Requirement to use internal tools blamed for the state of Halo and Fable's delays

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes but they always side with the Xbox fans so in the end they are the same.

All of them.
Sure, that kinda makes sense since there is a relationship there, like I said, but ... what does he play on? He's made it pretty clear. 😛 He's not an "Xbox fan" but it makes sense that PC and Xbox people would tend to agree. For the most part.

And just to ask, why is that a problem? Neither side seems to be able to handle people not liking what they like.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sure, that kinda makes sense since there is a relationship there, like I said, but ... what does he play on? He's made it pretty clear. 😛 He's not an "Xbox fan" but it makes sense that PC and Xbox people would tend to agree. For the most part.

And just to ask, why is that a problem? Neither side seems to be able to handle people not liking what they like.
Well, the problem is that he's kind of an asshole to everyone who isn't into MS shit. So, he's been getting some pushback for a few days.

If one gives it, one has to take it, too.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because all the Xbox fans and PCMR get together to attack PS fans and downplay everything Sony does (until their games are on PC). It's always 2 VS 1 on forums. They make every place toxic.

I've never seen a neutral PCMR. They're all Xbox warriors in the closet.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Because all the Xbox fans and PCMR get together to attack PS fans and downplay everything Sony does (until their games are on PC). It's always 2 VS 1 on forums. They make every place toxic.

Indeed, PC and XBOX are one in the same tbh. Remember when XBOX was saying hardware don't matter it's the ecosystem, it was their plan to meld Windows PC and XBOX as one platform, hence the store, the xbox app on PC et al....

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

You're looking in the wrong places lol. I've been PCMR for the vast majority of my gaming career. I entered the console market last gen, first due to switch (which I barely use because as PCMR the framerates are basically unplayable), then xbox one to play co-op with some friends, then ps4 for ff7 remake. The truth is the "PCMR" on social media are likely hired guns, or former xbox fanboys who gave up hope but like a jilted ex still have a secret crush on xbox. I definitely prefer playstation, and after the xb1 generation it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another xbox, but that doesn't mean I like Sony as a corporation.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I don't want to be that guy, but I'll agree with @anonpuffs on this. True PCMR don't think ill of consoles for existing. Different use cases and all that.

But people who claim to be PCMR while singling out, say, Sony and "Sony guys" for example... yeah, that doesn't sound right. But those definitely are a minority.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I just wanted to say I know I've been hard on you on this site a couple times, but I like your posts. You are a good contributor, you like what you like and aren't afraid to say so. You are also respectful. I hope you stick around.
WTF, you never say this kind of stuff to me, it's always some disrespectful comment about fish and frying.

Stuff you @peter42O, and that dirty cat @Exanthus as well, stealing all my praise.

Also agree about @DoctaThompson, he is not an Xbox fanboy but rather one of those Pc stadia creatures, that might be worse. (sorry Doc) 😍

As for people constantly insulting @VFX_Veteran, i have said this before, give it a rest, it's OTT, besides he's my biach, and the only person that should be giving him grief is me, so hands off the old tart, he belongs to me.

pushed move over GIF by Blindspot

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
WTF, you never say this kind of stuff to me, it's always some disrespectful comment about fish and frying.

Stuff you @peter42O, and that dirty cat @Exanthus as well, stealing all my praise.

Also agree about @DoctaThompson, he is not an Xbox fanboy but rather one of those Pc stadia creatures, that might be worse. (sorry Doc) 😍

As for people constantly insulting @VFX_Veteran, i have said this before, give it a rest, it's OTT, besides he's my biach, and the only person that should be giving him grief is me, so hands off the old tart.

Black Cat GIF

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

As for people constantly insulting @VFX_Veteran, i have said this before, give it a rest, it's OTT, besides he's my biach, and the only person that should be giving him grief is me, so hands off the old tart, he belongs to me.

I like how you get mad at me for doing to you what you say you do to @VFX_Veteran lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I just want to say. Unreal Engine is not some panacea. Nor is it necessarily the way the best games are made.

I’m still under the impression that the best game studios and companies are those that also work with their own tools.

Like I get it. UE is popular and that skill set alone is valuable and usable for possible quicker results and perhaps less struggles in development. And it’s a good bet that’s what most new recruits will have experience with.

I’m sorta indifferent.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
MS just loves pain. I wonder how the media will react to those 0fps dips and stutters on Starfield. It's Beth, you know it's coming. Uhmmmm "Bugfield", brought to you by Pinocchio Phil and Todd Howardstein of Little Lies Inc.
It'll be brushed under the rug by the media.

Remember, Skyrim won Game of the Year despite being in a state that should never have been certified for release on a major platform. Bethesda has always gotten a free pass for building broken shit.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I just want to say. Unreal Engine is not some panacea. Nor is it necessarily the way the best games are made.

I’m still under the impression that the best game studios and companies are those that also work with their own tools.

Like I get it. UE is popular and that skill set alone is valuable and usable for possible quicker results and perhaps less struggles in development. And it’s a good bet that’s what most new recruits will have experience with.

I’m sorta indifferent.

Any game engine, the same way as any tool, is only as good as the people using it are. Also, a game engine that can be used to develop everything, from tycoon games to FPS, will not be as tailored to all uses cases as a custom engine can be. Then we also have the fact that we can't access those custom engines, like Decima for example, so we can't compare them to existing public tools to help determine if there's something objectively better or worse.

At the end of the day though, a properly managed project with talented people that are given as much free reign as possible without feature creep will outshine any game engine in the market. If you can't manage your game development, you can have the best engine on the planet and your game will very likely suck.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Any game engine, the same way as any tool, is only as good as the people using it are. Also, a game engine that can be used to develop everything, from tycoon games to FPS, will not be as tailored to all uses cases as a custom engine can be. Then we also have the fact that we can't access those custom engines, like Decima for example, so we can't compare them to existing public tools to help determine if there's something objectively better or worse.

At the end of the day though, a properly managed project with talented people that are given as much free rein as possible without feature creep will outshine any game engine in the market. If you can't manage your game development, you can have the best engine on the planet and your game will very likely suck.
The issue for the Halo games wasn’t the engine as much as the asset and level creation tools. Where most other FPS toolsets would have a level ready to do grey box testing with within a week or so, it took a month or more to get a map to where it could be tested, and the turnaround time for character models and weapons was similarly slow.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: thelastword