The Verge: Pentiment is set to be the first game to go multiplatform

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I've seen people argue that we should buy everything they port in order to encourage them to port everything, but I dunno, they may use that money to screw us over later.
Yeah Im not paying to fund Gamepass for Xbots. Its not sustainable, let them deal with that shit. I might get a 2nd hand copy of SoT

• Heart
Reactions: Loy310

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I've seen people argue that we should buy everything they port in order to encourage them to port everything, but I dunno, they may use that money to screw us over later.
You should buy what you want to play in the platforms you want to play with.

Throwing money at trillion-dollar corporations in an attempt to influence their decisions is a pretty dumb move from regular consumers.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
See, this is where I do not align, I don't think any competition, whether or not its good competition, should die. I personally don't count Nintendo as competition with PlayStation because they aren't in the same markets, the only one that is in the same market as PS is Xbox, and without Xbox. I do not think PlayStation will be as good as they are now, I may be nihilistic but I think without competition, one grows complacent far too easily. Phil Spencer dug Xbox back out of the grave that Don Mattrick put it in from that awful Xbox One reveal where they focused way too much on TV and Entertainment rather than Gaming. Phil definitely hasn't done a great job at all in leading Xbox since then, though, there is too much focus on cloud and play anywhere rather than games.

Sure, play anywhere is a great idea, and it works, but what is the point in playing anywhere when you have a hardware install base that wants you to give them something more to enjoy rather than undercooked games that should have been cancelled a la Redfall, I still feel so bad for Arkane Austin, they did NOT want to work on that mess of a game Zenimax threw on them all those years ago.

I suspect that anything to do with video games is viewed as competition by Sony - that includes Nintendo, PC, and even Xbox. From my perspective, MS has not provided 'good' competition. You can see that with their hardware sales and gaming output. Yes, there's been some critical successes (Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment) but there's been even more disappointments (Starfield, Redfall, Halo Infinite, etc.). Their Game Pass push (which was heavily astroturfed - best deal in gaming, increases game sales, etc.) introduced a model into the industry that they have admitted cannibalizes game sales and has been called "value-destructive" (to IPs) by figures in the gaming industry (eg. Bobby Kotick). It seems MS had a vision for the industry - adorably digital, sub service centered, and a bunch of other stuff many don't want. Buying publishers and making their offerings exclusive was another attempt to push (force) that vision whether people wanted it or not. Do you really see that as competition? I certainly don't.

In the meantime, Sony and Nintendo have been releasing hardware that people want and games that people want. They're both doing quite well. The idea that this would suddenly change if Xbox disappeared is not believable to me. Whether Xbox is there or not, there is always competition in the video games industry for peoples' time and money. I have no rancor towards people who prefer playing on Xbox. No problem with that whatsoever and I hope they continue being able to. However, I do have a problem with MS for buying publishers with the intent of forcing people into their ecosystem. And that's exactly what they tried to do with Zenimax and ABK. That is not competition. Sure, it's less of a big deal now, because they have to start porting their games (to actually make money for once instead of leaching off the stronger divisions within the company) but I (and many others here) are not going to forget what a shitshow they've introduced into our beloved hobby.

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Dj Khaled GIF

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Out of all the games to port … they chose this one. I mean come on… no one is buying this cheap flash shit.

Whatever … this is all gonna suck.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
I need a Pentiment physical release for PS5 or Switch! That game is awesome. I never thought this game going to PS was possible because of how small it was. But this is good news (if true)

Definitely the 2 games I'd want to play the most from Xbox so I'm pretty happy with this news. Wonder how Xbox fans will react, especially the more hardcore ones as Pentiment was often propped up as a darling for how diverse Xbox is...now that's gonna be PS lol

Edit, these 2 and State of Decay 2. Really hope they bring SoD2 over. I'd be aaaaaaall over that

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The people who made these games are probably thrilled that more people will get to play them. It will be interesting to see how well they sell.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
How long before Sony launch their games on other platforms?

If MS make bank from it, Sony will follow.

Sony already does launch their games on another platform - PC. However, they launch most titles first on PS because console sales matter to them. They're in quite a different position than MS in this aspect. I don't expect to ever see them release games on Xbox. As well, the user base on Xbox is small and Game Pass makes selling software a bit of an uphill struggle.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony can sell their hardware, MS can't.

There are fewer and fewer console gamers to sell the hardware to. Sony won't top the PS4 numbers with the PS5
Sony already does launch their games on another platform - PC. However, they launch most titles first on PS because console sales matter to them. They're in quite a different position than MS in this aspect. I don't expect to ever see them release games on Xbox. As well, the user base on Xbox is small and Game Pass makes selling software a bit of an uphill struggle.
They're in the same position Microsoft was in five/ten years ago; they've abandoned their target audience, almost entirely stopped making exclusives and their output has crawled to a halt.

Sony, just like Microsoft did, are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. Partly because they've lost their way and partly because the industry, demographic and market have all shifted towards alternative ways of spending their time.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There are fewer and fewer console gamers to sell the hardware to. Sony won't top the PS4 numbers with the PS5
I agree. It will surpass them.

They're in the same position Microsoft was in five/ten years ago; they've abandoned their target audience, almost entirely stopped making exclusives and their output has crawled to a halt.
With a key difference: Their products are desirable.

Sony, just like Microsoft did, are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. Partly because they've lost their way and partly because the industry, demographic and market have all shifted towards alternative ways of spending their time.
I do agree with this.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

I don't really agree with your assessment and am unclear where you are getting your opinions from. All you've given is your view that Sony has lost their way and that they will follow MS' footsteps because porting games to a struggling console could make them money.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

“There are fewer and fewer console gamers to sell the hardware to. Sony won't top the PS4 numbers with the PS5”. You don’t really believe that don’t you? Lol Sony hasn’t launched the PS5 Pro yet, also there will be a GTA VI bundle which will give them a huge boost. They didn’t have that last gen.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I agree. It will surpass them.
The market is smaller and a recession is upon us.
With a key difference: Their products are desirable.
And are becoming less so by the year. What's the attach rate of hardware to software for the ps5?
I do agree with this.

Already happened. Need a new talking point.

It's not a talking point. Bookmark this post for the end of the gen, I may not be around to say "I told you so" and you'll have to do it yourself.

I don't really agree with your assessment and am unclear where you are getting your opinions from. All you've given is your view that Sony has lost their way and that they will follow MS' footsteps because porting games to a struggling console could make them money.
Sony have more options than MS. Sony would love Horizon, GoW and ratchet to launch on switch and its' 110 million owners.

“There are fewer and fewer console gamers to sell the hardware to. Sony won't top the PS4 numbers with the PS5”. You don’t really believe that don’t you? Lol Sony hasn’t launched the PS5 Pro yet, also there will be a GTA VI bundle which will give them a huge boost. They didn’t have that last gen.
No, last gen they had the media hating them, shills lying about them, a parent company in financial tatters, a shifting demographic, a stronger competitor and yet, despite that sold 120 million ps4s

This gen they have a fantastic, well designed piece of hardware, the best VR headset on the market, the entire home console market to themselves and a competitor that's about to leave the industry. Yet, they are porting games to PC to make up for poor sales, yes, a flagship AAA exclusive, one of very few that year, failing to sell to less than 20% of their console base is not a good sign.

Their studios are not giving the output required of them, save for insomniac and the other studios are doing what they want. Sony are following Microsoft's footsteps 1:1 and it won't end as well as you think it will.

Sony sold the PS5 on hype, hype that should have been easily delivered considering the pedigree and history of the Playstation brand. However, Sony haven't even lived up to their former glory and look like they will live someone's else's former misery.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Anyone who thinks Sony's last resort will be publishing on Xbox of all platforms needs their heads checked.

It will almost certainly be switch 2 if even that lol.

Also Sony are doing great overall in terms of numbers, what they need to control is cost, and that's gonna be far simpler considering your main competition is leaving the hardware space soon (Don't really believe in any of the new Xbox hardware rumors tbh).

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Sony have more options than MS. Sony would love Horizon, GoW and ratchet to launch on switch and its' 110 million owners.

You know this...how? Your opinions don't necessarily align with corporate strategy you are not privy to. And aside from that, would those games even run on a Switch?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
How long before Sony launch their games on other platforms?

If MS make bank from it, Sony will follow.
Xbox has a small install base and Xbox owners don't seem to buy many games, Sony has no incentives to do it.

Sony is already porting most of their games to PC, a far bigger market than Xbox.

The Switch can't even run Sony PS4 games.

Last edited: