The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not reading any replies to me cuz you guys are seething just because not everyone likes that CW quality show. Just goes to show the team of artists, animators, and voice actors that made the game great really helped Druckman because clearly he can't write well on his own to save his life. Guess that's what happens when one person takes the sole credit for work that was done in a team.

Your arguments, no matter how valid they may be, fall flat when you compare this to a CW show. It's just absurd.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Clothing, like most things, will decay very fast without maintenance.

Those few who have the knowledge would go back to early or pre industrial methods.

Another big problem is that pretty much all easily accessible sources of fossil fuels and coal are long gone. Same for mines, and modern farming requires a lot of inputs from said fuel industry.

So let's say that they get that dam working, when a turbine breaks it's over for it (assuming they would make another one, they would probably not be able to get it back in place).
Again it's 20 years and not 100. There's a reason they are not dressed like it's Horizon Zero Dawn

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Again it's 20 years and not 100. There's a reason they are not dressed like it's Horizon Zero Dawn
Mildew and mold sets in after a few months of sitting exposed to the elements. You barely see any intact houses or stores in the game because the idea is that after all hell breaks loose people aren't gonna respect your pre apocalypse property rights. Maybe you can argue Fedra formed up extremely quickly and quelled enough looting and shit right after outbreak day but they didn't show that in the show. What they did show was an environment that is far too well-kept for what the setting dictates. You can say Fedra did an orderly "evacuation" in Bill's town but what about the rest of the US? Boston QZ looks like it's been through a war. They fucking bombed everything out.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That reason is TV, not logic.

I'm old neough to have had clothes for 20 years. If you are even slightly active these clothes will disintegrate well before 20 years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

I'm old neough to have had clothes for 20 years. If you are even slightly active these clothes will disintegrate well before 20 years.

I have t-shirts I regularly use, wash, and dry, that are 18 years old. They don't disintegrate.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I have t-shirts I regularly use, wash, and dry, that are 18 years old. They don't disintegrate.
People are handwashing their stuff now. No more electrical appliances. Ever seen someone scrub clothes on a washboard? It ain't exactly the gentle cycle.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
People are handwashing their stuff now. No more electrical appliances. Ever seen someone scrub clothes on a washboard? It ain't exactly the gentle cycle.
It’s a lot easier on clothes than machine drying them.

I hang-dry almost all my clothes, and I still have shirts I bought 2 years before my daughter was born, and she’s 23!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It’s a lot easier on clothes than machine drying them.

I hang-dry almost all my clothes, and I still have shirts I bought 2 years before my daughter was born, and she’s 23!
True, some of my shittier shirts develop holes within 5 years due to machine drying. Still... the point is that people's clothes shouldn't look like they just came out of a marshall's ad - and you know it. Again it's a minor point that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the show.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

Yeah I mean most clothes products are garbage mass produced low quality

Good quality clothes will last decades, especially leathers and hardier materials. And stuff just sitting on shelves will last even longer

Because it's a movie they aren't really considering the quality of H&M t shirts though are they?

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
True, some of my shittier shirts develop holes within 5 years due to machine drying. Still... the point is that people's clothes shouldn't look like they just came out of a marshall's ad - and you know it. Again it's a minor point that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the show.
Depending on how things were stored and in what climates, some things that are scavenged after a decade or more could still look new.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I actually wonder if people get upset when iron man breaks the laws of physics when he decelerates from mach 4 to a standstill in a second, and doesn't turn to mush. There's a thing called suspension of disbelief, and I find it much more likely that people can create clothes (something we've done for millennia) than, for example, being able to build a suit that can travel to the quantum world.

Just an extreme example, but seems to me like every single nitpick is used to criticise this show.

• they're_right_you_know

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I actually wonder if people get upset when iron man breaks the laws of physics when he decelerates from mach 4 to a standstill in a second, and doesn't turn to mush. There's a thing called suspension of disbelief, and I find it much more likely that people can create clothes (something we've done for millennia) than, for example, being able to build a suit that can travel to the quantum world.

Just an extreme example, but seems to me like every single nitpick is used to criticise this show.
Things that break suspension of disbelief should be criticized in things that are trying to achieve strong immersion, no? Imagine if they just had starbucks cups in every scene of Game of Thrones.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Things that break suspension of disbelief should be criticized in things that are trying to achieve strong immersion, no? Imagine if they just had starbucks cups in every scene of Game of Thrones.

You did have a Starbucks cup in a scene of game of thrones iirc.

Anyway, none of the stuff in the show is unrealistic so far, unless you want to count cordyceps infecting humans and mind controlling them. We had hand made jeans that lasted decades before mass production was a thing.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You did have a Starbucks cup in a scene of game of thrones iirc.

Anyway, none of the stuff in the show is unrealistic so far, unless you want to count cordyceps infecting humans and mind controlling them. We had hand made jeans that lasted decades before mass production was a thing.
yes, and it was a funny oversight. but what if there was a starbucks cup in every scene?

I'm not saying someone can't have clean or new clothes. I'm saying that EVERYONE having them takes me out of the scene.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
yes, and it was a funny oversight. but what if there was a starbucks cup in every scene?

I'm not saying someone can't have clean or new clothes. I'm saying that EVERYONE having them takes me out of the scene.

Joel's boots were disintegrating. People in the QZ had overall older clothes. So it's not everybody, it's everybody in a commune where they produce things.

• they're_right_you_know

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Joel's boots were disintegrating. People in the QZ had overall older clothes. So it's not everybody, it's everybody in a commune where they produce things.
My parents lived in a commune back in the 1970s. People were not clean in there, even with a fully working society around them.

They also got a lot of freeloaders and some people who were there to take advantage of the work others did (which is probably why they shoot people who try to come in so easily, freeloaders are worse than the infected).

Not to mention that most had to be on welfare to get money so they can buy stuff produced on the outside.

Now a 300 people village doesn't produce that much, without big machines most will end up farming or hunting (and after a very short amount of time there will be plenty of animals to hunt because there will be few humans left).

My parents left because that did not work.

Either way, I think a lot of these communities would spring up here and there, given the small number of people it would make little sense to even have money. For trade, but the system would likely end up to be like feudalism/servitude (which is what communist is like in practice).

So overall it kind of work.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Either way, I think a lot of these communities would spring up here and there, given the small number of people it would make little sense to even have money. For trade, but the system would likely end up to be like feudalism/servitude (which is what communist is like in practice).

That's not what communism is like. But ok. I don't want to engage in political discourse here.

Reactions: AshHunter216

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
My parents lived in a commune back in the 1970s. People were not clean in there, even with a fully working society around them.

They also got a lot of freeloaders and some people who were there to take advantage of the work others did (which is probably why they shoot people who try to come in so easily, freeloaders are worse than the infected).

Not to mention that most had to be on welfare to get money so they can buy stuff produced on the outside.

Now a 300 people village doesn't produce that much, without big machines most will end up farming or hunting (and after a very short amount of time there will be plenty of animals to hunt because there will be few humans left).

My parents left because that did not work.

So overall it kind of work.
A commune in the 70s of starving artist students is far different than a commune in an era where survival is key. Humanity lived in communal societies for thousands of years.

D

Deleted member 223

Finally caught up to seeing ep 6.

Second worst episode of the show so far. Overall a lot of cheap out.....nuanced details missing etc. Computer typed notes that should be hand written for some reason just annoy me the most - such an obvious detail. Overall however, the biggest thing wrong this episode 6 is that it's sped up so everything can fit into a single episode thus the big emotional punches fell flat, the build up, anticipation and pay off wasn't there on any of the story beats, except maybe the scene where Joel convinces Tommy to take Ellie - everything else was just flat flat. The University section was criminally cut short.

Just bad. The whole purpose of TV is that you can flesh out the drama, and provide more detail. This episode more or less failed at that by decisions made to cut the story short.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Finally caught up to seeing ep 6.

Second worst episode of the show so far. Overall a lot of cheap out.....nuanced details missing etc. Computer typed handwritten things that should be hand written for some reason just anoy me the most - such an obvious detail. Overall however, the biggest thing wrong this episode 5 is that is sped up everything to fit into a single episode thus the big emotional punches fell flat, the build up, anticipation and pay off wasn't there. The University section was criminally cut short.
Tell us you have no clue how adaptations work without saying you have no clue how adaptations work!