why PlayStation won't fail even without true exclusive games

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
The casuals dont not care what they are playing on lol
They will just buy whatever is cheaper, especially since we have cross play now.
Nintendo with a proper Fifa and call of duty release will be very interesting. It might hurt Sony even harder than before.

Maybe you guys are from outside Europe so you miss out on it but PS branding and marketing regarding football is very strong
Commercials of PS every CL match before, in the break and after. During matches on the sponsor boarding. And in the past you would get the standard CoD commercial if there was one coming, last year they really ramped that up (prob cause it was the last one) that will be filled now with something else.

GO1oWIhXYAAGfCm.jpg:large

People in my circle and family get a Switch cause it's the ''safe'' family curated content to their kids (and Switch Lite is cheap).
I'm the only ''gamer uncle'' in the fam so every time they come over they are mad excited to play PS5, they see it as the cool console (the little ones love Astrobot btw)
I ain't fronting but if you are on PC or Xbox you get looked at as a geek, it's similar to women with Android & IOS. Steam/PC you are an instant nerd/unattractive to women. Ofc this shouldn't matter or affect your enjoyment just talking about perception by casuals/mainstream here.

24 Jun 2022
All I know is, if Valve bring out a Steam Laptop in the next few years, that and Switch 2 will very likely be my go-to gaming devices. With how Xbox is and the way it seems PlayStation is trending, I don't see a need for an Xbox or PlayStation system anymore, for my own use-case scenario (I can get their games on Steam and in PS's case I don't have FOMO so I'm fine with waiting for what will likely become shorter stagger times anyway between PS & PC for non-GAAS titles.

I'm not speaking for the market nor do I care about the rest of the market; for me, going forward it would be those two systems (Switch 2, Steam Laptop (preferably with eGPU support like another dock). Or, Switch 2 & Steam Deck Next if/when they make a Steam Deck that's powerful enough for certain productivity work (and also has a dock available). I'd much rather be using Steam OS/Linux vs Windows with some of the BS Microsoft want to introduce to their OS.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Maybe you guys are from outside Europe so you miss out on it but PS branding and marketing regarding football is very strong
Commercials of PS every CL match before, in the break and after. During matches on the sponsor boarding. And in the past you would get the standard CoD commercial if there was one coming, last year they really ramped that up (prob cause it was the last one) that will be filled now with something else.

People in my circle and family get a Switch cause it's the ''safe'' family curated content to their kids (and Switch Lite is cheap).
I'm the only ''gamer uncle'' in the fam so every time they come over they are mad excited to play PS5, they see it as the cool console (the little ones love Astrobot btw)
I ain't fronting but if you are on PC or Xbox you get looked at as a geek, it's similar to women with Android & IOS. Steam/PC you are an instant nerd/unattractive to women. Ofc this shouldn't matter or affect your enjoyment just talking about perception by casuals/mainstream here.

Pretty much.

Playstation is the default gaming brand, Nintendo is the kid friendly option with Mario, PC is still more or less seen as the nerdy alternative and Xbox is just non existent.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024

Maybe you are right. I dont watch sports and I live alongside people who dont look at the world in this strange way.

24 Jun 2022
Pretty much.

Playstation is the default gaming brand, Nintendo is the kid friendly option with Mario, PC is still more or less seen as the nerdy alternative and Xbox is just non existent.

Yeah all those streamers who only or majority play on PC influencing millions of youth's gaming preferences, definitely super-niche.

Yeah the platform that in more & more cases has sales ratios closing in on PlayStation or even beating it for some select titles, super-niche.

The cope ITT is unreal, and I say that as someone who genuinely wants the best for PlayStation consoles but has come to accept my own views simply don't align with the majority of SIE's (or definitely the influential shareholders/investors SIE are prioritizing above literally everyone else).

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Then why aren't they buying a Series S instead of a PS5? It's cheaper and has Gamepass.
Becouse people in Europe and third world countrues prefer to buy physical games. And marketing also plays a significant role in this. The majority does not even know about the existance of a series s, and are instantly turned off when they hear about subscriptions.
Also, exclusives!
Spiderman, God Of War Ragnarok, these games sell consoles and are a significant part of decision making when buying a console.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Yeah all those streamers who only or majority play on PC influencing millions of youth's gaming preferences, definitely super-niche.

Yeah the platform that in more & more cases has sales ratios closing in on PlayStation or even beating it for some select titles, super-niche.

The cope ITT is unreal, and I say that as someone who genuinely wants the best for PlayStation consoles but has come to accept my own views simply don't align with the majority of SIE's (or definitely the influential shareholders/investors SIE are prioritizing above literally everyone else).

I'm talking about the general public in Europe, not just the gen z crowd

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Becouse people in Europe and third world countrues prefer to buy physical games. And marketing also plays a significant role in this. The majority does not even know about the existance of a series s, and are instantly turned off when they hear about subscriptions.
Also, exclusives!
Spiderman, God Of War Ragnarok, these games sell consoles and are a significant part of decision making when buying a console.

So casuals don't just buy the cheapest option.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
So casuals don't just buy the cheapest option.
Is it the cheapest though? Just becouse the console is cheaper at the entry price, doesnt mean It's cheaper in usage. It doesnt have a disc drive, which is basically a dealbreaker for everyone out there. No one is gonna bother buying gift cards to be able to actually afford anything in these stores with these horrenderus digital prices.

24 Jun 2022
I'm talking about the general public in Europe, not just the gen z crowd

The people I was referring to also include a lot of Millennials, especially the younger ones. And yes that'd cover Europe as well.

But really, at the end of the day I just care about serving my own gaming preferences/tastes; four years ago a PS console would've always been one of those options in the picture. However as time goes on that appears significantly less likely and it's not because I want it to happen that way.

It just is what it is.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
The people I was referring to also include a lot of Millennials, especially the younger ones. And yes that'd cover Europe as well.

But really, at the end of the day I just care about serving my own gaming preferences/tastes; four years ago a PS console would've always been one of those options in the picture. However as time goes on that appears significantly less likely and it's not because I want it to happen that way.

It just is what it is.

I mean, just move on then. I just find these overreactions around here tiring.

"If Valve launches a console, PS is dead"

They tried and failed.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke and Muddasar

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Is it the cheapest though? Just becouse the console is cheaper at the entry price, doesnt mean It's cheaper in usage. It doesnt have a disc drive, which is basically a dealbreaker for everyone out there. No one is gonna bother buying gift cards to be able to actually afford anything in these stores with these horrenderus digital prices.

People go for brand recognition and Playstation has plenty in Europe. If people worried so much about price they would have bought a Series X, which has a disc drive and is often cheaper than a PS5.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
People go for brand recognition and Playstation has plenty in Europe.
Series S? Lmao, one of the worst console of all time. You think PS is unbeatable just because it beat the Series consoles? :ROFLMAO:

You simply seem to be incapable of understanding the concept of a console-like PC, with proper UI and just as easy to use, bigger library, free online, free cloud storage, better refund policy, multiple stores, etc.

PlayStation is as essential as an Xbox these days and will matter even less as the last few remaining exclusives get ported to PC.

PlayStation marketing all along was "Best place to Play", "Only on PlayStation". Why is PlayStation the best place to play now? What is only on PlayStation?

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Series S? Lmao, one of the worst console of all time. You think PS is unbeatable just because it beat the Series consoles? :ROFLMAO:

You simply seem to be incapable of understanding the concept of a console-like PC, with proper UI and just as easy to use, bigger library, free online, free cloud storage, better refund policy, multiple stores, etc.

Yeah but that's all it is, a concept. It only exists in your head. You keep talking about it like it's a real thing.

The thing is, Valve has tried before and failed. I bet Valve doesn't even have the logistics to put enough systems on shelf, let alone outproduce Sony.

Valve can't even bother to make Half Life 3. What makes you guys think they'll just produce a console in enough quantities to compete with Playstation?

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Honestly the delusion from Steambots is only matched by the doom mongers who back them.

Sega couldn’t do it, Nintendo couldn’t do it and neither could Microsoft will their proper consoles.

Valve will LOL. Valve LOL.

There is only one company which would take Sony out of the console market and that is Apple.

They did it once with the IPODs killing the Walkman.

Surprised they have ventured into the console market again. I believe they did have a console in the past.

"There is only one company which would take Sony out of the console market and that is Apple." Delusional 😂

MrAss

24 May 2024
PC gamers are like "Why would you buy a console if you can play the same games on PC?"
Casual gamers "Why would I build a gaming PC if I can just buy a console to play the same games?"

Reactions: voke

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
There has been an actual report by ESA based on USA that actually Gen Alpha/Z are more on console than the previous gen and the % is higher on console than PC. It's the boomers that were more on PC. So the narrative of consoles dying with the young gen can go out the door.

People really need to knock it with the narrative that young folks can afford a beast PC rig or that majority of parents are able to afford them one.

It doesn't help when the most popular streamers with the youth does a PS5 give-away and every headline is his name, NY riot and PS5 in it. Or uses the Xbox as a stepping stool to proceed playing Elden Ring on a Dual Sense on stream.

Imo those streamers rather influence youth with YT/Stream careers. I mean MS tried to pull it off with Mixer & Ninja to influence youth but failed.

Maybe you are right. I dont watch sports and I live alongside people who dont look at the world in this strange way.
Branding and image is a powerful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.