC push should continue in earnest or even accelerate to Day 1 for non-GaaS content.

And if you're totally fine with the 1-2 year gap, there's little reason to believe you wouldn't "suddenly" be okay with a smaller gap if leadership at the division said that's what they'd do. Because IMO you're less taking up a POV with your own independent beliefs, but rather just saying whatever fits the corporate narrative from up top. Kind of what we've seen people on another platform regularly do and only now are some of them balking against it, knowing the significance of recent rumors.
To accept facts like sales numbers, revenue, profit or release dates numbers has nothing to do with wanting something or not.

As an example Sony announced yesterday that PS had 123M MAU last month, which is the highest number they ever had. The total opposite of PS being doomed as some gaming flatearthers claim: they are better than ever and growing.

I'd prefer to keep them exclusive in PS, but I understand that they have over two dozen games under development most of them with budgets of hundreds of millions, plus 3rd party deals of all kinds and acquisition. This is a shit ton of money, so they need extra revenue and profit to pay this.

It's a fact that late PC ports of their SP games for them is a highly profitable business with zero negative effects for their console business, so I'm fine with this because I want them to spend all the money they want on the next GoW and make it a SP game with no paid DLCs or microtransactions and this will help this happen. And I also like to see that people who can't get a console because they live in certain country can play these games.

In the same way that I'd prefer them to keep away from GaaS but I know the market numbers and I know GaaS generate the majority of the game revenue and have the majority of players, so I understand that since they need to grow and expand to new areas they should invest in GaaS, because I know that if they'd get stuck in SP non-GaaS it would be a suicide because every year the game reven from addons (mostly from GaaS) grows replacing game sales revenue (a big portion from non-GaaS games). I won't play most of these MP shooters but I know a ton of people will love them because their devs are very talented and a ton of other people love MP shooters.

Same goes with physical vs digital games: I'd like to have digital games with colored instructions manuals with nice illustrations as they did decades ago. But digital sales are replacing to phisical sales, which already are a very small percentage. The pattern will continue, and very likely once PS6 gets released in 2027/2028 won't feature physical PS6 discs (but I assume it will have a disc reader addon for BC). I'll have to accept that there won't be a big enough market of physical games to make it worth it.

There is a difference between accepting reality and liking something. Acknowledging that something real exist doesn't equal to like it. And to dislike something doesn't mean you should reject reality and believe in some fantasy where things you don't like are suposed to be bad and harmful when facts prove they aren't.

And PS strategy has nothing to do with the Xbox one: the MS games have been way worse (at least in MC and sales) than the Sony ones during many years, so maybe people ran away from Xbox because their console exclusives aren't enough.

ALL MS games get released in PC, day one and included also day one in a game sub. So people have no reason to buy their console, and don't even need to buy their game because can get the sub in PC. In the case of Sony only some games are ported to PC, and they are released there 2 or more years (up to 10) after their original release on PS. Only some of the Sony games are available in their game sub, and normally years after their release. And if they want to play the available ones on the game sub from PC they must pay the 150/year more expensive tier and only have them via cloud gaming. Very different strategy.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Only games that sold in any number were the GOW port and Horizon ZD port.

If this flops we will know that there is no real potential on pc for PlayStation titles.

The fact that undermines PlayStation as a platform is a separate issue and very real. I dont know how they can look at the last 5 ports and be happy with the sales.

Not to mention pirating and pc users porting Spiderman 2 without consent.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

If this flops we will know that there is no real potential on pc for PlayStation titles.

The fact that undermines PlayStation as a platform is a separate issue and very real. I dont know how they can look at the last 5 ports and be happy with the sales.

image.png

Last fiscal year SIE games made outside PS 67725M yen ($468.72M).

And in the first half of the current FY they made 37178M yen, vs 24082M in last year.

Meaning, in the first half of this FY they performed 54.38% better YoY, over a year where they generated almost half a billion.

All that thanks to a few ports of old games that did cost them a couple millions each and having bought a 7 years old shooter. And all this when their PS userbase keeps growing and last month achieved their biggest ever active userbase count, meaning the PC business isn't having any negative effect on their console business. They obviously are happy with it.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
image.png

Last fiscal year SIE games made outside PS 67725M yen ($468.72M).

And in the first half of the current FY they made 37178M yen, vs 24082M in last year.

Meaning, in the first half of this FY they performed 54.38% better YoY, over a year where they generated almost half a billion.

All that thanks to a few ports of old games that did cost them a couple millions each and having bought a 7 years old shooter. And all this when their PS userbase keeps growing and last month achieved their biggest ever active userbase count, meaning the PC business isn't having any negative effect on their console business. They obviously are happy with it.
Pocket-change!

If they are willing to sacrifice the long-term growth of the platform for such paltry revenue, good luck to them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pocket-change!

If they are willing to sacrifice the long-term growth of the platform for such paltry revenue, good luck to them.
They just posted an all time record in PS MAU, meaning their active userbase is bigger than ever in console. Their own platform is growing, not declining.

If there is any effect of the PC ports in the console is that it's increasing its userbase, plus console 1st party sales because they are also selliing better than ever.

Regarding the pocket change, regarding the long term you have the consider the 133 CAGR: it's growing a lot year after year, meaning it will be way more in the future. And then there will be the GaaS on top, some of them being in PC and some of them day one. So will grow even way more.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023

PS5 is still selling at a very healthy rate🤷 even with PC ports

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Pocket-change!

Long term growth
Exclusives library pulling towards console. Yeah 1 exclusive might not sell a console but 30 older exclusives on on ps? Yes.
I am not a fan of spreading thin of the franchises.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition on PC features unlocked frame rates, customizable graphics settings and a broad range of performance-enhancing technologies, including NVIDIA DLSS 3 upscaling and frame generation.Coming March 21.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition on PC features unlocked frame rates, customizable graphics settings and a broad range of performance-enhancing technologies, including NVIDIA DLSS 3 upscaling and frame generation. AMD FSR and Intel XeSS are also supported. For players with high-end hardware and extra headroom, image-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA is also available. The game leverages DirectStorage for quick loading times on PC.

On your journey in the far-future post-apocalyptic world of Horizon, you will discover a variety of highly detailed environments, including lush forests, sunken cities, vast deserts and impressive mountain ranges. With ultra-wide support, you’ll be able to take in the vistas in a panoramic view. Gameplay is supported in 21:9 ultra-wide, 32:9 super ultra-wide and even 48:9 resolutions with compatibility for triple-monitor setups.

Fully customizable mouse and keyboard controls let you traverse the Forbidden West and fight ferocious machines on your PC the way you want to. The game also features extensive controller support, including Steam Input support for remapping and customization of your peripheral of choice to your preferences. Use a PlayStation DualSense controller for the most immersive experience, with adaptive triggers that let you feel the tension in the string of your bow and haptic feedback that makes you feel the impact when you’re engaging in melee combat.

On behalf of everyone at Nixxes Software and Guerrilla, we can’t wait for you to jump back into the world of Aloy on PC! Head over to Steam or the Epic Games Store now to pre-purchase or wishlist the game.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Looks great. I don't know if I liked this game enough to double dip. They kinda fucked up Aloy as a character.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
March 21st - Horizon Forbidden West
March 22nd - Dragon's Dogma 2

What is it with Horizon and being released in close proximity to another big open world title, is this masochism? 🤔

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yeah it's definitely getting overshadowed on PC. But I want it to tank anyways, so good 😬

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Rise of the Ronin 1 day later. What these marketing guys smokes, wtf.

I doubt this is marketing, I think this release date is the bean counters that want to buff up the numbers before the end of the Fiscal Year ending on March 31st. This is why there's always a quadrillion Japanese games releasing in Q1.

But this is just short term thinking.
If you want your PC initiative to generate the maximum amount of revenue, you've got to be smarter.
This is yet another fumble by the guys at SIE.

This is the same shit kind of dumb thinking that cratered the sales of TLoU Part I on PC because they rushed the port out of the door.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'm on vacation on March but will check it out in April. The story of the first one got me hooked. Not sure if this game has similar hooks on the storyline to keep you going through the Ubisoftian open world.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I doubt this is marketing, I think this release date is the bean counters that want to buff up the numbers before the end of the Fiscal Year ending on March 31st. This is why there's always a quadrillion Japanese games releasing in Q1.

But this is just short term thinking.
If you want your PC initiative to generate the maximum amount of revenue, you've got to be smarter.
This is yet another fumble by the guys at SIE.

This is the same shit kind of dumb thinking that cratered the sales of TLoU Part I on PC because they rushed the port out of the door.
If you want your PC initiative to generate max revenue, release day and date.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
If you want your PC initiative to generate max revenue, release day and date.

Oops, probably the wrong phrasing by me there 😅 You're not wrong, but it's not their current strategy.
At the same time, even within their delayed port strategy, really questionable release quality/selection and pricing.
That's more what I meant.