Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Comparisons to what Sony is doing and what MS is doing are woefully inaccurate.

Bespoke exclusives are as old as consoles themselves. All platform holders do it, it’s a give and take scenario and part of healthy competition.

MS buying up massive chunks of the industry in perpetuity, well that’s a whole new ball game. Nobody in their right mind should support this in any scenario or industry.

Ms money can keep running at a loss to squeeze the competition and essentially strangle them into a shadow. They make noise and pretend it isn’t so, even give enough breathing room to give the illusion of competition all the while holding all the strings.
People doesn’t understand that level of investment is something nobody else will I’m the industry.

A platform holders in good shape has like $2-3 billion profit per year… how many years will take to recover a $70b?

It is a level of investment no other publisher or platform holder will do because they will never recover from it.

Unless you have another side of your business that prints money and you want to kill all the competition and dominate the market alone.

MS did that in a lot of others markets already… killed a lot of brands to become the sole option.

Wunderlist, Sunrise, Skype, etc just some names you guys probably don’t know.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Comparisons to what Sony is doing and what MS is doing are woefully inaccurate.

Bespoke exclusives are as old as consoles themselves. All platform holders do it, it’s a give and take scenario and part of healthy competition.

MS buying up massive chunks of the industry in perpetuity, well that’s a whole new ball game. Nobody in their right mind should support this in any scenario or industry.

Ms money can keep running at a loss to squeeze the competition and essentially strangle them into a shadow. They make noise and pretend it isn’t so, even give enough breathing room to give the illusion of competition all the while holding all the strings.
No COD map pack exclusives and buying the entire publisher are totally the same

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
It's what I expected from Phil and MSFT.... it's the double-speak that he is famous for and the reason nobody on the PS side trusted him from day 1.

I think it's potentially massively damaging to the industry to allow this acquisition to go through. EA has always been and remains a close ally of Xbox, with all their releases already included in gamepass, with Zenimax and then this to top it off, it's a clear overreach to me, how many more is too much?

1 publisher was already unprecedented. It's too late to close the stables after the horse has bolted, so I think regulators really need to dig in and not allow acquisitions to get out of control.

MSFT / Xbox has been incompetent at managing game development and it seems like they are determined to either own gaming or destroy it on their way out.

What must be pointed out to regulators is that Xbox has all the studios they need, in almost every major genre.... but they are particularly well off in terms of Shooters, RPG's and actions games...... Activision does not fill in any genre or area that they lack.

They are only buying due to the market power it affords them, they are buying market position as opposed to earning it, using money they earned in another industry where they hold a monopoly to buy beloved IP's and take them away from customers on other platforms and force them away from where they choose to game, where they have their friends, their back-catalog and trophies.... a history built over decades, to force them to subscribe to a service they never wanted or onto a console they dont want to play on.

In short it limits choice, hurts the industry, potentially pulls friend circles apart and is simply unfair as a business practice.
Quoting this for new page.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Glad Jimmy got that off his chest. Now suck it up and realize you're not in control here Jimbo. You're lucky Phil gave you 3 more years of guaranteed COD at all... You're not owed anything. COD isn't YOURS.

It's so obvious this is a last ditch effort from Sony to try to con MS into giving them longer guarantee than 3 years.... Jimbo's trying to buy all the time he can so he can mobilize some studios to fill the coming void.

After all the years of Sony using their power in the industry to screw Xbox gamers out of games with timed or outright exclusives, and exclusives modes and content for many games...

No remorse. It's time for MS to spice things up.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Glad Jimmy got that off his chest. Now suck it up and realize you're not in control here Jimbo. You're lucky Phil gave you 3 more years of guaranteed COD at all... You're not owed anything. COD isn't YOURS.

It's so obvious this is a last ditch effort from Sony to try to con MS into giving them longer guarantee than 3 years.... Jimbo's trying to buy all the time he can so he can mobilize some studios to fill the coming void.

After all the years of Sony using their power in the industry to screw Xbox gamers out of games with timed or outright exclusives, and exclusives modes and content for many games...

No remorse. It's time for MS to spice things up.
You bots sound so bitter. Imagine MS spent that $70 billion making good games instead of trying to buy their way out of the hole they dug themselves into

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
You bots sound so bitter. Imagine MS spent that $70 billion making good games instead of trying to buy their way out of the hole they dug themselves into
Don't get pissy because Activision wants to sell and Sony can't afford them.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It feels like there are many people expecting PlayStation to roll over and accept the deal without any resistance.
Lets see the reciepts.
Co-developing (financing?) a timed exclusive game in SH doesn't rustle my jimmies at all

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
My main issue with MS to be fair. No soul. I guess no execution follow-through either, but that's a different discussion.

Reactions: ethomaz

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
And if Sony merged with them you'd be saying how great it is, I assume?
If Sony merged with them then it would be what it is. I would 100% understand Sony wanting that and pursuing it.

And if the tables were turned and MS whined about Sony only guaranteeing them 3 more years of COD on top of the 3 that they already have... then I'd call MS out for it too.

Neither of them are owed anything.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
People doesn’t understand that level of investment is something nobody else will I’m the industry.

A platform holders in good shape has like $2-3 billion profit per year… how many years will take to recover a $70b?

It is a level of investment no other publisher or platform holder will do because they will never recover from it.

Unless you have another side of your business that prints money and you want to kill all the competition and dominate the market alone.

MS did that in a lot of others markets already… killed a lot of brands to become the sole option.

Wunderlist, Sunrise, Skype, etc just some names you guys probably don’t know.

This is no different than Sony entering the industry in the 90’s and using their non gaming money to buy their way in via moneyhats for games and also massively undercutting on licensing fees. This is common knowledge.

It’s very reminiscent of a few years ago when MS got a timed exclusive Tomb Raider deal and PS fanboys all around the world complained because “how DARE Xbox moneyhat a PlayStation franchise!!” completely ignoring the fact that Tomb Raider is only a PlayStation franchise because of a moneyhat deal.

Or more recently, all the tears here about MS buying studios but then you see a thread about Sony stake in FromSoftware and it’s “omg yes please! buy it all!!!”

There’s a double standard online with console warriors when it comes to this. It’s cute, but you people should be better.

• haha

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
MS buys Acti/Blizz
Sony buys Bungie

There are going to be deals on both sides to keep games on said platform. Its business as usual.

For this to be even now.... Sony would have to buy TakeTwo and Ubisoft. That's just my rough estimation.

Cant see it happening though.

Reactions: toadsage44

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
If Sony merged with them then it would be what it is. I would 100% understand Sony wanting that and pursuing it.

And if the tables were turned and MS whined about Sony only guaranteeing them 3 more years of COD on top of the 3 that they already have... then I'd call MS out for it too.

Neither of them are owed anything.
Nor are they owed acquiesence because they have the money to throw around. Either from a regulatory or a ethical position

Reactions: PropellerEar

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
This is no different than Sony entering the industry in the 90’s and using their non gaming money to buy their way in via moneyhats for games and also massively undercutting on licensing fees. This is common knowledge.

It’s very reminiscent of a few years ago when MS got a timed exclusive Tomb Raider deal and PS fanboys all around the world complained because “how DARE Xbox moneyhat a PlayStation franchise!!” completely ignoring the fact that Tomb Raider is only a PlayStation franchise because of a moneyhat deal.

Or more recently, all the tears here about MS buying studios but then you see a thread about Sony stake in FromSoftware and it’s “omg yes please! buy it all!!!”

There’s a double standard online with console warriors when it comes to this. It’s cute, but you people should be better.
Tomb Raider was never exclusive, and Sony undercutting on licensing was fair game. No different to Gamepass paying devs for games.

That's all standard competition.

Buying the biggest publisher in the industry is not standard

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Nor are they owed acquiesence because they have the money to throw around. Either from a regulatory or a ethical position
Who said they were?

Sony can cry all they want... they have the right.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
For this to be even now.... Sony would have to buy TakeTwo and Ubisoft. That's just my rough estimation.

Cant see it happening though.

Oh I know how different one is to the other in terms of scale.
I'm just saying it really is business - Phil can make a deal to have COD on PS, Jim can make a deal to have the future of Destiny on Xbox still.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Tomb Raider was never exclusive, and Sony undercutting on licensing was fair game. No different to Gamepass paying devs for games.

That's all standard competition.

Buying the biggest publisher in the industry is not standard

All fair and standard is my point. It was fine when Sony used money, it’s fine when MS does it.

And yes, Sony had a deal for console exclusive TR games after the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.